Setoguchi puts home #23 tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH Wizard

I hope the habs will draft him plus He's a gritty forward.So , He'll fit well in the habs prospect sytem.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
What kind of goals does he score? I hear he has a big shot, so does he just blast it by the goalie most of the time or does he have more of an offensive arsenal?

Would Stumpy Thomas be a good comparison for him?

Zetterberg4Captain*

I went to the game tonight and the line of Setoguchi, Bader, and Barnes scored 5 of the blades 6 goals and were easily the best line. Barnes was the third star, Bader the second, and Setoguchi the first!

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I really like this kid...

I'd take a chance on him in the top 7-8 depending on your teams needs..

I think he's just gonna keep getting better and better...
WJHC hopefully next year...

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Spetzky said:
Who does he play like?
I've said a gritty Jamie Langenbrunner all along, who could have a bigger upside offensively.

As far as the Steve Thomas comparison - that would be pretty accurate.
In another thread someone asked if he was like Cheechoo and the more I watch Seto, the more I agree with that comparison.

I hope Joe Barnes can sneak himself into the first round. He might even be a candidate for the WJC next year.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
lol I read through this and just kept reading that people went to the game and said hes good... lol that doesnt help, what are some of the plays hes made? I went to a Blades Hitmen game earlier in the year and he scored 2 goals and an assist, though 1 goal was really nice, wrist shot, the 2nd was a rather soft goal by bowles. The assist however was quite nice, took a bit of a hit to dish it off, but it went through I believe Carsons legs to (not sure who) but it was a break away and tied the game late. Really nice play, he looked pretty good to me. But that was like 2-3 months ago.

CH Wizard

Freaky Habs Fan said:
I will rarely say that but the Habs don't need another smalish offensive foward with skills...They need a talented defenseman!

Setogushi is not just skilled , He's also very gritty.He'll have the time to grow though.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
The Bader-Barnes-Seto line (or 600 lb. line) scores goals by force. Incredibly strong and quick, they usually take a look at the net, go there, and put it in. Simple as that. Seto's got the best puck skills of the bunch, but still gets more goals taking the d-man out and going hard to the net than through pretty passing plays and great stickhandling.

I agree with Montreal, in that the Habs don't have a prospect like him. They also don't have a prospect like Joe Barnes. Either would be fantastic. :)

The Blades could easily have 3 players picked in the first two rounds, plus a hot UFA prospect in Keller, and a late pick in Flatt.

I like the Langenbrunner comparison a lot.

In the S-P, they said that after the first, Mollekon took them aside and said if they played as bad as they did in that period, he'd bench them in the 3rd. Then they went on to demolish the opposition in the next 40 minutes. Mollekon.... can't say enough good things about him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Lefty said:
Setoguchi put up #24 tonight, in addition to assisting on all 4 of Joe Barnes goals. Those two are sure on fire as of late.
I just noticed that, and was coming here to mention it. Wow. Color me impressed.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The Great One said:
Setogushi is not just skilled , He's also very gritty.He'll have the time to grow though.

Will he be in the next Top 10 rankings by Redline or ISS? 5pts last night and on pace for 40+ goals with an outside shot at 50! Not bad for a 17 yr old!

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Wow 24 goals and 43 points after a very slow start. I've been keeping an eye on him and have checked the whl.ca stats page about once every two days because of him (and Brule). I hope he has a great career in the NHL because he is Asian, like me.

Anyways, he is 7th in WHL scoring.
Gilbert Brule is 5th, Eric Fehr is 2nd and Ryan Stone is 3rd.
Not bad at all for a 17 year old.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Wow 24 goals and 43 points after a very slow start. I've been keeping an eye on him and have checked the whl.ca stats page about once every two days because of him (and Brule). I hope he has a great career in the NHL because he is Asian, like me.

Anyways, he is 7th in WHL scoring.
Gilbert Brule is 5th, Eric Fehr is 2nd and Ryan Stone is 3rd.
Not bad at all for a 17 year old.

I hope the Canucks take him if there is ever a draft and if he ever falls to the lower 1st round. He has the grit and physical game that makes him a safe pick but also the scoring potential we badly need.

leafaholix*

He'd be a big hit in Vancouver if he ever makes it to the NHL.

;)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know his ethnicity? His last name sounds Japanese, but he doesn't look particularly Japanese. Is he a mix like the Kariyas?

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
He put up another 3 points tonight. 1 goal and two assists.

He now has 26 goals and 51 points in 47 WHL games.

9th in WHL scoring behind the likes of Brule, Fehr and Stone.

After his great CHL all-star game performance, where do you guys think he will go?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
The Great One said:
I hope the habs will draft him plus He's a gritty forward.So , He'll fit well in the habs prospect sytem.
Unfortunately there are probably a lot of people thinking the same thing. I know that's exactly what I'm thinking aswell, just replace Habs with Wings.

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
I'm a big Setoguchi fan. He throws nice and clean hits, he can shoot and he can stickhandle. I think he has the potential to go in the high-mid 1st round, though I think he'll end up going around #15.

He got another point tonight as he assisted on the winning goal (scored by Joe Barnes - his 24th of the season) and now has 26 goals and 26 assists (52 points) in 48 games.

He was born on January 1st 1987. Per WHL rules, does anyone know how many more seasons he can play? I know they go by birth year and not actual age but is there a cutoff for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia