News Article: Shanahan was unaware of agreement for Lamoriello to talk to Tavares (NY Post)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Permission or no permission he should not have talked with him. What was said? Did he know he was going to work with NYI? Did he tell JT not to come to Toronto?

You almost need an investigation into it. What was said on who's behalf etc. If I am Toronto I am pissed off and looking for damages potentially and if not that for certain to have JT and the agent etc questioned about the matter.

Laugh or not but... Was it corporate espionage??
Wtf are you talking about ?

If the article is to be believed LL was granted permission from ownership as has been said numerous times so you being upset about it means f***ing squat .

I have no idea why people are getting so worked up , all I've heard since Dubas' has been hired is Lou was a useless dinasaour and Hunter was hugely over rated but now some are upset that the useless old man had a meeting with JT .

The victim menality runs deep in our fan base .

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
How does this look from a Bell/Rogers shareholder perspective?

You either have an ownership group duped by their own GM, and competing ownership, into approving a meeting with JT, ultimately improving the competition. Or you have an ownership group complicit in the decision to help a competing team at the detriment to their own.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
How does this look from a Bell/Rogers shareholder perspective?

You either have an ownership group duped by their own GM, and competing ownership, into approving a meeting with JT, ultimately improving the competition. Or you have an ownership group complicit in the decision to help a competing team at the detriment to their own.
I don't think they'll care much.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's certainly strange until JT signs with us... then it gets legal? Sounds this secret meeting sabotaged or complicated anything JT with us. I don't know why our ownership would approve anything like this, it's just weird especially prior to knowing we are in the running for JT and the connection Lou has with the NYI.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wtf are you talking about ?

If the article is to be believed LL was granted permission from ownership as has been said numerous times so you being upset about it means ****ing squat .

I have no idea why people are getting so worked up , all I've heard since Dubas' has been hired is Lou was a useless dinasaour and Hunter was hugely over rated but now some are upset that the useless old man had a meeting with JT .

The victim menality runs deep in our fan base .

Nothing victim about it. The fact the meeting happened basically means JT will not be coming here and if he did, NYI as an organization could probably raise a stink.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Nothing victim about it. The fact the meeting happened basically means JT will not be coming here and if he did, NYI as an organization could probably raise a stink.

Well, then JT Never really wanted to come to TO. If he did, it would likely happen and LL has no bearing what so ever.

Reactions: hotpaws

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I don't think Lou would have acted in the interest of the Leafs (ie. Shanahan) when he's becoming the new hockey boss of the Isles, equivalent to Shanny's role here.

Im not suggesting the leafs tampered. They didn't, but this statement is to just keep the league from thinking the leafs tampered

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I would not overthink this one. I think it is pretty simple. Islanders owner called league and Leafs ownership and got permission to speak to Lou about presidents position. League said would be ok if Leafs agreed. Leafs owner would have talked to Shanny in playoffs about this request as it happened in playoffs apparently. Lou said no way I work for Leafs as GM and as long as I am GM I am here. Once Shanny picked Dubas then Leafs owners and Lou would have talked and Lou would have moved on. He said nothing in press as quite frankly why would he. He was still working on details of his deal and how he wanted things in the island. Maybe things don't work out with Islanders owner and he stays on with Leaf role. Once he agreed on deal maybe it had some legal stuff to work out before official. There may have been a period there where he was a free agent after giving Leafs notice of leaving. Lou would have asked league and leafs for permission before speaking to Tavares that is for sure. Leafs owner may have decided not to let Shanny know as he was not working for Shanny anymore. Also they may know the relationships between Shannahan's and Taveres' at broader family level. So maybe it puts Shanny into a conflict of interest situation. Who knows exactly what those legal implications are? But why put your president in any risk. If he knows nothing than no one can come after him. I think it was the smart thing to do.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Its a question of what he had permission to talk to the islanders on. Usually it's a discussion of interview/contract/negotiation/etc..

You'd think asking Tavares about the Isles would be fine, but he crosses an (unprovable) line if he's negotiating/influencing him to re-@ as a Leafs employee.
He had permission from the Leafs to talk to the Islanders if he had only expressed permission to talk to only the management then he was in the wrong. If there was not a expressed limitation on who from the Islanders he could talk with then he was free to talk to anyone from the janitor to the owner.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He had permission from the Leafs to talk to the Islanders if he had only expressed permission to talk to only the management then he was in the wrong. If there was not a expressed limitation on who from the Islanders he could talk with then he was free to talk to anyone from the janitor to the owner.
Usually it's expressed or implied on what they speak about, rather than with who.

There's a difference between negotiating terms/ discussing their situation and acting on the teams behalf.

I have no idea what was said but that's be the question that dictates of he was in the right or wrong IMO.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

If he had Leafs consent I don't really see an issue with the league, and certainly whatever he discussed with JT would have been for the Isles benefit, not the Leafs. Not sure why it couldn't wait until he was on the payroll though. The issue I do have is that this sounds like Shanny was not in the loop and the people above him in the food chain need to understand they are not qualified to make actual hockey decisions. How often has that ever worked out? Just because your a boss doesn't mean you circumvent the chain of command you are part of. You hire the smart guy and let him do his job.
Having said that, when Shanny told the Board what was happening with Lou's GM role he may have said something like "once he's out the door we don't care what he does" or something close, to reassure them that doing this before the draft wouldn't hurt the team. That would appear to suggest they could respond to the Isles when contacted. I think BS would have agreed to the meeting, but he still probably should have been told.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This is all sketchy AF. Which fits with Lou's modus operandi well, though most Leafs fans seem largely oblivious to this until now.

This is a "euphemism" for Robidas Island...so, you're right...right in line with the way Lou operates.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's certainly strange until JT signs with us... then it gets legal? Sounds this secret meeting sabotaged or complicated anything JT with us. I don't know why our ownership would approve anything like this, it's just weird especially prior to knowing we are in the running for JT and the connection Lou has with the NYI.
He had permission to talk with the Islanders there is nothing wrong with what Lou did J.T. is an Islanders and Lou had permission to talk to anyone from the Islanders and he took the job. It would have been a much bigger deal had he remained a Leaf and spoke to him about signing with the Leafs.

The article is nonsense mentioning that Garth Snow did not know makes it so. Why would the Islanders inform Snow that they were interviewing Lou for Snows job!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Usually it's expressed or implied on what they speak about, rather than with who.

There's a difference between negotiating teams/ discussing their situation and acting on the teams behalf.

I have no idea what was said but that's be the question that dictates of he was in the right or wrong IMO.

I don't see how Leafs ownership would give Lou permission to speak to Tavares while still a Leaf employee unless they are just dumb and ignorant...that optic looks really bad...perhaps Leaf ownership thought something else, while Lou had other plans, which included talking to Tavares and wasn't being completely upfront about it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He had permission to talk with the Islanders there is nothing wrong with what Lou did J.T. is an Islanders and Lou had permission to talk to anyone from the Islanders and he took the job. It would have been a much bigger deal had he remained a Leaf and spoke to him about signing with the Leafs.

The article is nonsense mentioning that Garth Snow did not know makes it so. Why would the Islanders inform Snow that they were interviewing Lou for Snows job!

Good point.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
If he is under contract with the Leafs , no matter how tenuous it may have been, he is still TML property and would need permission to speak with any player under contract with the NYI. NYI would need permission from the Leafs to speak with Lou about any new role with them.

And what did i say? if he has permission from Shanny to speak to the Islanders, and the islanders ownership give him permission to speak to JT, then he doesnt need additional permission from Shanny to do so.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
If management on both sides allowed NYI to talk to Lou and for Lou to talk to JT on Leafs behalf, of course Lou conversation with JT was on behalf for his employer at the time the Leafs. :sarcasm:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Did more information come out about this, or is thread still on fire with arguments about facts we don't have?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Did more information come out about this, or is thread still on fire with arguments about facts we don't have?

Yesterday on That's Hockey it was reported that NYI hired Lou Lam with the/his #1 goal is to get Tavares re-signed long-term. Lou Lam has been in contact daily with JT and his agent and NYI ownership are hoping his experience successfully gets their franchise player signed.

If Lou is successful in getting JT to sign you have to wonder if Lou Lam was still Leafs GM would he have been able to get Tavares signature on Leafs deal.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Yesterday on That's Hockey it was reported that NYI hired Lou Lam with the/his #1 goal is to get Tavares re-signed long-term. Lou Lam has been in contact daily with JT and his agent and NYI ownership are hoping his experience successfully gets their franchise player signed.

If Lou is successful in getting JT to sign you have to wonder if Lou Lam was still Leafs GM would he have been able to get Tavares signature on Leafs deal.

Curious as to what strategy LL would use. NYI must be quite concerned if they felt they had to do this just to re-sign JT.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Curious as to what strategy LL would use. NYI must be quite concerned if they felt they had to do this just to re-sign JT.

They're count on Lou Lam's knowledge and experience to make this happen by selling JT on the future with NYI with Lou involving Tavares in the plan and discussion as to the teams direction going forward..

Garth Snow not being trusted to get the job done or JT would have already signed on.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
They're count on Lou Lam's knowledge and experience to make this happen by selling JT on the future with NYI with Lou involving Tavares in the plan and discussion as to the teams direction going forward..

Garth Snow not being trusted to get the job done or JT would have already signed on.

Or perhaps JT is playing them big-time and has no intention of re-signing. We'll see eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad