Sgarbossa called up

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Well, this is a bright spot to an otherwise gloomy situation right now.

Put him with Duchene please Sacco. Don't put him with Kobasew, Mitchell, or Hejduk, but even more importantly McLeod, Olver and Bordeleau like you almost certainly will :facepalm:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Sgarbossa with 7 minutes of ice time, 3 minutes of it on the PK.

Calling it now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And Malone sent down.

Thinking they had planned to bring Sgarbossa up all along, but decided to let him stay in the AHL for the All-Star game before calling him up.

Only makes sense that he be called up the day after the ASG and Malone sent down. Obviously wasn't injury related.

Which also is a good sign for Landeskog. Should mean Landy isn't too badly injured and didn't require a call up.

I cant wait to see him play. I really think he could be special for us.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I assume this means Landeskog will be out for a while.

Not necessarily. It might have been, as mentioned, something they planned to do but wanted to leave him down there for the AHL all star game.

Love the avatar. The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep are two of my favorite movies.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
And Malone sent down.

Thinking they had planned to bring Sgarbossa up all along, but decided to let him stay in the AHL for the All-Star game before calling him up.

Only makes sense that he be called up the day after the ASG and Malone sent down. Obviously wasn't injury related.

Which also is a good sign for Landeskog. Should mean Landy isn't too badly injured and didn't require a call up.

This post makes me happy :)

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Sending Malone down means landeskog is probably only day to day since no one has been called up for him.

member 116861

Should have kept Malone up and played him instead of Bordeleau.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm ok with sending down Malone. Bordeleau has pretty much played perfectly in the role he is asked to play. He finishes his (insanely heavy) hits, fights if he has to and hasn't taken a single penalty.

He is one of the few Avs players that has played close to his potential this far.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And Malone sent down.

I don't necessarily think that this move is related to Landeskog in anyway.

Landeskog is being reported as "out indefinitely" with Head/Leg injuries. We all saw the hit, we'd be lucky if the head injury isn't a Concussion.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm ok with sending down Malone. Bordeleau has pretty much played perfectly in the role he is asked to play. He finishes his (insanely heavy) hits, fights if he has to and hasn't taken a single penalty.

He is one of the few Avs players that has played close to his potential this far.

I agree...I've been pleased with his game. I'm glad his minutes are limited but I do enjoy seeing someone consistently finish checks on this team for a change. He's also not gone all bat-**** crazy on someone like I kinda worried he might do to show how tough he his. I like having him on the team and available every game.

Really looking forward to seeing what Sgarbossa can show at this level. I doubt he get's minutes with offensive guys (unless he's playing wing) but I wouldn't mind seeing him center Olver and Hejduk. Please god...just keep him away from Bordeleau and McLeod's line.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't necessarily think that this move is related to Landeskog in anyway.

Landeskog is being reported as "out indefinitely" with Head/Leg injuries. We all saw the hit, we'd be lucky if the head injury isn't a Concussion.

I don't think so. I do recall seeing that about him being out indefinitely but I think someone pulled the trigger early on that and was simply speculating. Because Dater reported last night that the team is now thinking Landeskog is probably only day to day.

I mean it doesn't make sense for them to call up Oreilly and send down Malone at the same time if Landy is expected to miss significant time. You'd call up Landy and keep Malone up as well.

Unless someone else is expected to be joining the team very soon(Im looking at your Mr. Oreilly).

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would be surprised if Sgarbossa looked good (IMO he will look like Olver out there). I don't think he is NHL ready.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Wish Malone had stayed up and Barrie/Bourds got sent back for a bit. I dont want to admit this, but outside of a few scoring chances in a row, Hejduk looks slow and ineffective this year. I'd actually like to see something like this tomorrow to start, and a quicker juggling of the lines if there is no fire again to start.

Lando-Dutch-PA
McGinn-Statz-Scarbossa
McCleod-Mitchell-Jones
Bourds-Olver-Kobasew

EJ-Wilson
Barrie-Hejda
Hunwick-Zanon

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Should have kept Malone up and played him instead of Bordeleau.

I like Bordeleau on the team, he can skate, he's physical without being reckless and he's a huge SOB that can actually fight.

Here's hoping Sgarbossa can light the lamp the first game.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would be surprised if Sgarbossa looked good (IMO he will look like Olver out there). I don't think he is NHL ready.

I dunno. It will be interesting for sure.

The thing that makes me think he could play well is that during the lockout the AHL was actually a pretty strong league. A lot of good young players down there who are even top players in the NHL. Sgarbossa was still playing very good against those other NHL level players, and didn't look out of place at all, in fact he almost excelled.

Since the lockout has ended Sgarbossa has been even better in the AHL(Something like 3G, 2A in 3 GP). This to me tells me that he just might be ready to jump into the NHL already and handle himself.

EDIT: Actually Sgarby was even better then that, since he was sent back down after training camp he's had 3G, 5A for 8 Pts in 4 games, and a 4 game point streak. Playing at a 2 PPG.

I don't want to get too excited about Sgarbossa because he was never drafted, and its not often an undrafted player ever makes the NHL, let alone become a Top 6 talent. But at every level he's played at for the last 3 years he's excelled and continued to get even better. I think he has the chance to do this even in the NHL and become even better then what we expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad