News Article: Seth Jones wants to be the next team Captain (upd: Hawks waiting until at least 2024 to name a new captain)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The one thing Zawaski said and I completely agree with. The guy on this team who SHOULD be captain is Connor Murphy. Been here the longest, noone can question how hard he plays, great mentor and leadership with the young players, etc.

If the Hawks decide to give him the C for 2 years then Bedard can step in afterwards, I wouldn't have any issues. Although part of me wants to see Bedard become the youngest captain now only in Hawks history, but NHL history.
Order of most deserving of the C (as of today)

1. Connor Murphy
2. Connor Bedard (he'll be first in line by the end of the season)
3. Nick Foligno
4. Corey Perry
5. Seth Jones

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I know this will not go over well with some of my fellow Hawks fans - but I actually like Seth and think he would make a fine captain. There are, however, extenuating circumstances that need to be considered - the main being the anticipated captaincy of Bedard in a year or two, and the second being the longevity of Seth's contract.

I have reservations with the notion of "earmarking" the captaincy for a player who hasn't yet played a game in the NHL - kind of a "cart before the horse" thing. Generally, presumption is a cautionary tale in waiting and in this case it does make me cautious.

Glad this decision is above my pay grade.
Couldn’t be any worse than Adrian Aucoin

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Nothing says Bedard has to be captain in the near future. If he was an A until Jones leaves the team, even if its 6 years, it means Bedard is captain at 24 years old. It’s not a big deal, and looking at how humble Bedard seems to be it would be fine with him. This is not the same as when Toews was named captain at an early age, this team is many years from being good.

Reactions: ClydeLee

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

1. Connor Murphy
3. Nick Foligno
4. Corey Perry
5. Seth Jones
Katy Perry captain….. er… Corey Hart pouting….,Corey Perry can’t be Captain of an NHL team.

He’s a winner/ cheap shot artists/shell of his former playing self / cry baby on the ice!

Hawks should have never traded for him as he will definitely portray a bad influence in Conner of what not to do.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Katy Perry captain….. er… Corey Hart pouting….,Corey Perry can’t be Captain of an NHL team.

He’s a winner/ cheap shot artists/shell of his former playing self / cry baby on the ice!

Hawks should have never traded for him as he will definitely portray a bad influence in Conner of what not to do.
Yeah, I don't think so.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Don't really think a lot of fans connect with Jones. The team sucks, our old GM who no one likes traded for him and gave up way too much to get him. Also he is overpaid by a bit. Isn't a recipe to be well received.

Reactions: TheOne

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

1. Connor Murphy
3. Nick Foligno
4. Corey Perry

5. Seth Jones
I have a hard time seeing guys who only signed with the Hawks because they were given way more money than they would have got elsewhere as C material over a guy who actually wants to be a Blackhawk.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I feel like this was released on purpose as a precursor to him being named captain.

I'd rather us go without a captain for a few years if need be and then see where we are at. We have a whole new group of leaders coming.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
What fans think is one thing ... what it's like in the dressing room and on the ice is another. I'm fine with Jones getting the C and Bedard a few years later. It all comes down to who the coach and players feel would make for the best captain. Bedard is way to green to be put into this position right away. Murphy may or may not even be here this or next year. My 2 c.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I wanna be cowboys from Arizona or pimps from Oakland……count chocula.

But seriously… No Seth.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Don't really think a lot of fans connect with Jones. The team sucks, our old GM who no one likes traded for him and gave up way too much to get him. Also he is overpaid by a bit. Isn't a recipe to be well received.

Doesn't matter what the fans think. The captaincy is about the locker room, and that's the only opinion that really matters.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Doesn't matter what the fans think. The captaincy is about the locker room, and that's the only opinion that really matters.
Yeah.. more just responding to the idea that’s it’s surprising his comments are getting a negative reaction publicly. To me it’s not surprising. He’s not universally liked by fans.

Reactions: Pez68

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
To me it feels awkward to give anyone the C thats going to be here for the foreseeable future, not named Bedard. Creates a weird changing of guard situation that can be avoided pretty easily. Plus it seems like the team wants to keep it open this year and see who emerges over the next year or 2.

Reactions: Giovi

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Once upon a time, before Jonathan Toews was drafted, Tallon and the rest of the org at the time pretty much said Brent Seabrook would've been the captain of the team. Seabs did not have a letter for years in the dynasty years until Sharp got traded. Pretty much every player in that locker room for years applauded his leadership on and off the ice.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Bedard won't need the C within his ELC. Jones would be a good captain, I just prefer it to be vacant for a season going with 3 As.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad