SFY Appreciation Thread

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Look, this guy got a raw ass hand from this whole thing, but was patient in making a deal, moved Marty for a good return, and it's possible that next year, with Drouin coming up and Cally giving us another two-way winger, we may end up as a better team from this move. He's made some unpopular moves in his time here (trading Downie, trading Conacher, signing Flip and Carle), but I think we can agree that his moves have ultimately made the team better.

I am guessing if he had his way he wouldn't have traded MSL, but he did well. Thank you, Steve ****ing Yzerman.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
An eastern conference finals appearance

2 Calder cup appearances 1 win

In a playoff spot at trade deadline day despite missing Stamkos most of the season

Bishop having Vezina/Hart worthy season.

2 gold medals for Canada.

Yeah, I believe in the Yzerplan.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Here's a thread I can actually appreciate.

He has to be among the best GM's in the league, if not THE best IMHO.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Been a humongous fan since Day 1. Amazing return on the MSL trade. Well done, SFY. Well done.

Edit: So I see people are going to copy my Steve Yzerman as avatar now, huh? :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, what's lost in all this is, despite the turmoil, he delivered a gold freakin medal to Canada. That's almost forgotten because of the St. Louis stuff (I don't want to cloud this thread with MSL sourness).

Not all of Yzerman's deals have worked out, but most of them have. He's surrounded himself with the right people (Al Murray, we bow down). But as I watched him struggle to get through that press conference, trying to give honest answers without throwing Marty under the bus, all I could think was how much integrity this guy has. He just never betrays it. Ever. And that's the thing I respect about him most of all.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
An eastern conference finals appearance

2 Calder cup appearances 1 win

In a playoff spot at trade deadline day despite missing Stamkos most of the season

Bishop having Vezina/Hart worthy season.

2 gold medals for Canada.

Yeah, I believe in the Yzerplan.

Needs moar about impeccable drafting and shrewd trades.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
He was dealt a horrible hand with little leverage and got 3 quality assets and came out looking great in the presser while St. Louis essentially hid like a coward. I look forward to Yzerman and Murray having 2 extra picks to play around with and I trust whatever Yzerman decided to do with Cally.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yzerman is the epitome of class. He is the best GM we've ever had and I trust him 100% with any decision because I know that he has thought through every option and weighed every pro and con for weeks before I even hear about it. Just imagine if he was our GM from 2000 and on. We would still be a playoff team, and possibly mixed in another Cup or two on top of the one in '04. I learned my lesson with the Conacher trade, never question Yzerman's decision making or his commitment to making this team better. He is a much smarter man than I am. In Yzerman, I trust!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Been a humongous fan since Day 1. Amazing return on the MSL trade. Well done, SFY. Well done.

Edit: So I see people are going to copy my Steve Yzerman as avatar now, huh? :laugh:

y u tell nice things to yourself?

YOU ARE SFY!

Jokes aside... I really trust in everything SFY does, he's the best GM we've ever had

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
I gotta agree. It is so rare that a team loses its captain and the fans immediately pick the management side. No games, no tricks, not using the media and leaking rumors. Good intentioned, classy, calculated moves. He is not afraid to make the tough call, and a lot of that also says a lot about ownership and their belief in what he has to offer. 'cheers Stevie Y'

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Wbszrbx.png

Players that Yzerman did not bring in. Malone is in red because he is expected to be bought out. Ohlund is not expected to play again. This is entirely Yzerman's team.

My bad, he didn't bring in Stamkos either.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I meant more in terms of players who were playing for the team before Yzerman came on. Who's to say that those players would develop the same way if Yzerman hadn't put in his player development style?

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Just want to chime in, count me in on support for Yzerman. You can tell he is all class, integrity, and a hell of a good GM. I met him once he signed my lightning jersey and was incredibly nice yet quiet (Brisebois was really cool too, took the pic for me haha).

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
Not gonna get into why I don't like St. Louis because of the major flaming of me that would ensue, but I'd like to give Stevie Y a huge :handclap: for the work he has put in for the team thus far and I'm personally glad to see Marty sent packing.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I try to avoid falling prey to the dangerous game of rosterbating, but today's circumstances have left that virtually impossible not to do.

Per capgeek, the Lightning have somewhere around $24M in cap space going into 2014-15 without factoring in potential departures of Malone and Purcell (which would save about $9M). Of course, it doesn't factor in raises to the several RFA's which will be determined during the offseason, but damn does that make me feel good. Given the fact that Y has the authority to spend up to the cap (not saying he will; always makes sense to save some space especially with such an efficient roster as is at this point time), it leaves me feeling very good about what is possible in the next offseason or two.

As I've said, I had my doubts about Y after the Conacher/Bishop deal. Never again. He's not perfect, but nobody is. What he is is the GM of the hockey team I root for and I am happy that he is. That's good enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00