Confirmed with Link: Sestito signed for 1y 2-way @ $575k

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe Terrapin will be happy.

Maybe.

Hahahahahaha... yeah... sure.

They didn't invent a cloning vat, cook up a fresh batch of Broad Street Bullies and sign every single one of them to lifelong contracts. So he won't be happy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He was working off two 25 game try-outs so this is just them saying "we like you enough to keep you around the rest of the year." Not a big deal.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't even care about why they'd want a goon, I just have no idea why they'd sign him right now.

My guess is that somebody else offered him a NHL 2-way deal which would have paid him more than his AHL deal did, so the Pens had to match it to keep him. Or was he on a tryout deal? If he was on a tryout deal then there's your answer.

I really hope this changes nothing. Sestito is a broke man's Rinaldo.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
He was working off two 25 game try-outs so this is just them saying "we like you enough to keep you around the rest of the year." Not a big deal.
Seriously, it seems like you are one of the only ones so far that managed to read the little article and not just the headline. He's been playing with WBS for awhile and has done fine so they are contracting him for the rest of the season. After signing he is being immediately waived/sent down to WBS not staying up with the NHL club.

They will likely never call him up (although would he really be worse than Porter...I mean he would at least bring something to the table?), but should something happen during the remaining series (most likely NYI/Philly) it's not a bad thing to just have your own nuke in reserve to deal with any retaliation.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It means nothing unless/until they replace the likes of Porter, Wilson and Sheary with someone like Sestito.

The fact Sullivan chooses to play Sheary on our fourth line should be immediate grounds for a dismissal this summer.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Sestito has been putting up production offensively as of late. He has been placed onto the PP with his big body presence and has good enough hands in tight.

When Samuel Morin boarded J-S Dea from behind - Sestito responded right away and and edge out the borderline 6'7" defenseman. Would take him over Porter/Sheary on the fourth-line.

Sestito is a competent fourth-liner. Rutherford (who despises the so called "three-minute goons") would not have let this happened. That being said, he will be on WBS for the remainder of the season. Still, I support this signing.

The overreactions/hyberboles will be entertaining.

"Enforcers are useless/redundant."

Interesting point of view from those who most likely never put on a pair of skates in their entire lifetime. I value NHL players' opinions over those who have never played. Many scouts/general managers still see value in the role. The work they do both on and off the ice is very much appreciated.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... I don't at all mind that they signed him. It doesn't bother me a bit. He's a farm goon and probably needed in that role. Things still get more than a little hairy down there every now and then. The chances of seeing him take a meaningful shift for more than a game here and there on the Penguins is pretty minuscule.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The chances that the Pens recall him is essentially zero. I like Jacob's description, they signed him to this deal to keep him around for the rest of the year. He's not going to touch the ice once here.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seriously, it seems like you are one of the only ones so far that managed to read the little article and not just the headline. He's been playing with WBS for awhile and has done fine so they are contracting him for the rest of the season. After signing he is being immediately waived/sent down to WBS not staying up with the NHL club.

They will likely never call him up (although would he really be worse than Porter...I mean he would at least bring something to the table?), but should something happen during the remaining series (most likely NYI/Philly) it's not a bad thing to just have your own nuke in reserve to deal with any retaliation.

I actually didn't even click it.. just used the ol' noodle.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The chances that the Pens recall him is essentially zero. I like Jacob's description, they signed him to this deal to keep him around for the rest of the year. He's not going to touch the ice once here.

And when you are proven to be wrong, will you ship yourself to the moon?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And when you are proven to be wrong, will you ship yourself to the moon?

What the **** are you talking about?

Sestito probably isn't going to play a game for the Pens. The organization has shown time and time again that they value skilled players over tough players. Sestito isn't going to be recalled, he fits absolutely nothing of Sullivan's system.

The Penguins will be placing Sestito on waivers Monday, and if he clears on Tuesday at noon, he will be assigned back to WBS.

If they intended on using him in the NHL, they wouldn't be saying this in the article that announces his signing.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What the **** are you talking about?

Sestito probably isn't going to play a game for the Pens. The organization has shown time and time again that they value skilled players over tough players. Sestito isn't going to be recalled, he fits absolutely nothing of Sullivan's system.

If they intended on using him in the NHL, they wouldn't be saying this in the article that announces his signing.

You're probably right on this account, the Pens organization does love them some non-descript players like Porter. Look how well that has worked out for the team the past 5 years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're probably right on this account, the Pens organization does love them some non-descript players like Porter. Look how well that has worked out for the team the past 5 years.

So you're admitting your original comment was dumb as hell then?

It took you 1 post to flop on your stance that the Pens will play Sestito in a game.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So you're admitting your original comment was dumb as hell then?

It took you 1 post to flop on your stance that the Pens will play Sestito in a game.

Oh you should gloat away. You haven't been on the correct side of discussion since you signed up to these boards. And if the Pens had any intelligence in their front office, you would be wrong with this topic as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad