Shane Doan appreciation thread

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Would Doan be such a piece of crap if he spent the last 20 years losing in Toronto or Edmonton?

How dare he like and want to play in Arizona, how dare he?

Hes made racist comments and and been a dirty player.

He's also the epitome of "I don't wanna play in Canada because of pressure."

That said, you have a point about Canadian fans.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I was honored to have covered him during my days as a Beat reporter for the team. He's the type of player that teams use as a model for an NHL captain. He was a fierce competitor on the ice, he was literally the face of the franchise during the good times and especially bad. Whenever the Coyotes played really really bad he faced the music alone like a ****ing champ. He went above and beyond the call of any captain answering questions during the offseason during the ownership saga. He was a hard worker and an exemplary model of a man with style grace and character. The man deserved to write the latter half of his career the way he wanted and he did.

Typically he doesn't make any decision about his career (contract, retirement, etc) until around or after the NHL Awards in June. I'd be shocked if he made a decision about his career before then.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I was honored to have covered him during my days as a Beat reporter for the team. He's the type of player that teams use as a model for an NHL captain. He was a fierce competitor on the ice, he was literally the face of the franchise during the good times and especially bad. Whenever the Coyotes player really really bad he faced the music alone like a ****ing champ. He went above and beyond the call of any captain answering questions during the ownership saga. He was a hard worker and an exemplary model of a man with style grace and character. The man deserved to write the latter half of his career the way he wanted and he did.

Typically he doesn't make any decision about his career (contract, retirement, etc) until around or after the NHL Awards in June. I'd be shocked if he made a decision about his career before then.

Not a surprise that someone who actually knows the guy, and has some first hand knowledge thinks highly of Doan.

Meanwhile, a bunch of Calgary and Toronto fans, whose long-serving captains (Iginla, Sundin) left to chase a cup, are taking a dump on him. Hmmmm...

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I was honored to have covered him during my days as a Beat reporter for the team. He's the type of player that teams use as a model for an NHL captain. He was a fierce competitor on the ice, he was literally the face of the franchise during the good times and especially bad. Whenever the Coyotes played really really bad he faced the music alone like a ****ing champ. He went above and beyond the call of any captain answering questions during the offseason during the ownership saga. He was a hard worker and an exemplary model of a man with style grace and character. The man deserved to write the latter half of his career the way he wanted and he did.

Get outta here. What could you possibly know about him, other than that he obviously loves losing?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Love Doan. Second in career goals, assists and points among players drafted from the Kamloops Blazers in 1995. I hope that he comes back for another season next year so that people can lose their minds in a Doan appreciation thread a year from now.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I was at the game on Saturday, so if he retires, even as an opposing fan, it was cool to be at his last game. He talked to the crowd after the game and seemed pretty sincere, the fans obviously love him so it was a pretty cool moment.

He's obviously very respected around the league. Several Wild players went up after the game to talk to him briefly.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Have no issues with Doan staying in AZ and prioritizing his family above all, that's his decision and I can't fault him on that. My issue is he is a dirty player and a whinner but somehow is seen as a saint, where other players do the same and are seen as villains.

Says the guy with a pic of Dustin Brown as his avatar. :laugh:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Good career and the face of the Coyotes franchise. You don't see many players sticking with one team nowadays. Oh and Winnipeg Jets 1.0 says your welcome for having the foresight to draft him.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Well I mean the comments towards french canadians kind of sting.

Allegation, brotha.

You act like you've never been accused of something that you didn't do :laugh:

Who knows if he did or not? I'm not trying to get you to like him, frankly i don't care. I just hope you're never in the position where it's your word against someone elses, because it sounds like it sucks. I'm sure Patrick Kane didn't like being labeled for what he was accused of doing either.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Lots of great fathers in the NHL go to teams with a better chance to win. It doesn't mean family is not #1.

Actually, it kinda is a bit selfish.

What's with all the hate on this site? Iginla and now Doan?

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Says the guy with a pic of Dustin Brown as his avatar. :laugh:

Never said Brown was a saint, I'd happily have Doan on the Kings if he was younger. Two of my favorite players of all time were Stevens and Pronger but Brown has never been portrayed as a saint who could do no wrong like Doan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad