Serious Concern

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
hey the moment i hold myself out as being qualified to be hired for 3 mil X 6 yrs to manage the leafs, what i would have done becomes relevant, i don't do that and won't waste our time with hindsight because the answers are obvious

Are your legs tired from dancing around this yet?

not a single draft pick he made while he was here ever cracked the nhl for more than a cup of coffee, there is nothing tangible you can point at that justifies keeping him

That justifies keeping him? No. But he did not suck the way you and some others like to claim. The organization is in much better shape now than when he arrived.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
But not prospects.

The only drafted prospects that made an impact were Kadri and Frattin (and Frattin was a JFJ pick).

This is just the truth of the matter. And even more astonishing is the fact that not a single draft pick from any of Burkes piss poor years have made the NHL team yet.

The Marlies didn't make it to the Calder final because of Burke's drafting and prospects....which are perceived by scouts and prospect publications as average.

Your argument is ridiculous. You are claiming that Burke drafted poorly because none of his picks have cracked the NHL full time yet but then laud the players on the Marlies who you think got them to the Calder Cup final without acknowledging that they have been around even longer than Burke's picks!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I was very happy when we hired Burke......and was very happy when he was fired. If Burke had said it was going to take 5-7 years to rebuild the team I would have trusted that. He said he could retool on the fly and get it done faster.

When he signed and traded for a bunch of plugs and made the Kessel deal.....it was over for me as a supporter of him. It is one thing to trade bit pieces to try and change the team, it is a far different thing to trade 2 first round and a high second for a player who will not be useful to us for many years.

His crowning of Dion as the captain of the Leafs still remains as one of the worst moves that he left us with. Lets hope Carlyle puts Dion in his place.

Will the new owners be overbearing......I have no idea.....nor does anyone else on here. I do know that they were not under Burke's spell as seen by them removing him as the President and GM. I for one am neutral on the hiring of Nonis as I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other and I will wait to see what he does before pasting judgement.

I can see Burke going back to working for the NHL at seasons end.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
And here I was thinking the end of the lockout would stop the stupid threads from popping up every day. It seems to have enticed people to create even more now!

#missthelockout

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If you look at the numbers, Burke already is...considering he has the most non-playoff seasons in team history.

And as you mention, one would think that the prospect talent would reflect being so terrible. Unfortunately it doesn't...

And only 53% of teams make the playoffs these day -- compared to times like the 80s when 76% of the teams made the playoffs and I would argue that the Leafs were far worse than they are today.

DaveT83*

I was very happy when we hired Burke......and was very happy when he was fired. If Burke had said it was going to take 5-7 years to rebuild the team I would have trusted that. He said he could retool on the fly and get it done faster.

When he signed and traded for a bunch of plugs and made the Kessel deal.....it was over for me as a supporter of him. It is one thing to trade bit pieces to try and change the team, it is a far different thing to trade 2 first round and a high second for a player who will not be useful to us for many years.

His crowning of Dion as the captain of the Leafs still remains as one of the worst moves that he left us with. Lets hope Carlyle puts Dion in his place.

Will the new owners be overbearing......I have no idea.....nor does anyone else on here. I do know that they were not under Burke's spell as seen by them removing him as the President and GM. I for one am neutral on the hiring of Nonis as I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other and I will wait to see what he does before pasting judgement.

I can see Burke going back to working for the NHL at seasons end.

^100%

Except I thought when he was hired it should have been deemed illegal - the whole thing reaked of Tampering - Wilson being hired - Cliff's moves as Interim GM ... all suggested that Burke and MLSE had agreed he would leave ANA for Toronto. So IMO the whole scenario got off to a bad start - and only got worse.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
^100%

Except I thought when he was hired it should have been deemed illegal - the whole thing reaked of Tampering - Wilson being hired - Cliff's moves as Interim GM ... all suggested that Burke and MLSE had agreed he would leave ANA for Toronto. So IMO the whole scenario got off to a bad start - and only got worse.

I agree that Burke was the GM long before he got hired....his coach was hired as well as we moved up to draft Schenn....etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad