News Article: Shanahan was unaware of agreement for Lamoriello to talk to Tavares (NY Post)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think the Leafs genuinely didn't know that Lou was going to talk to Tavares about staying in Long Island. Further, I don't think the Leafs (Shanahan/Dubas/Babcock) cared all that much, once they found out, but not because they don't see themselves pursuing JT this summer. In fact, and perhaps this is wishful thinking, I think they feel that Lou meeting with JT out of nowhere reeks of desperation on the Islanders behalf, and that JT and his agent will see exactly that. I mean, what else would JT think when he reads the headline, after meeting with Lou, that nobody in Toronto and also Garth Snow didn't know about it? I believe he would chalk it up as yet another shady move by the franchise, which already has a checkered past, and perhaps he should simply walk away and go elsewhere.

With that, I do believe the Leafs will eventually meet with Pat Brisson and JT, and Brendan Shanahan will be the ultimate pitch man in that meeting, because he shares so many similarities from his playing career with JT (early draft pick, from Ontario, had to move on from his first team to eventually find success). If JT truly puts winning first before anything else (which I believe he does), and if the Leafs can manage their cap and fit JT in without putting the rest of the core in jeopardy, the chances of him signing in Toronto might be alot higher than people think.

*fingers crossed*

Extending Matthews would require a conversation with Matthews agent regarding comparables and such. What centers will be paid in the league will be a relevant discussion. This conversation likely would not have occurred before the leafs were done in the playoffs. Any plans for JT would likely have been put on hold until information becomes available. With no information, a lot of strategy would be deferred. While meeting with Matthews agent, market information could be shared. It just so happens that Matthews agent is JT's agent. Strategies can start to be built. I think there is a real chance JT is a target or Lou wouldn't have been in such a rush.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Geez. The cap will be fine. Leafs had a lot of space taken up on dead contracts (Ie Lupul) + Cap going up + Not all 3 need ext this yr + Marleau off the books after this yr (1-2m actual money to a high cap hit is Zona bound). I dont see where we dont have $$? Unless you think Marner and Nylander are getting 10+ mil each, which, let me tell you, turn off your PS4 and stop giving bad deals in NHL18
this is a very flawed post. lupul is a free agent so his cap doesn't not count anymore. only nathan horton's cap hit won't count against our cap, but 3.7 of that 5.3 million is being used on bonuses, so its only 1.6 million really. marleau is not arizona bound at all. just because he will be 40 when his contract is up does not mean he will be traded to a team that needs that can't afford a high salary and want a hig cap hit. he has a nmc that restricts him from doing that and no way in hell will he waive it. he wants to win a cup. matthews marner and nylander will cost at least 24 million dollars and tavares will cost at least 10 himself. thats at least 34 million for four forwards. that nearly half of the cap space going into next season. that leaves them 48 million for 19 other roser spots (i.e 2.5 million per player) if the cap goes up by 7 million (unlikely that will happen). with zaitsev, andersen, reilly, kadri, marleau included, thats 23 million for 14 roster spots. tack on brown, gardiner, hainsey, hyman and martin and the leafs are left with 11 million for 11 spots. thats a terrible place to be in cap wise. a load of cap trouble without any significant improves to the most important area (defense)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
this is a very flawed post. lupul is a free agent so his cap doesn't not count anymore. only nathan horton's cap hit won't count against our cap, but 3.7 of that 5.3 million is being used on bonuses, so its only 1.6 million really. marleau is not arizona bound at all. just because he will be 40 when his contract is up does not mean he will be traded to a team that needs that can't afford a high salary and want a hig cap hit. he has a nmc that restricts him from doing that and no way in hell will he waive it. he wants to win a cup. matthews marner and nylander will cost at least 24 million dollars and tavares will cost at least 10 himself. thats at least 34 million for four forwards. that nearly half of the cap space going into next season. that leaves them 48 million for 19 other roser spots (i.e 2.5 million per player) if the cap goes up by 7 million (unlikely that will happen). with zaitsev, andersen, reilly, kadri, marleau included, thats 23 million for 14 roster spots. tack on brown, gardiner, hainsey, hyman and martin and the leafs are left with 11 million for 11 spots. thats a terrible place to be in cap wise. a load of cap trouble without any significant improves to the most important area (defense)
That wakes no sense. Mathews & Marner will not kick in for another year. After that, Hainsey & Gardiner will be gone. Martin will be moved. (about 9.5MM). One year after that Marleau is gone.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That wakes no sense. Mathews & Marner will not kick in for another year. After that, Hainsey & Gardiner will be gone. Martin will be moved. (about 9.5MM). One year after that Marleau is gone.
the leafs can't afford tavares long term. maybe next season, they can, but after that no way its possible. martin isn't guaranteed to be moved and who will replace hainsey and gardiner? the leafs will only have 2 defenders under contract in 2019 and if they hypotheically get tavares, they are spending 34 million for the big 4 plus 38.6 for 9 other players and the kessel retention. this calculation is only including 2 defenders btw.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they can sign Tavares they will find a way to make the cap work, not a concern.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Extending Matthews would require a conversation with Matthews agent regarding comparables and such. What centers will be paid in the league will be a relevant discussion. This conversation likely would not have occurred before the leafs were done in the playoffs. Any plans for JT would likely have been put on hold until information becomes available. With no information, a lot of strategy would be deferred. While meeting with Matthews agent, market information could be shared. It just so happens that Matthews agent is JT's agent. Strategies can start to be built. I think there is a real chance JT is a target or Lou wouldn't have been in such a rush.

Good point re. Brisson being both of their agents.

If JT decides he wants to continue in Long Island, I have no issue with it, as long is it isn't because Lou said some detrimental stuff about Toronto that JT suddenly bought into. I highly doubt that would be the case, because it would just make Lou and the Islanders look desperate and silly. Stranger things have happened with that team though. And if a franchise guy wants to stick it out with the team that originally drafted him for loyalty reasons, more power to him. I would certainly feel that way if JT was with Toronto, and things were not looking that great for the franchise. Or if it was Matthews in the same situation 10 years from now. I like it when players remain loyal to their fan base, first and foremost. Once the door opens up to other potential opportunities, however, it's all fair game.

And I agree that there likely would not have been any meaningful conversations anyways prior to the playoffs ending, and that there would definitely be a plan in place for those conversations afterwards. Both sides have a vested interest to meet, and if they both want to make it happen, they will. Lots of positive factors pointing towards Toronto in this scenario compared to the Stamkos scenario last off season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And I agree that there likely would not have been any meaningful conversations anyways prior to the playoffs ending, and that there would definitely be a plan in place for those conversations afterwards. Both sides have a vested interest to meet, and if they both want to make it happen, they will. Lots of positive factors pointing towards Toronto in this scenario compared to the Stamkos scenario last off season.
This the major difference compared with Stamkos in 2016. During that whole lead up to will Stamkos leave Tampa and sign with Toronto it was reported that Steve Yzerman offered him a contract extension. We all know Stamkos eventually meet with Shanahan and Leafs management and later that same day he re-signed in Tampa for the same deal which Yzerman was offering. Personally I always believed he wanted the experience of the UFA discussion period. However with Tavares there have been no reports of the Snow before today offering Tavares a new contract and what the numbers could be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This the major difference compared with Stamkos in 2016. During that whole lead up to will Stamkos leave Tampa and sign with Toronto it was reported that Steve Yzerman offered him a contract extension. We all know Stamkos eventually meet with Shanahan and Leafs management and later that same day he re-signed in Tampa for the same deal which Yzerman was offering. Personally I always believed he wanted the experience of the UFA discussion period. However with Tavares there have been no reports of the Snow before today offering Tavares a new contract and what the numbers could be.

IMO the major difference is that TB is a top contender and is well positioned to stay that way for years to come. NYI on the other hand ...

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
That's another great point and I can't believe I forgot that fact.

Yup, Nylund is bang on about how TB last offseason and NYI this offseason are almost at opposite ends of the contender spectrum, and that’s clearly a major factor in Tavares’ decision, just as it was in Stamkos’ decision.

One other interesting tidbit that I’m sure is in the back of JT’s mind is how the Leafs have already tried twice to get him in their organization. Once as a 17-year old to play for the Marlies prior to his draft year, and then again just before he was drafted, when Burke unsolicitly announced to the media that he was going to try acquire the top pick from the Islanders. Both attempts were huge long shots, but the message was clear, the Leafs really wanted JT to know that they wanted him.

So, this free agency period will be the third time they try to get him, and I think this time there’s actually a more than decent chance it happens. I think everything depends on Shanahan’s sales pitch trumping Lou’s sales pitch on staying in NY. And I really think Shanny has a very good chance of being successful. He should be able to relate to JT more than anyone else pitching to him, considering his history as a player. Both Shanny and JT were high draft picks by mediocre teams. Both were star lacrosse players growing up. Both are from southern Ontario. They are similar in so many ways, it’s scary. Add to that the outlook for the Leafs moving forward with the big three young stars up front, and JT wanting to win now, and you can see why I’m rather optimistic.

Everything starts with JT saying goodbye to the Isles, and hopefully he sees the desperation written all over these latest moves that they’re making. Quite ironic how this last ditch effort by the Isles involves Lou, coming fresh from Toronto, to try and keep JT in Long Island.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
To Toronto: John Tavares rights

To islanders: Bozak, jvr rights, conditional pick if Toronto signs Tavares.

Can Tavares sign for 8 years if he is traded to Toronto before he’s a UFA?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
To Toronto: John Tavares rights

To islanders: Bozak, jvr rights, conditional pick if Toronto signs Tavares.

Can Tavares sign for 8 years if he is traded to Toronto before he’s a UFA?

Can't get eight years with a trade and sign. Could with a sign and trade though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yup, Nylund is bang on about how TB last offseason and NYI this offseason are almost at opposite ends of the contender spectrum, and that’s clearly a major factor in Tavares’ decision, just as it was in Stamkos’ decision.

One other interesting tidbit that I’m sure is in the back of JT’s mind is how the Leafs have already tried twice to get him in their organization. Once as a 17-year old to play for the Marlies prior to his draft year, and then again just before he was drafted, when Burke unsolicitly announced to the media that he was going to try acquire the top pick from the Islanders. Both attempts were huge long shots, but the message was clear, the Leafs really wanted JT to know that they wanted him.

So, this free agency period will be the third time they try to get him, and I think this time there’s actually a more than decent chance it happens. I think everything depends on Shanahan’s sales pitch trumping Lou’s sales pitch on staying in NY. And I really think Shanny has a very good chance of being successful. He should be able to relate to JT more than anyone else pitching to him, considering his history as a player. Both Shanny and JT were high draft picks by mediocre teams. Both were star lacrosse players growing up. Both are from southern Ontario. They are similar in so many ways, it’s scary. Add to that the outlook for the Leafs moving forward with the big three young stars up front, and JT wanting to win now, and you can see why I’m rather optimistic.

Everything starts with JT saying goodbye to the Isles, and hopefully he sees the desperation written all over these latest moves that they’re making. Quite ironic how this last ditch effort by the Isles involves Lou, coming fresh from Toronto, to try and keep JT in Long Island.
If there is another thing that puts the Leafs in a position to sign Tavares is that they are a much better team today compared to the time when Stamkos re-signed in Tampa.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad