Sgarbossa called up

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Isn't he more of a shooter? Stastny desperately needs someone with some jump on his line.

He can do both. He is more of a playmaker first and doesn't shoot nearly as often as he should, but when he does shoot he can score goals in bunches. His shooting percentage is fairly ridiculous (~27% in Lake Erie).

I think for his and the teams sake he needs to keep things simple. Just let him fire the puck and not worry nearly as much about being the creative player on the line. So IMO Stastny's line fits best at the moment.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
now this could be very interesting. definitely could be a nice spark for the club but i get the distinct feeling that he will barely play and somehow get in Sacco's doghouse.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Sgarbossa and Nyquist will have very similar careers, though they are different sorts of players. Also, I am admittedly not as high on Nyquist as some.

It was Adam Oates that is a poor mans Gustav Nyquist. I was mocking Red Wings fans projections of Nyquist.

As for Sgarbossa, he seems to have a willingness to shoot and the ability to find the net from weak angles. That's certainly not something Avs fans have been spoiled with lately.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
Folks shouldn't get too carried away, his presence is just a stop-gap measure right now. The Avs' probably don't expect a great deal, their depth is being tested at this early stage and it's clear they don't have much. Ideally he would have been allowed to thrive for the remainder of the season in L.E. and used the summer to build the strength he needs to go along with the obvious confidence he's gaining. The season looks to be heading south rather quickly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well... at least Sacco views him as a center instead of just shoving him over to the wing. I'm trying to stay positive with Sacco's lines :help:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Folks shouldn't get too carried away, his presence is just a stop-gap measure right now. The Avs' probably don't expect a great deal, their depth is being tested at this early stage and it's clear they don't have much. Ideally he would have been allowed to thrive for the remainder of the season in L.E. and used the summer to build the strength he needs to go along with the obvious confidence he's gaining. The season looks to be heading south rather quickly.

How so?

Things are sunshine and rainbows here in Avaland.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure what's the best spot for him. Third line center or winger to Stastny/Duchene.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
How so?

Things are sunshine and rainbows here in Avaland.

I believe you :sarcasm:

Varly has the most potential to become the teams best player imo. Hope he is a confident guy, this current lineup is going to cause him some grief and restless nights. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well... at least Sacco views him as a center instead of just shoving him over to the wing. I'm trying to stay positive with Sacco's lines :help:

One thing about showcasing him at center is that, if he does have some success his value shoots through the roof. Not only in viability but in a more valuable position.

Kobasew - Sgar - Hejduk / I don't mind this line combo that much, Kobasew is fairly good at forchecking (When hes up to speed) and Hejduk can put the puck in the net, as well as pass.

For what we have to give him, hes getting setup for success as much as possible. I'm not surprised Mitchell is getting a shot with Stastny's line. His puck possession, and willingness to shoot has been good.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau / Looked good and was the only thing that worked last game.

Also if this works... Landeskog can be given a try next to Stastny. Which I'm starting to agree with a few people in thinking Stastny might be better for Landeskog in that he likes to slow down the game a bit more.

Landeskog wasn't bad with Duchene, but Duchene likes to drive possession himself a bit more. With Stastny, Landeskog can focus on a hard nosed simple game.

Gawd I hate Jones... Can we have one more McGinn/Landeskog type player please? That way one or both of them can play with Stastny. Why couldn't Jones have been the one to get injured instead of Downie?

Jones/Casper is the reason I would be ok with trading O'Reilly for Ryan... Landeskog - Stastny - Ryan / McGinn - Duchene - PA? Just get Jones the hell out of the top 6, and hopefully off the team so they stop putting him back there.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One thing about showcasing him at center is that, if he does have some success his value shoots through the roof. Not only in viability but in a more valuable position.

Kobasew - Sgar - Hejduk / I don't mind this line combo that much, Kobasew is fairly good at forchecking (When hes up to speed) and Hejduk can put the puck in the net, as well as pass.

For what we have to give him, hes getting setup for success as much as possible. I'm not surprised Mitchell is getting a shot with Stastny's line. His puck possession, and willingness to shoot has been good.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau / Looked good and was the only thing that worked last game.

Also if this works... Landeskog can be given a try next to Stastny. Which I'm starting to agree with a few people in thinking Stastny might be better for Landeskog in that he likes to slow down the game a bit more.

Landeskog wasn't bad with Duchene, but Duchene likes to drive possession himself a bit more. With Stastny, Landeskog can focus on a hard nosed simple game.

I agree with a lot of this. Landeskog would look better next to Stastny. Duchene's style of play just doesn't fit with Landeskog.

As for Sgarbossa, I don't expect him to look very good tonight. He is not nearly strong enough to play the center role defensively, especially when he will be going against the Sedins and Kassian or the Burrows line because Vancouver gets the last change. He should be put in a position to succeed and on the wing with an established center so he doesn't have to get totally outmatched. Then when Landeskog comes back Sgarbossa could be sent back down to work as a center again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Mcginn and Mitchell's skillsets are very similar to be honest.

Pretty close. McGinn has a slightly better shot and is more physical, while Mitchell is much better with the puck on his stick. Neither can pass very well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with a lot of this. Landeskog would look better next to Stastny. Duchene's style of play just doesn't fit with Landeskog.

As for Sgarbossa, I don't expect him to look very good tonight. He is not nearly strong enough to play the center role defensively, especially when he will be going against the Sedins and Kassian or the Burrows line because Vancouver gets the last change. He should be put in a position to succeed and on the wing with an established center so he doesn't have to get totally outmatched. Then when Landeskog comes back Sgarbossa could be sent back down to work as a center again.

Stastny & Mitchell will probably get whatever defensive matchups we can manage. Oh yeah and Jones.. uhg

We can't rule out how well Duchene & PA have played at both ends either.

(Keep in mind I'm talking 5v5 here... lol)

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Let's make this interesting with a conspiracy theory. Even though Malone brings the physical element Coach Succo is looking for... We're looking to see if Sgarbossa has the chops to cut it long term in the big leagues. If he does, we kiss O'Reilly's mother loving malarkey goodbye.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Stastny & Mitchell will probably get whatever defensive matchups we can manage. Oh yeah and Jones.. uhg

We can't rule out how well Duchene & PA have played at both ends either.

(Keep in mind I'm talking 5v5 here... lol)

Being on the road, I expect the Canucks to get the matchups they want more often than not.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
ideally he starts out at C like as is reported. then if match ups allow you slide him in on the wing to add some scoring punch if he does well at C.
i highly doubt Sacco will do this but ideally this would happen.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
Great debut. Good passes, goal scoring chance. I didn't feel like it was his first NHL game. Perfect game from him IMO. He was better than most of our highly paid "superstars".

Thanks good to hear, I still think he should get a chance on Duchene/Statsny`s wing.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Great debut. Good passes, goal scoring chance. I didn't feel like it was his first NHL game. Perfect game from him IMO. He was better than most of our highly paid "superstars".

I wouldn't go with great (great is what Tarasenko did) debut, but I'd say very solid debut. Had a couple chances and if it hadn't been for Mitchell being an ass and not passing at all on a late in the 3rd partial 2 on 1 break Scarbossa might have had a decent shot at a goal.

He looked decent at faceoffs, which I noticed watching few Monster games this year. Ok defense, was more physical than I thought he'd be, very good vision (but yet Sacco refused to give any PP time). Overall pretty impressed. I'm now a little more confident that he could become a top 6 winger maybe even a 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad