Shanahan trying to bypass little fella

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by hockeytown9321, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. hockeytown9321

hockeytown9321 Registered User

2. Bring Back Bucky

Bring Back Bucky Registered User

Hamster Trainer
  3. BuppY

BuppY xGoodwillx

Home Page:
    atleast he is trying. I would like to see hockey this year. :cry:

4. hockeytown9321

See, how can I argue with that?

5. mudcrutch79

mudcrutch79 Registered User

Home Page:
    These guys are ******ed. If they think that leadership is the problem, why don't they sit down with the owners 1-1? They'd get their lunch eaten, that's why.

I have a much harder time believing that a bunch of guys who are incredibly successful are being led down the garden path than I do believing that about a bunch of guys with high school educations.

6. hockeytown9321

If those guys are such incredibly great businessmen, how come we have the problmes we do?

7. YellHockey*

YellHockey* Guest

Because they're smart but they also know when to play stupid.

"Huh? I thought that girl was you?"

(All five people who watched Joey last night will get that one).

8. Bring Back Bucky

Hamster Trainer

Are you involved in the negotiations personally??? I think Shanahan is an idiot, you don't need to convince me otherwise. I just don't like him, so don't feel you need to argue otherwise. I like liver and onions, but I don't mind if you don't...

9. hockeytown9321

OK, but if you want people to put any stock in your opinions, maybe you should back up your reasons for thinking the guy should be driving a garbage truck.

10. Bruwinz37

Bruwinz37 Registered User

Sales
    You like liver and onions? Eww. :lol

11. Bring Back Bucky

Hamster Trainer

Maybe you shouldn't refer to Mr. Bettman as the "Little Fella" in a demeaning manner if you want the good people on the board to purchase any options in the stock of your word, either.

I didn't suggest Mr. Shanahan could DRIVE the garbage truck, I'm not sure he would be bright enough to pass the exam for the class 2 drivers license. I thought he's lucky not to be WORKING ON THE BACK. I don't look down at garbage truck employees, I have a couple of friends who work on ém. I just think he should get down on his knees and give praise & thanks to whatever higher power he subscribes to for the fact that he made 4 million dollars last year playing hockey, instead of going to work like your everyday garbageman or farm worker. He, like the average hockey fan may be frustrated that we are in this lockout, but it's a two way problem that will have to be solved by the lawyers whether we feel injusticed or not.

12. Bring Back Bucky

Hamster Trainer

Love em. I also love oysters, haddock roe, deermeat,moosemeat,spinach, chicken hearts & gizzards and a bunch of other weird stuff.

But get this: I don't eat ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise or relish.

I'm a pretty bizarre eater...

13. hockeytown9321

So its demeaning for me to call Bettman the little fella but OK when you say Shanahan should be a garbageman. OK. :dunno:

14. SwisshockeyAcademy

SwisshockeyAcademy Registered User

Home Page:
    If there was an ounce of sanity involved in NHL salaries Shanahan would not be paid half of what he currently gets.The owners need, yes need protection from themselves. The little fella as you call him will get some fiscal sanity as he is being paid to do it. Its funny a man that has been as overrated as Shanny has been, being the guy to try to solve it. He is one of the poster children for bad salaries driving the salary structure of the league through the roof.( nice guy, decent player in his day) I do not care what we ultimately call the new world order, but a link between revenues and player costs is a must and i have no idea how that can be denied. Before you try and tell me we do not know what revenues really are, I say ********. A team of good accountants can easily figure it out.

15. hockeytown9321

Which of Shanahan's contracts set the market for anybody else?

Was it any of the three times he resigned with Detroit for less than he could have goten as a free agent?

16. Uh ... isn't that what Shanahan is proposing ...

17. Hah.
    If this is true, they have no business whatsoever in any kind of business.

18. CarlRacki

CarlRacki Registered User

What constantly baffles me is why the pro-PA people (and, apparently, the members of the PA themselves) fail to understand that Bettman is working at the behest of the owners. There's a total lack of understanding of the fact he is doing the owner's bidding, not vice-versa.

19. BuppY

BuppY xGoodwillx

Home Page:
    Shanahan is setting up a meeting with people close to the game to find out ways to improve the game on the ice it has nothing to do with the CBA. :dunno:

20. zeppelin97

zeppelin97 Registered User

destroying things
    Home Page:
    Its kinda odd. Bill Daly, NHL vice president, was asked if a luxury tax could work and he said,

"If they give us a meaningful proposal, absolutely I would think that it would be incumbent on us to consider it and to see if it warrants a meaningful counter-proposal"

Strange how Daly is open and flexible to negotiating. The opposite of Bettman's inflexabilty. You can make your own conclusions, but imo, not all owners may be in favor of a salary cap. If the VP is open to luxury tax dialogue, I'm thinking there are some owners open to it as well. Theres a gag order on all owners/GMs, i believe, so we'll never know.

I don't believe for a second that all 30 owners & GMs are in favor of a salary cap and fully supporting Bettman. I think its just Bettman being anal on his own.

21. Sanderson

Sanderson Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Actually both Bettman and Daly said that a luxury tax won't work.

It's just that Daly added that if the union would make some concessions which truly bring the process forward, the league will consider giving a counter-proposal.
    That has nothing to do with Daly agreeing to a luxury tax, as the discussion consists of much more than the cap/luxury tax talk.

22. Bring Back Bucky

Hamster Trainer

I think you may need to back up on this one. I'm not doing any whining about your "meanness". I was just pointing out that you shouldn't cry foul when someone else does it. I couldn't care less if you spend your whole day coming up with clever names to make fun of Gary Bettman. But when you call someone out for being a big meanie, be prepared to show yourself to be a saint. Physician, heal thyself..

23. hockeytown9321

I'm not upset that you don't like Brendan Shanahan. I really don't care. I just find the argument that he shouldn't try to get something done because you think he's a garbageman. Who cares if you like someone or don't. If they get something done to save the league, great. I don't like Brian Burke. But I could live with his proposal.

24. mudcrutch79

mudcrutch79 Registered User

Home Page:
    Nope, he's proposing that his side maintain their advisors, while he casts blame on Bettman. If he's such a smart guy, who can see that the help is getting in the way, why doesn't he suggest ****canning Goodenow and Co.? I'm moving over towards the players side in this lockout, but the demonization of Bettman by the players (and these postings-this little fella stuff is a step away from calling the guy a New York lawyer, we all know what it's code for) is absurd. Bettman is only able to do what the owners let him.

25. ceber

ceber Registered User

What a terrible mistake that would be. Luckily, I doubt any team officials would be foolish enough to let that get very far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.