Confirmed with Link: Severson signed to six year, $25 million deal

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Was never worried a contract wouldn't get done, but I'm very happy to see we got him signed with term. Great deal.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not sure why people were freaking out about this. This is exactly the deal most of us wanted.

I'm certainly not "freaking out" about this, I'm happy he's signed, but I acknowledge it's a somewhat risky deal.

It's 100% contingent on the expectation that Severson continues on the upward trajectory that very young NHL defensemen typically do.

I think he will, but people should be aware it's not a lock, sometimes they flame out by ~26. This is the "new NHL", a deal like this would not have happened 'x' years ago, before a player proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the real deal, and can put up numbers commiserate with the the longevity of their salary.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm certainly not "freaking out" about this, but it's a somewhat risky deal.

It's 100% contingent on the expectation that Severson continues on the upward trajectory that very young NHL defenseman typically do. I think he will, but people should be aware it's not a lock, sometimes they flame out by ~26. This is the "new NHL", a deal like this would not have happened 'x' years ago, before a player proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the real deal, and can put up numbers commiserate with the the longevity of their salary.

I don't think there's much risk with this contract at all. Considering his role on our defense, he's worth this money today. As he continues to progress, the $4.167M number looks better and better for New Jersey.

It would've been much riskier to go with a shorter-term bridge deal. If we went 8 years, I think Severson would've wanted some more money to compensate for his inevitable development. That would've been a bit of a risk, too.

This deal is a very happy medium.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
The one thing that stood out to me immediately about Severson is his confidence. He had confidence the minute he stepped on NHL ice, and always played like he knew he belonged. And he's carried that through his career so far, so I'm confident he continues to improve and be our best defender.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't think there's much risk with this contract at all. Considering his role on our defense, he's worth this money today. As he continues to progress, the $4.167M number looks better and better for New Jersey.

That played a part in this for sure.

The player/agent definitely had good ammo given the Devils.....situation. That and the fact Severson is a right-handed shot I'd speculate adds probably a half mil since right-handed shots on D dont grow on trees.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm certainly not "freaking out" about this, I'm happy he's signed, but I acknowledge it's a somewhat risky deal.

It's 100% contingent on the expectation that Severson continues on the upward trajectory that very young NHL defensemen typically do.

I think he will, but people should be aware it's not a lock, sometimes they flame out by ~26. This is the "new NHL", a deal like this would not have happened 'x' years ago, before a player proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the real deal, and can put up numbers commiserate with the the longevity of their salary.

I took Afro's comment more so about people freaking out that his contract hadn't been signed yet lol

There is very little risk involved in this deal but yes there is still some present. Severson is our best defenseman. I am fully confident in saying that. Despite his defensive gaffes, which aren't overly frequent but are costly, he's the best we have and he is still young.

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
I like the deal, but wish that there was more being paid in the first few years of the deal, when cap space isn't an issue, rather than at the end of the deal, when hopefully the Devils are contending and could use the space for additional players/contract space.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
:thumbu:. Great deal for New Jersey.

A little light on the dollars for Severson though. Team saved about 3 million on that contract. Not sure I would've given up 3 years of Free Agency for 4 million per.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There's almost no risk in this deal. If Severson's play goes south, someone will take that deal in a trade - it'll be a bad trade, but someone will take it. If he gets hurt, so be it. The cap is $75M and an NHL roster has 23 players, so Severson is being paid basically $1M north of 75 divided by 23.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If he only progresses defensively and stays roughly on par offensively it's still a fair deal. Salaries for players at a given age experience ability and position are what they are. Unless there is a sour relationship with a player you essentially know where negotiations will end up.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I like the deal, but wish that there was more being paid in the first few years of the deal, when cap space isn't an issue, rather than at the end of the deal, when hopefully the Devils are contending and could use the space for additional players/contract space.

Cap hit is just total years divided by total salary. It's the same $4.1 mil hit for the next 6 years. How he is paid out each year is irrelevant (except to his own bank account).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the cap hit is the same every year (Total money divided by total years). What he is actually being paid isn't what is put on the cap.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
:thumbu:. Great deal for New Jersey.

A little light on the dollars for Severson though. Team saved about 3 million on that contract. Not sure I would've given up 3 years of Free Agency for 4 million per.

I'm not sure I would either, but the good news for Severson is he only gave up 2 years of free agency.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What do you mean?

I think NJ got a very good deal.

I think Severson is worth slightly more. I don't think I would've given up those UFA years for 4 million per if I were Severson.

6 years should've been more like 28 to 30 million in my opinion. 25 is cheap.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Severson doesn't have any rights as a player coming off an ELC. NJ was probably offering $1M for a one-year deal, then you go through this business again next year. And someone like Eric Gelinas offers a cautionary tale - he took forever to sign a 1 year deal in 2014, then got a 2 year deal coming off that, and now he doesn't have an NHL contract at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad