Several New York Rangers prospects expected to have big seasons in 2013-14

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Of the 30 prospects in the New York Rangers' system, 19 are professional hockey players as of the beginning of the 2013-14 season. With only five prospects selected by New York in the 2013 NHL Draft and four in 2012, there are fewer younger players in the system than there have been in many years.

Given the Rangers' recent propensity to sign undrafted free agents (almost all of whom turn pro immediately), and the paucity of draft selections, there are few prospects in the CHL, NCAA, and in Europe.

Pro

Top Pro Offensive Prospect
Danny Kristo, RW, Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)

Kristo has begun the 2013-14 season with the Rangers' AHL affiliate.… read more

More...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Of the 30 prospects in the New York Rangers' system, 19 are professional hockey players as of the beginning of the 2013-14 season. With only five prospects selected by New York in the 2013 NHL Draft and four in 2012, there are fewer younger players in the system than there have been in many years.

Given the Rangers' recent propensity to sign undrafted free agents (almost all of whom turn pro immediately), and the paucity of draft selections, there are few prospects in the CHL, NCAA, and in Europe.

Pro

Top Pro Offensive Prospect
Danny Kristo, RW, Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)

Kristo has begun the 2013-14 season with the Rangers' AHL affiliate.… read more

More...

Great read, thanks to the contributors.
Reaffirms my expectations to date, except I am a bit less concerned about CK if they will let Kreider be Kreider, so to speak, and I do not mean in minutes which force him to play with Pyatt, Boyle and which insists he not use other skills to instead stand in front of the net to screen the goalie. Such specialty is worth pursuing, but lets get him comfortable with the basic game at the pro level. He obviously has the skill set, and looks terrific w/Miller as each feeds off the other's speed.

Pleased to see Kristo rated a little more highly than I had him.
Pleased to see Caille Andersson "making great strides over the past few months" or whatever your exact words were to that effect.

Again, thanks for the compilation.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'll believe it when I see it.

Sick of the hype. Kreider and Miller have been sent down twice. Not giving up on them, but I'm not penciling them in as NHLers.

Also sick of the "throw Kreider on the first line" ****. Jesus Christ, do you want to be worse? Don't you think if he had shown any kind of consistancy he'd be on the team?

Last edited:

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
It's all part of the plan to backfill UFAs with kids next season in a rebuild/tank year to go for McDavid. :sarcasm:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Boy I can't wait until our farm system produces legit top line forward talent. Guess I'll be waiting awhile since it never has.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stepan plays on the top line, that has to count right?

Stepan is a nice player, but when is the last time the Rangers produced a forward who can take over a game, who can carry an offense, who can put up 90 points?

Probably Rod Gilbert 53 years ago. FIFTY-THREE.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Stepan is a nice player, but when is the last time the Rangers produced a forward who can take over a game, who can carry an offense, who can put up 90 points?

Preaching to the choir man.

Maybe before we're dead. :D

Parker

Mar 25, 2007
Binghamton, NY

Alexei Kovalev, although even that barely counts as he didn't reach his peak as a NYR. But he put up a 44-51--95 in 2000-01.

Other than that, a barren wasteland.

The Rangers are never quite bad enough to get that generational talent with a top 3 pick, so instead of the extreme ups (Stanley Cups) and downs (#1 overall picks) of a team like the Penguins, we just get decades of mediocrity.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

you have to be a lottery pick to see that.. nah its hard to draft one.. outside of top 5 maybe even top 10 picks in draft, its a crap shoot..

i think its close to seeing a dman moved for a top 6 fwd..

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

because it's so easy to just snag dominant offensive talent. Yeah the Rangers have had their busts (Brendl :facepalm:) but on the whole, they haven't been able to draft high enough to get that sure fire dominant talent everyone is looking for.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Its not about the sexy top 3 picks.

Look at Edmonton. Hall, RNH, Yakupov. Still can't do better than what.. 12th or 13th the last couple years

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Its not about the sexy top 3 picks.

Look at Edmonton. Hall, RNH, Yakupov. Still can't do better than what.. 12th or 13th the last couple years

True. but they suck at scouting/drafting in the middle rounds. That's a GM's bread & butter. Top talent isn't their problem. Support/secondary players are.

Oilers and Rangers are total opposites.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
True. but they suck at scouting/drafting in the middle rounds. That's a GM's bread & butter. Top talent isn't their problem. Support/secondary players are.

Oilers and Rangers are total opposites.

Just trying to combat those who say that "sucking bad enough" just so we draft in the top 3 will solve all our problems.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People just say "oh well we haven't had a top pick" as if we we have no choice. Rangers management through their own decisions has committed to being a middle of the pack team. We continue to patch holes with aging and/or overpaid stars who come here and disappoint. We continue to ride Lundqvist to 7th place finishes and lose in the playoffs. We continue to draft defense high. We continue to trade away picks like they're Halloween candy.

Being in the middle isn't a curse, it's a choice. Either you're a contender, you're retooling, or you're not doing anything. The Rangers are continually the latter and that's why they never get the forward talent they need.

Also, drafting isn't the only excuse. Plenty of teams lack top 5 picks. I can't think of a single pool of elite forwards that has been as barren as ours outside of maybe some most recent expansion teams.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
+500. Drafting D in the first and trading off their picks are gonna make sucking at scoring.

I'll believe the guys we have are truly effective when they can stay up and not turn into mental midgets on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad