Confirmed with Link: Severson signed to six year, $25 million deal

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think NJ got a very good deal.

I think Severson is worth slightly more. I don't think I would've given up those UFA years for 4 million per if I were Severson.

6 years should've been more like 28 to 30 million in my opinion. 25 is cheap.

Ahhh, you were speaking from Severson's perspective. I agree with you, then. The money definitely feels a little bit low.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
equally good and bad deal for both sides. I am personally happy with it.. as 4 million per for a defensman with severson projection is a good deal for NJ.. 6 year multi million deal for a guy who has not 100pct proven himself is great for severson... both sides have something to lose and gain from the deal.. i like it.

plus there is not a NTC which Lou gave out like candy... even if severson only slightly improves its not a horrid deal.. if he were an unrestricted free agent today he would command at least 3 million per so i like it and it keeps a homegrown dude happy.. shero has done a really good job with contracts so far in his tenure..

LGD

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I may have mis read your quote you say he would get more than 3M as restricted free agent, I agree but he got $4M from the Devils for 6 years. So where did the $3M come from.

FMASC is referring to the post above his.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ah ok. 2 years. I'm not sure that changes things though.

He'll still be 29 when he signs his next contract, he could go to FA and get a max term deal after this contract anyway. Fortunately that's a long way away lol

Plus if he gave up two UFA years it's maybe an extra $3-4 million each year at absolute most? He gets a bump the first year or two of this deal from what he could have gotten, he really didn't leave that much on the table in aggregate and both he and the team avoid the arb hassle.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
With the defenseman market the way it is, I could easily see someone offering a 23 year old RHD with strong upside +5M AAV. Good thing he won't be hitting UFA for a while.

NHLnumbers has us at 7.23M in cap space, not including the extra bit we get from Clowe when he goes on LTIR. As things stand we'll have around ~12M in cap space when the season starts.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
With the defenseman market the way it is, I could easily see someone offering a 23 year old RHD with strong upside +5M AAV. Good thing he won't be hitting UFA for a while.

NHLnumbers has us at 7.23M in cap space, not including the extra bit we get from Clowe when he goes on LTIR. As things stand we'll have around ~12M in cap space when the season starts.

Clowe will not go on LTIR unless the Devils add more than $7.23M in salary.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hopefully he's too expensive to make a healthy scratch again. I'm still annoyed by that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hopefully he's too expensive to make a healthy scratch again. I'm still annoyed by that.

I guess we have to chalk that up to some sort of teachable moment. Hopefully Severson can respond to it. Some kids need a kick in the behind but others need a softer touch. He is still a work in progress and treating him like a 27 year old veteran is not fair to either the player or coach. I look for him to take something of a step forward this year but until he has a good partner to play with probably less than we are hoping for.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I recall Sharks fans saying Mueller had his best stretches when playing alongside a good puck mover. I wonder if we'll see Severson paired with him.

He'll have a very difficult time making the lineup let alone playing in the top 4 with Severson, I don't think we'll see Mueller in the top 4 anytime soon, unless of course a few injuries happen.

I'm pretty sure Butcher is already ahead of Mueller.

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Butcher - Santini
Muller

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Greene-Severson
Moore-Santini
Mueller-Butcher
Lovejoy

That's a way they can get both Mueller and Butcher in and Butcher has played right side

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Cammalleri was a healthy scratch and he was more expensive. Given that they offered him a 6 year deal coming off said scratch, it's possible that scratching was a stealth tank move - that last game of the season was a must-lose, but it's fishy to keep all your best players out of the game. I dunno. It probably wasn't, but it could have been.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He'll have a very difficult time making the lineup let alone playing in the top 4 with Severson, I don't think we'll see Mueller in the top 4 anytime soon, unless of course a few injuries happen.

I'm pretty sure Butcher is already ahead of Mueller.

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Butcher - Santini
Muller

I was thinking the pairing would be more of an experiment in the preseason time frame. I'm not even going to begin to take a stab at what the pairings are going to look like come October 7... too many variables.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Are there any situations where an equivalent contract for a Defenseman did not work out?

Ryan Whitney signed his 10 years ago and Despres needed to be bought out but both of them had serious injures.

Is Bogosian considered a bad contract? He has had lots of injuries also.

I can't think of anyone else that would be considered bad.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Greene-Severson
Moore-Santini
Mueller-Butcher
Lovejoy

That's a way they can get both Mueller and Butcher in and Butcher has played right side

I highly doubt that Lovejoy is going to sit. Best case scenario is Santini pushes him down I think?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Are there any situations where an equivalent contract for a Defenseman did not work out?

Ryan Whitney signed his 10 years ago and Despres needed to be bought out but both of them had serious injures.

I think we're still waiting to see how the real comparables (Brodin, Larsson, etc.) work out long term.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Tyler Myers? He's fallen off dramatically from his first couple of seasons after signing the big contract, though he's been hurt a lot too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->