Injury Report: Seth Jones out 4-6 weeks

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I just feel bad for Jones because of his Norris chances, I think the team will be just fine for a month.

I think the big players to watch for picking up the slack are going to be Carlsson and Kukan.

Werenski, Nutivaara, and Savard are all perfectly top 4 capable. Hell, those 3 alone with a few depth guys is as good or better than some teams groups. If Werenski is healthy enough to play at 100%, which we didn’t see most of last season, that could be a big boost. And I am not sure on the timetable for Murray, but if he’s healthy we still have a solid group.

It will be very interesting to see how the young guys step up in the face of bigger responsibility. Carlsson has the athleticism and sense to be a big minute muncher. If Carlsson siezes his spot and doesn’t give it up, we have the very thing that a lot of people have been calling for, a big shut down defenseman. He could very well end up taking a lot of those situational minutes that Cole was taking.

And Kukan was looking very impressive down the stretch last season, and has only seemed to improve on that throughout camp so far. It might finally be his time to step in.

There is a possibility that those two could play well enough to have us wondering who we will have to sit when Jones gets back.

Or...

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
~10 games is not so scary to me. It gives a great opportunity for Kukan, Carlsson, Clendening, etc... and like CoachWithNoTeam said we've still got 3 top 4 capable D expected in the lineup. 4 if Murray is back. It's always a plus to be able to evaluate those guys who need minutes.

I was almost wondering if it would be good to have a short-injury spell at forward so we could see how several players look in real games. As is there's no way to give useful minutes to everyone who needs a look. But I wouldn't wish that in addition to Jones going down.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
No matter how you look at it not good news.
Hopefully team play well and doesn't dig themselves a hole.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Jones is easily the second or third best player on the team. Some may argue the best. I'm certainly hopeful it won't be a blow, but I'm not going to shoulder shrug and say "NBD Kukan will be fine."
This sucks.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jones is easily the second or third best player on the team. Some may argue the best. I'm certainly hopeful it won't be a blow, but I'm not going to shoulder shrug and say "NBD Kukan will be fine."
This sucks.
He might very well be the best, but I know for certain he's my favorite. I like him WAY more than Johansen.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Nothing surprising here, we made the playoffs back to back, so it is only natural that the hockey gods punish this team and city.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think it is dangerous to think the team will suddenly figure everything out when Jones returns.

That said, I expect them to look good tomorrow because they're playing against Arizona.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think it is dangerous to think the team will suddenly figure everything out when Jones returns.

That said, I expect them to look good tomorrow because they're playing against Arizona.

I've watched a couple Arizona games, and they are like a Jr. version of Carolina. Very competitive, just not much scoring touch. It probably won't make for a pretty game.

I hope they listened to Torts and will go into the game with the same approach as they had in Chicago.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I've watched a couple Arizona games, and they are like a Jr. version of Carolina. Very competitive, just not much scoring touch. It probably won't make for a pretty game.

I hope they listened to Torts and will go into the game with the same approach as they had in Chicago.
It strikes me the only thing in common with the Chicago game was the high number of missed shots.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It strikes me the only thing in common with the Chicago game was the high number of missed shots.

Yeah that's not the part I meant. :laugh:

Artemi described it as "dumb shots" - I think we need to re-think the approach to offense. This team can outskate the opposition but it all seems to go to waste with that kind of shoot from everywhere approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad