Serious Concern

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
No matter the PR that is to come from the new owners this was a power struggle over team direction and a TOTAL DECISION to sack Burke at a critical time in the year/season was an example of irrational behavior were in for the future.

You watch the typical Canadian Politically correct BS that is our cultural trait, lie lie lie so as to not make waves..

I hate that about our culture, everyone hides from controversy or offending anyone...

this is a disgrace

if you think a group of corporate suits in there 50's & 60's with no experience know better good luck

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
Businesses hide from controversy. This is what they do. This is not restricted to Canada so I'm confused as to why you're trying to piggy-back issues of political correctness and Canadian culture onto this issue.

DaveT83*

Irrational would have been allowing Burke to continue to destroy this Franchise - both on the ice - in the pipeline - and via its Global Brand/Identity.

Similar to the Ron Wilson firing - the only thing I lament is that it took so long to materialize.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
How many GMs in the league have total autonomy? Lamoriello annnd...? This isn't a Canadian thing, it's a business thing. These guys gave Burke a lot more freedom than JFJ ever got, and JFJ's teams finished better in the standings. Yeah, Burke inherited a bad team, but he had a lot of time to improve it and we haven't seen many results. The brass wants playoff hockey, and Burke didn't deliver. If it's true that it came down to Burke's hesitation to acquire Luongo (who would probably turn this team into a playoff team), I can't say I disagree with the decision.

And let's not forget, Burke had the opportunity to acquire Jeff Carter, who can play center and would have slotted in as Toronto's number one. He got greedy with his counter offer and lost the opportunity.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Canadians our the most Politically correct culture on the planet

Try saying something that offends someone...

Burke was bombastic and out spoken and got sacked for that by "THE ELITE SUITS" who of course no better...i suspect this was all over Luongo deal...

If we make playoffs this year due to a short term trade forget rebuild its over our draft position will be crap and no good assets will be drafted at # 15-20

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Burke didn't get it done, he might of built a OK farm team, but thats it, I'm not sure the exact reason he was fired, but the Leafs are better now he's not making hockey decisions.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Okay a rebuild in 4 years is what you guys wanted and demanded??? I suspect everyone of you would have gutted the farm and draft for short term fixes..for your "4 year rebuild"

It takes time...ala Biggs a power forward expected to play in 2 years or 4 years post draft...

what would the "FIX" be rush him????

it takes time to draft elite talent

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Irrational would have been allowing Burke to continue to destroy this Franchise - both on the ice - in the pipeline - and via its Global Brand/Identity.

Similar to the Ron Wilson firing - the only thing I lament is that it took so long to materialize.

During the time span that Burke was GM, the value of the Leafs went from under 500m to 1b.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Burke drafted very very well

i think a lot of fans/posters would have preferred dealing all of these picks for short term fixes..

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Burke drafted very very well

i think a lot of fans/posters would have preferred dealing all of these picks for short term fixes..

so weird

you must be able to name a single burke draft pick who graduated to become a regular on the leafs then right?

or maybe you were joking

:laugh:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Canadians our the most Politically correct culture on the planet

You obviously haven't traveled much.

Burke was bombastic and out spoken and got sacked for that by "THE ELITE SUITS" who of course no better...i suspect this was all over Luongo deal...

Do you not realize that you just contradicted yourself? You claim he was fired for being bombastic and outspoken but then claim it was all due to the Luongo deal? And do you not understand that there is no Luongo deal? Teams are not allowed to discuss trades yet so there cannot be a deal or even any discussions of a deal.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Another "The Sky is Falling!!!" thread. What is that, like seven today?

I've never seen a fan base so afraid of the unknown.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Okay a rebuild in 4 years is what you guys wanted and demanded??? I suspect everyone of you would have gutted the farm and draft for short term fixes..for your "4 year rebuild"

So now you know what every other poster here would have done?

Can you try that again but in English this time?

What takes time is developing elite talent, drafting it takes no time at all.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

It takes time...ala Biggs a power forward expected to play in 2 years or 4 years post draft...

Failed to sign any big free agents.
Failed to address the two most glaring needs, holes at center and goaltending that have needed to be filled since he got here.
Failed to make any significant improvement in the standings.

He made some excellent moves during his tenure. He also failed to make the most important ones.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Failed to sign any big free agents.
Failed to address the two most glaring needs, holes at center and goaltending that have needed to be filled since he got here.
Failed to make any significant improvement in the standings.

He made some excellent moves during his tenure. He also failed to make the most important ones.

You make it sound like he didn't try to address these needs. He made the proper pitch to Brad Richards, but it was a far gone conclusion Richards was going to NY.

He tried to address goaltending, how many teams were going after Gustavsson? How many teams thought he could be an NHL goalie? Only one team got him...

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
You make it sound like he didn't try to address these needs. He made the proper pitch to Brad Richards, but it was a far gone conclusion Richards was going to NY.

He tried to address goaltending, how many teams were going after Gustavsson? How many teams thought he could be an NHL goalie? Only one team got him...

Brian Burke: Never made the playoffs, but damn it he tried hard!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The only serious concern...

Is all the Burke lovers who think him going to parades is more important than improving this team.Burke thought he was bigger than Leaf nation.Burke got flattened.He did a garbage job,making his own agenda top priority.I am still highly suspicious of the Kessel trade with his buddies in Boston and how he overpaid.His free agent signings were stupid and Grabo making $5 million is "ludicrous" by his own admission.

We have a bunch of naive Leaf fans who are upset because a champion of their views was fired for being a bad GM.They assume the rest of us care about their causes and him supporting them is some kind of moral victory.Well he is gone,and Leaf nation is number one again.I am well tired of Burke's sideshow antics at our expense.Good riddance.Good move Leaf brass.Bravo!Encore!:handclap:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
IF they wanted to go in a different direction this was the perfect time to do. Absolutely perfect. You guys have a lot of players coming off the books at the end of the year. IF the leafs struggle this year they can move them for assets at the deadline. One's that the new gm covets. He can then put his own real stamp on the team in the off season. It's not like they were gonna fire him during the lockout. They did it as quickly as they could.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Is all the Burke lovers who think him going to parades is more important than improving this team.Burke thought he was bigger than Leaf nation.Burke got flattened.He did a garbage job,making his own agenda top priority.I am still highly suspicious of the Kessel trade with his buddies in Boston and how he overpaid.His free agent signings were stupid and Grabo making $5 million is "ludicrous" by his own admission.

We have a bunch of naive Leaf fans who are upset because a champion of their views was fired for being a bad GM.They assume the rest of us care about their causes and him supporting them is some kind of moral victory.Well he is gone,and Leaf nation is number one again.I am well tired of Burke's sideshow antics at our expense.Good riddance.Good move Leaf brass.Bravo!Encore!:handclap:

This post is the definition of burke hater wow. He has been our best gm for a long time who actually cared about the long term instead of just the short term and that's why fans hated him. So dumb wow

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
I have travelled all over the world PUG

And i stand by my comments thats Canadians our extremely Politically correct and afraid of rocking the boat as a culture

As an example even our crime stats are culturally & ethically coded to not identify anyone on those stats...

Burke was Bombastic and got sacked because of it

Bell can run the team well......we will see i highly doubt it, Ballard proved corp meddling was ooohhhh so successful

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

he doesn't get credit for just trying. there's no award for participation.

he might have tried, but he didn't get it done. that's all that matters.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
so weird

you must be able to name a single burke draft pick who graduated to become a regular on the leafs then right?

or maybe you were joking

:laugh:

Its fairly uninformed to think we would have seen one prior to this season and maybe next

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How many GMs in the league have total autonomy? Lamoriello annnd...? This isn't a Canadian thing, it's a business thing. These guys gave Burke a lot more freedom than JFJ ever got, and JFJ's teams finished better in the standings. Yeah, Burke inherited a bad team, but he had a lot of time to improve it and we haven't seen many results. The brass wants playoff hockey, and Burke didn't deliver. If it's true that it came down to Burke's hesitation to acquire Luongo (who would probably turn this team into a playoff team), I can't say I disagree with the decision.

And let's not forget, Burke had the opportunity to acquire Jeff Carter, who can play center and would have slotted in as Toronto's number one. He got greedy with his counter offer and lost the opportunity.

Not really. The Devils ownership signed Kovalchuk to that contract, not Lou.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I was on the board, I'd be a little pissed off at Burke too. I mean, autonomy is great when you're winning cups, but when Burke's being his "straight shooting" self and he's throwing out a significant fortune on the likes of Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Beauchemin, etc. it would be a pain in the ass.

I'd rather have an owner who forces his GM to sign Ilya Kovalchuk than have a GM with full autonomy giving us Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Beauchemin level signings year after year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad