Seth Jones

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Assuming the cap goes to 74mm we could offer upto 6 million to Jones unless we free up more via trades, buyouts or interments.

I don't think we should go higher than 6 and obviously if we could get a Morgan Reilly that would be ideal.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jones was -9 in 41 games for the CBJ. That's Jack Johnsoneque. He scored 2 goals. Oh, but he's young and he's definitely going to be a strong #1 dman. It's just a given.

Yeah. Open the checkbook for him. 6 years, hell make it 8, at $6.5 million each for Popeye's kid.

I'll bet this joke of a front office does it.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Jones was -9 in 41 games for the CBJ. That's Jack Johnsoneque. He scored 2 goals. Oh, but he's young and he's definitely going to be a strong #1 dman. It's just a given.

Yeah. Open the checkbook for him. 6 years, hell make it 8, at $6.5 million each for Popeye's kid.

You're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

do you actually watch Seth Jones play games or are you just picking apart his stat sheet

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

You know, not liking the trade doesn't mean you have to irrationally hate the guy who arrived.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

15394169.gif

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nice collection of strawmen and red herrings^^^

He's 21. He's not a free agent for 6 more years. There is no reason to sign him to anything more than the standard CBJ RFA deal.

He's not a PK Subban or Erik Karlsson in the making. He's not a Doughty, a Weber, a Josi in the making for that matter either. He may turn out to be a very good player. Or he may not turn out to be one. He's a work-in-progress who could progress. To what level? Who knows? Certainly not a mortal lock to be a top notch player.

He had 3 goals in 81 games this season-his third full NHL season. He was a -14. He's not worthy of a long term deal-especially for a cap challenged organization.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Nice collection of strawmen and red herrings^^^

He's 21. He's not a free agent for 6 more years. There is no reason to sign him to anything more than the standard CBJ RFA deal.

He's not a PK Subban or Erik Karlsson in the making. He's not a Doughty, a Weber, a Josi in the making for that matter either. He may turn out to be a very good player. Or he may not turn out to be one. He's a work-in-progress who could progress. To what level? Who knows? Certainly not a mortal lock to be a top notch player.

He had 3 goals in 81 games this season. He was a -14. He's not worthy of a long term deal-especially for a cap challenged organization.

So... what your saying is we need to lock Kukan up right now. The guy was +9 in 8 games, he's our best defensive player

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So... what your saying is we need to lock Kukan up right now. The guy was +9 in 8 games, he's our best defensive player

Wow. Another misrepresentation! You guys are on a roll:laugh:

http://literarydevices.net/red-herring/

Why is everyone in such a rush to lock Jones up? The CBJ have all the leverage for a long time. He's not going to be an $8 million/year type-that's pretty obvious. No reason to lock up more cap space on a guy with no leverage and minimal accomplishments.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

You make some valid points. On the other hand we are paying Savard 4.5 mill a year for the next 4 years (maybe 5?). That was a dumb f.o. move imo.

Paying Jones up tp 6X6 seems like a reasonable thing to do. Morgan Reilly like.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have doubts Jones can be an Elite 1D need to get a deal around 4.5-5

Like you, I don't assume that Jones is going to be an elite #1D, but I also somehow think between 5 and $5.75m is fine as long as it's 6 years plus and buys some UFA years.

Here's the list of D-men making between 5.25 and 5.75:

Wideman
Bouwmeester
Ekman-Larsson
Leddy
Sekera
Carle
Petry
Orpik
Wisniewski
Girardi
Myers
Keith
Staal
Enstrom
Markov
Hamilton

Other than Keith and OEL, there are no elite #1D on this list. Some, I guess, are #1D as in top 30 leaguewide, but no elite #1D other than those two.

And if we didn't have Jones this is the kind of pool of D-men we'd have to reach into to have a chance of having a good D group. It's not great value.

It's very achievable for Jones to be better than most of this group, he already is better than many of them. And he has a good shot at being better than all but two, and has at least a small chance at being better than all of them, which is a remarkable thing to say about any young player. Remember that Keith was in the AHL at Jones' age, and OEL was more or less at Jones' level.

1) Jones had a weak 4th quarter, but there's no need to exaggerate it. The plus minus isn't that bad considering he played the heaviest minutes on a team that went full tank down the stretch. And 20 pts in 41 games is a very good pace for a 21 year old D-man, heck for any d-man who isn't already at an elite level offensively.

2) $6.5m is too much, it isn't going to save us money in the long run. I'm not pushing that. Do I need to provide you a link to "red herring" and "strawman" so that you can avoid using them?

3) D-men goals vary wildly - they vary on tips, rebounds, deflections, posts, etc... Keith's goal production the last six seasons: 7,4,3,6,10,9. If a goal is on a rebound or tip rather than a point shot it's all the same to the team. You seem to shift back and forth between championing goals and assists depending on whether it supports your position.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You make some valid points. On the other hand we are paying Savard 4.5 mill a year for the next 4 years (maybe 5?). That was a dumb f.o. move imo.

Paying Jones up tp 6X6 seems like a reasonable thing to do. Morgan Reilly like.

Is Jones worth an extra million over Rielly? I think the exact Rielly deal ($5mx6) is a good target, and I'd only go near 6m if we get UFA years out of it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Morgan Reilly contract makes perfect sense , get it done , and lets trim the fat off this roster . I expect Tyutin, and Hartnell to be traded , boll to be bought out , and hopefully we get a taker for Campbell . Have to laugh at the comments on Seth Jones based off 41 games , where he was basically was moved from a 3rd pairing defenseman to playing as #1 defenseman , mid season, playing a lot more minutes in a new system, with new defensive partners , at the age of 21. Jones has all the tools to be elite .

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Jones played in half the games this year and was the third leading scorer on D, trailing Murray and Savard by 5 points. He was also in the middle of those 2 guys +/-.

JJ was a Jack Johnsonesqe -16.

I don't get all the kvetching about him...
... yeah I do actually.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
And put who on the first pairing with Jones, JJ? Tyutin?

Murray is gonna be here until someone makes him expendable, which will require us drafting and developing a hell of a player.

Talking after next season...If Werenski is as elite as we think and Heatherington, Carlsson, Kukan, Paliotta are all NHL caliber Dmen...Murray may be moved.

1. Top talent
2. RFA contract
3. Injury history (trade at high value, while healthy)

I would love to keep Murray, but if there is a need to upgrade the roster, he is a likely candidate to be traded.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Talking after next season...If Werenski is as elite as we think and Heatherington, Carlsson, Kukan, Paliotta are all NHL caliber Dmen...Murray may be moved.

1. Top talent
2. RFA contract
3. Injury history (trade at high value, while healthy)

I would love to keep Murray, but if there is a need to upgrade the roster, he is a likely candidate to be traded.

I agree with this and have said it on a few occasions. I'd only trade him for an upgrade at center. RNH or Duchene, otherwise keep him and keep building from the net out.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
And put who on the first pairing with Jones, JJ? Tyutin?

Murray is gonna be here until someone makes him expendable, which will require us drafting and developing a hell of a player.

Exactly...with how poorly our blue line has been structured of late, it would make little sense dealing Murray, considering the contract he is on, how young he is, and his upside. Let the kid develop into a top-2 defenseman over the next year or two then reevaluate.

Savard and Johnson are two guys that I would look to trade before considering a Ryan Murray move. Both of them have a much higher cap-hit, and could also bring back a nice return.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?

lol -- Let see what was the philosophy of the front office and coaches... Play all the young talent and bring up kids from the LEM. Also mixing up the lines and or changing positions of other key players down a lonely stretch of play to get to the off season. Yep these stats of Jones show what a crappy trade this is. :yo::yo::yo::yo:

Forgot to add.. Putting him out there for extra minutes per game to see if the kid can take on the extra minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad