Confirmed with Link: Sestito signed for 1y 2-way @ $575k

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
What do you mean by the bolded? Who is "the average Joe"? Most of my non-hockey friends refuse to watch hockey BECAUSE of the lack of scoring. So I don't think they'd be the type who'd care if bigger nets were introduced if the end result is more offense.

Personally, I'm just tired of people having a big fit whenever the topic of increasing net sizes is raised, yet they're perfectly fine with goalies having equipment ten times the size of previous generations. It just makes logical sense that as the equipment grows and takes up more of the net even with the goalie standing still, then the net should be increased at the same rate so that there's still as much net to shoot at as in the past.

Average Joe = common denominator by NHL standards. Listen, i'm all for bigger nets but i just don't think it'll happen with this league. You're also talking about changing an industry & the whole hockey world all the way down to pee-wee.

But yeah, i guess folks would easily get over it if it would end up increasing the entertainment factor but that's just too logical for the NHL & too costly for the goal manufacturing industry.

The incentives just don't seem to be worthwhile for the NHL as of now.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
How is increasing the size of nets "cheating on records", yet all these other changes aren't? It's adjusting to the current game.

Look at the goalie wins record. Is including OT and shootout totals in a goalie's wins "cheating on records" because today's goalies benefit from something goalies of the past didn't have to pad their stats?

There's also the improvement of the sticks. Is it "cheating" that almost every player now can shoot the puck 100 mph because of the sticks, when in the past pretty much every player had to make due with weaker shots?

Wrist shots are harder, man for man, but I'm not real sure slapshots are. Chara's obviously got the record, but I'd chalk him shooting harder than Iafrate or McInnis up more to being 6'9 and 300 pounds of athletic, human fulcrum than to stick technology. Frankie Leroux was something of a John Scott and shot a slapshot about as hard as Scott did in the Pens internal skills competition using wood.

I'm actually unconvinced that lighter, flexible sticks have helped scoring instead of hurting it. Wrist shots got faster, but at the cost of making it easier for a D to deflect shots in a bigger radius (you never used to see guys with wood waving their sticks in every shooting lane one-handed...probably because a human wrist isn't built to manipulate something that heavy like that for 20 minutes a night).

This is anecdotal and not based on evidence, but it feels to me like your average release (the duration of time between the players starting and ending the shooting motion) is also longer/more telegraphed with composites than it was with wood. That no load up forward motion that 87 surprises goaltenders with seems like a novelty, but it's actually a throwback. Lot of guys used to have shooting motions like that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think the nets or goalies are The Problem, it's that they don't enforce their own rules about interference. That's what hurts the chances of exciting/pretty/cool plays happening and I think that's what is really exciting to watch, but it would also help scoring. Goals are great but even with different nets and equipment that won't make up for some scrub trying to get a piggyback ride from a star. You start by enforcing the rules that already exist and go from there, if that's not enough you start to really get into the nets. And for the love of god stop letting them try to murder each other.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Really? Why so sour on Sheary?

It's just the Chris Conner thing all over again. These coaches who want these diminutive AHL types to win roles on the fourth line...it's infuriating. Even if you don't like pure enforcers, size is needed on fourth lines. This sport is a marathon, and to play until June requires players who won't wear down over time.

Having a Conor Sheary on the fourth line is completely useless, and it also is philosophically messed up.

The fact this coach has buried Sergei Plotnikov, an asset who could have helped the third line, the fourth line or perhaps bring back something via trade, is another reason why Sullivan should not be back.

I think the head coach at the HIGHEST level has to have a feel for asset management, even just a little. He HAS to realize that not playing a guy, and forcing the GM to recall marginal AHLers to replace injured players instead, truly hurts the team.

We'd be lucky now to get ANYTHING in return for Plotnikov.

I don't think the nets or goalies are The Problem, it's that they don't enforce their own rules about interference. That's what hurts the chances of exciting/pretty/cool plays happening and I think that's what is really exciting to watch, but it would also help scoring. Goals are great but even with different nets and equipment that won't make up for some scrub trying to get a piggyback ride from a star. You start by enforcing the rules that already exist and go from there, if that's not enough you start to really get into the nets. And for the love of god stop letting them try to murder each other.

The league went in that direction (enforcing the rules) in 2005-06, it led to exciting hockey and the re-emergence of mega stars like Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. It also led to massive concussion issues and a lawsuit. I think the league has quietly told officials to let interference go again as a result.

The NHL, and ultimately its fans, have to make a decision about what's MOST important to them...the health and safety of its players or the health and excitement level of its product. I don't think you can have it all.

For me, I want goals, I want more open, free-flowing hockey and I want big hits. I want coaches to ease up on systems a bit, and it probably would be a good idea to go back to the bigger neutral zone from the 70's because that's usually where offense goes to die now...the neutral zone. Offense dies before it even has a chance to start now because all five players are defending the neutral zone.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens added some muscle they couldn't call up.

I like it, and used properly (not an every game player), should work out just fine.

He adds accountability. It's just like having nukes, just the presence will deter some antics. Remember it won't keep players from hitting the star players.

It allows them to go on the offensive, though.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh

Honestly, our 4th line is pretty useless (like it is every year). Does nothing. Doesn't chip in with offense or provide a spark. Only player that provided a spark was Farnham and we cut him. Cullen has been a bright spot in it, but he rotates around so much.

If Sestito comes in for a couple games just to punch players like Dubinsky and Tom Wilson in the face a few times before getting tossed out... well worth it. Sorry that he'll take a spot away from Connor Sheary for a game or two. I think we'll manage.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, our 4th line is pretty useless (like it is every year). Does nothing. Doesn't chip in with offense or provide a spark. Only player that provided a spark was Farnham and we cut him. Cullen has been a bright spot in it, but he rotates around so much.

If Sestito comes in for a couple games just to punch players like Dubinsky and Tom Wilson in the face a few times before getting tossed out... well worth it. Sorry that he'll take a spot away from Connor Sheary for a game or two. I think we'll manage.

He got Dubinsky off the ice. Win!!!

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket

For someone like Crosby, who's had to deal with Dubsinky's antics every time we play Columbus, it's got to feel gratifying seeing your teammate pummel him. It helps forge camaraderie in the locker room, which is more than you can say for any contributions from Sheary, Porter, etc.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
For someone like Crosby, who's had to deal with Dubsinky's antics every time we play Columbus, it's got to feel gratifying seeing your teammate pummel him. It helps forge camaraderie in the locker room, which is more than you can say for any contributions from Sheary, Porter, etc.

Why would Dubinsky fight Sestito?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not that I think Sestito will even get called up, but he did get some nice shots in on Dubinksy in preseason. Dubinksy was on his best behavior afterwards.

The resulting penalty cost them a couple of goals, but it was preseason so it's not like it meant anything.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I got a dose of just how stupid the NHL is by watchinga game with a novice. Trying to explain hooking and why its sometimes called and sometimes not just made me look stupid.

I hope the rinks dont get bigger any time soon. It will end up just making for more BS soccer hockey. Want more room on the ice? Its 2016... Do we really need 4 refs on the ice?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
How people can argue for more nondescript players on the 4th line is mind boggling. The Pens have had this philosophy for the past several years and it has been a huge anchor for this organization.

And yet here we are again, with respected hockey insiders preaching the upside to a Porter over a guy like Setisto. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Some of you should apply to the Pena front office, you would feel right at home with those hockey gurus.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The league went in that direction (enforcing the rules) in 2005-06, it led to exciting hockey and the re-emergence of mega stars like Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. It also led to massive concussion issues and a lawsuit. I think the league has quietly told officials to let interference go again as a result.

The NHL, and ultimately its fans, have to make a decision about what's MOST important to them...the health and safety of its players or the health and excitement level of its product. I don't think you can have it all.

For me, I want goals, I want more open, free-flowing hockey and I want big hits. I want coaches to ease up on systems a bit, and it probably would be a good idea to go back to the bigger neutral zone from the 70's because that's usually where offense goes to die now...the neutral zone. Offense dies before it even has a chance to start now because all five players are defending the neutral zone.

I'm not going to not pick safety, but I'd also call bs on the enforcing of rules causing the concussion problem. The concussion lawsuit isn't something that has only become possible since the mid 2000s and these current rules aren't going to stop that. If anything awareness of concussions and the subsequent changes in treatment and diagnosis have led to more players having notable concussions. They're getting caught and players aren't going back too early... or as early, so it looks more dramatic. You look at Bourque and those emails that leaked, it's not a new problem and the problem goes well beyond the ice.

If they cared that much about this lawsuit they'd put the fear of god in players about head shots and dirty plays, no more slaps on the wrist. The sport will always have concussions and other injuries, but if they cared the extra curricular ones could be greatly curbed. It's that they don't care that much about really tackling it. I think that's where the big thing aside from the concussion lawsuit will come from, some avoidable and ****ing hideous injury that happens and the **** hits the fan. Then everyone is going to point at how they handled player safety and their own rules.

If I had to go with something in the conspiracy theory vein, it's that the current way is good for artificial parity which is good for not so great teams to sell themselves as better to their area. Teams can clutch and grab their way into the playoffs or at least look like they might be able to until the end, and that's great for marketing and that keeps the owners happy. Although, tbf, I also just think the NHL is incompetent and we're seeing that in how they handle everything.

I got a dose of just how stupid the NHL is by watchinga game with a novice. Trying to explain hooking and why its sometimes called and sometimes not just made me look stupid.

I hope the rinks dont get bigger any time soon. It will end up just making for more BS soccer hockey. Want more room on the ice? Its 2016... Do we really need 4 refs on the ice?

They could cover every inch of the ice with camera if they wanted, they could catch everything the players get up to and they'd learn to stop it. It always comes back to technology, it's 2016 and they have no excuse. Like when they don't know if the puck has crossed the line, could they not have some kind of tracking device in the puck? If F1 can have all of their tech and sneaky ways around the rules then the NHL can manage something like that. It won't be perfect and things will inevitably not have perfect reliability, but it's an improvement.

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't complain about the refs, and that includes people who are stupidly into hockey through to people who get roped into watching it. Everyone can make fun of the reffing and complain about it. My grandmother makes fun of them, ffs.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The concussion lawsuit is mostly players who played in the decades before the lockout. Concussions were ignored before the cte reports. Its myth that the lockout created more of them. In the past you just said the guy got his bell rung, gave him some salts to sniff and sent him back out even if he didnt know what country he was in.... It was just another excuse from ******* gms who shun talent and skill because they cant find ut to save thier lives (or jobs) who want grunt level hockey so people wont realize they suck at evaluation

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
How people can argue for more nondescript players on the 4th line is mind boggling. The Pens have had this philosophy for the past several years and it has been a huge anchor for this organization.

And yet here we are again, with respected hockey insiders preaching the upside to a Porter over a guy like Setisto. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Some of you should apply to the Pena front office, you would feel right at home with those hockey gurus.

Sestito and Porter are both equally useless.

MrWilson*

Well it wasn't but a short while ago that Crosby was getting cross checked to the back of the head and then again while he was down--with little or no response. He and Letang are still targets. Malkin seems capable and willing to defend himself. Kessel? IDK.

Pretty close battle for playoff spots over the next two months. It's gonna get progressively more chippy. If the same ******** starts to occur, Sestito up for a few games just might ensure that your offense keeps right on producing instead of spending the latter half of the season in a cast and/or destroying any playoff hopes.

This team can't afford to get bullied or have cheap shot artists fire at will. So they sign Sestito. He's a very big body, once led the NHL in PIMS and has been known to produce offensively on occasion (no less than some of the pukes they've added from WBS so far). You can critique his fighting skills, but a whole lot of folks in this league don't want to tangle with him at all. Guess what? That's why he's been signed and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Might never see another NHL game. Then again, he might just be called up to chirp at the Brandon Dubinsky types like a Rottweiler chained to the bench. Or he may see minutes as the race gets tighter, the games get more important and the idiots on the opposing team decide to do what idiots do. Sometimes a kind word or two from a 6'5", 240lb guy that isn't afraid to end a guy's career works like magic to keep things fair.

Move it on over Kevin, Conner and Scott, one of you has to make way for a big ole dog. :box:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

There hasn't been any consistency with refs since 2004-05 lockout ended. It slowly just got worse from that lockout going into now. You have players being able to interfere and there's refs that have their own agenda in deciding games by making examples out of players to the point where it's so blatantly obvious rather than speculation that it makes it tough to watch games. There's enough evidence to show bias towards teams and against teams yet the league does nothing in regards to this.

I don't think changing equipment size or net size will make a lick of a difference. I do think the rink should be a bit bigger, by bigger I don't mean IIHF size, I mean the difference between that rink and the NHL rink, so a difference that is easily changed in most if not all arenas as it wouldn't really take away a lot of seats in the lower bowl.

But yeah, the officiating in the league is horrible. You have a team that will hook, slash and interfere all game and the moment the other team has enough and reacts, that team goes into penalty killing hell because they are tired of dealing with that crap. I'm not saying protect your stars, I am saying protect players, call it fair, leave your bull **** agenda at home.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well it wasn't but a short while ago that Crosby was getting cross checked to the back of the head and then again while he was down--with little or no response. He and Letang are still targets. Malkin seems capable and willing to defend himself. Kessel? IDK.

Pretty close battle for playoff spots over the next two months. It's gonna get progressively more chippy. If the same ******** starts to occur, Sestito up for a few games just might ensure that your offense keeps right on producing instead of spending the latter half of the season in a cast and/or destroying any playoff hopes.

This team can't afford to get bullied or have cheap shot artists fire at will. So they sign Sestito. He's a very big body, once led the NHL in PIMS and has been known to produce offensively on occasion (no less than some of the pukes they've added from WBS so far). You can critique his fighting skills, but a whole lot of folks in this league don't want to tangle with him at all. Guess what? That's why he's been signed and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Might never see another NHL game. Then again, he might just be called up to chirp at the Brandon Dubinsky types like a Rottweiler chained to the bench. Or he may see minutes as the race gets tighter, the games get more important and the idiots on the opposing team decide to do what idiots do. Sometimes a kind word or two from a 6'5", 240lb guy that isn't afraid to end a guy's career works like magic to keep things fair.

Move it on over Kevin, Conner and Scott, one of you has to make way for a big ole dog. :box:

Geno DGAF if someone comes at him, he draws a lot of penalties himself. Crosby, for some reason, if he does retaliate, he gets thrown in the box. Refs still tag him like he's that 18yr old that chirped refs. He's 28 now, they'll never get over it.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It means nothing unless/until they replace the likes of Porter, Wilson and Sheary with someone like Sestito.

The fact Sullivan chooses to play Sheary on our fourth line should be immediate grounds for a dismissal this summer.

I don't care who he puts on the ice. The team is fun to watch again after he took over. All the players are playing much better with his system. I love the fast aggressive forechecking system!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad