News Article: Seth Jones wants to be the next team Captain (upd: Hawks waiting until at least 2024 to name a new captain)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Who cares? Jones should want to wear the C. If the responsibility pushes Jones to max out his immense talent, I'm all for it. If his teammates and coaches want Jones to be captain, so be it. Fans should have no say without having a clue about lockerroom dynamics. Has Jones played up to his contract? No. Is Jones terrible? No. Has Jones played with a bunch of AHL players recently? Yes. Before crapping on another DMen, let's see how he plays with some NHL talent around him.

As for Captain, Connor Murphy is probably most deserving from an outside perspective. He's a stand up guy respected in the lockerroom. I would not be against waiting for Connor Bedard either. However, it's no guarantee Bedard is like Toews. While Bedard appears mature beyond his years, there's no guarantee he'll be like Toews in a NHL lockerroom early. Toews's character was unique. We need to stop expecting Connor will be the same before the age of 20. Maybe it takes 3 years.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Seth Jones is Stan the man’s beautiful last long term gift to the Blackhawks, scum bag had to destroy the prospect pool and the cap just to leave his pathetic finger print on the team on his way out.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Seth Jones is Stan the man’s beautiful last long term gift to the Blackhawks, scum bag had to destroy the prospect pool and the cap just to leave his pathetic finger print on the team on his way out.

And now we have Bedard, Jones, a boat load of quality prospects and an enormous amount of draft picks.

Turn that frown upside down.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
If “negative asset” is defined by being worth less than your aav, then yes, Jones is a negative asset. But so are a large % of players across the league.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He's a #3D and his contract makes him unmovable. That's a negative asset.

No contract in the NHL is unmoveable. I once thought that till I saw the albatross ones that have been moved in the past. And with the cap likely going up in the future, it'll be even easier.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
“I understand where the organization is at,” Jones said. “I’m focused on going and just playing my game and leading whether I have a C, an A or nothing on my jersey. I don’t think that should change.

“‘Tazer’ always used to say that in the room the past couple of years: ‘Everyone has a voice in here, everyone is allowed to speak up and say what they want. It shouldn’t be just four or five guys who are able to talk.’ If you’re an 18-year-old, you should be able to speak your mind. So, I really took that to heart.”

Give the Vet's the A's this year and let the players settle into their roles organically. Everyone in the hockey world knows who's going to eventually have the C.

Reactions: Muffinalt

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My full expectation is that we'll roll 3 A's this year and name someone captain next year.

Obviously that someone will likely be Bedard, but I doubt very many view the fact that our previous first overall wasn't a career C as a detriment to Kaner's time here.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hope Bedard learns alot from Foligno as far as a leader. Terrific guy by all accounts as well. Perry, Murphy and Seth as well. I think it's all but confirmed he will likely wear the C next season.

Reactions: Dead Meat

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hope Bedard learns alot from Foligno as far as a leader. Terrific guy by all accounts as well. Perry, Murphy and Seth as well. I think it's all but confirmed he will likely wear the C next season.
Personally, I don't think a player that young should be team captain. Being the captain doesn't necessarily mean you are the most skilled player on the team plus I think the additional pressure of being team captain for a kid barely out of his teens is unnecessary.

That said, I'm not sure Seth is the answer either. When the day comes to make Bedard the captain you don't want to strip the C off of a veteran who should be around for years.

At some point give the kid an A if you wish but I like the idea of leaving the captaincy open for the time being.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Personally, I don't think a player that young should be team captain. Being the captain doesn't necessarily mean you are the most skilled player on the team plus I think the additional pressure of being team captain for a kid barely out of his teens is unnecessary.

That said, I'm not sure Seth is the answer either. When the day comes to make Bedard the captain you don't want to strip the C off of a veteran who should be around for years.

At some point give the kid an A if you wish but I like the idea of leaving the captaincy open for the time being.
Completely agree, the kid is 18 years old it puts even more on him. It’s also odd an 18 year old with zero pro experience is gifted a captaincy immediately on a team with guys twice his age, are the vets really going to respect that? Is an 18 year old capable of leading immediately with no pro play? If I was Bedard I wouldn’t want it now, he should earn it. All that being said its weird not to have a captain at all, they are probably thinking let him play at least a year and see if he is ready and wants it. The kid is so humble, he doesn’t want that on his shoulders now.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I think a lot of you are underestimating Bedard's intangibles (I can't wait to talk about these on the main board).

It isn't his talents that will give him the captaincy. This kid has been insanely professional, with an unbeatable drive and work ethic. He has been displaying all you'd want in a leader for the past decade. To give him a "C" in the 2024-2025 season isn't out of the question.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The kid has been under scrutiny and the microscope since he was 10-11 years old. Also way mature beyond his years and is so humble and team 1st. This isn't a normal 18 year old. Even if you want to wait 2 years, fine. Did anyone have the same issues with Toews when he was given captaincy after 1 season at age 20? This kid is different.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
After one or two years is fine if he earns it, there is no way he should be captain now. He needs to play professionally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad