Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
MTL traded away the following around the deadline:
Reilly, Mccaron, Scandella, Kovalchuk, Peca, Nate Thompson to PIT and Cousins.

They have a better chance of winning draft lotto than the cup.

Just saying they have no business even having a shot at the playoffs
I swear people on these boards just like making argument for the sake of argument.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Just saying they have no business even having a shot at the playoffs
I swear people on these boards just like making argument for the sake of argument.
slow days so cant blame people for making outlandish arguments (50% chance etc).
With 3 losses in last GP and Klefa injury IMO we now have a better chance of making the playoffs than if the season never stopped. We would have struggled to get to 90pts and the organization probably saved themselves from a big embarrassment. Sure, the DAL bye could have been nice but it doesn't really matter. We get a meaningful series to get our juices flowing. At worst we lose to CHI and get a top 10 draft pick.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
What's this handicap going to look like? The details are pretty important for this situation.

The biggest missing detail is how do we determine top 6 in the conference? Points percentage is a pretty crap tie breaker.

Top 6 would be by points percentage, there’s really no other way to do that.

Handicap could be as simple as 1st place get 5 points; 2nd gets 4...all the way to 6th who gets 0. Maybe there’s a better format for that part?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Oh, this is a proposal. Just had my coffee..;)

Downsides? Round robin. Handicap.

Just can't see something like this ever occuring and it fails the KISS test. Trouble is if you devise a mousetrap that is too difficult to use or comprehend nobody uses it or buys it. Hockey particularly has the problem of being a sport that for non fans is a bit difficult to catch onto. Adding any complications, levels of rules, just causes casual viewers to turn it off or stay away. Try explaining in a telecast to a new viewer in Texas that Team A, even if they win the game, they lose. Unless say they win by 3 goals or some nonsense like that.

I understand the rationale of creating a handicap or hedge. This works in betting. Generally it isn't what attracts people though to actually viewing pro sports or competition. On the ice it should be the winners winning, in any format. Not some team backing in because they got a sweet margin to work with.

Any other option makes the first 70 games basically pointless.

I’m sure most fans could understand how a round robin works, at least I certainly hope so. And all the handicap has to be is as simple as either starting with what points the team had at the pause or start at 5 and work down to 0.

Anything is better than the plan they have now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The teams already in playoffs should be granted a win in the best of 5. So we would only have to win 2 games and they'd have to win 3. That at least respects the regular season advantage a bit while still giving those teams a real shot

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Any other option makes the first 70 games basically pointless.

I’m sure most fans could understand how a round robin works, at least I certainly hope so. And all the handicap has to be is as simple as either starting with what points the team had at the pause or start at 5 and work down to 0.

Anything is better than the plan they have now.
For sure we agree on this. heh

thanks for the reply. I do sympathize with the point of granting some teams some advantage, but that is had through potential byes, and through matchups. First team without bye should play worst team in the playoffs and so on. Eliminate divisions and conferences for that aspect.

heres my simple. First place club in each division has first round bye. This affords 4 bubble clubs that weren't in a position getting in. Top 4 teams in league after WC spots. So 20 in playoffs in all. 4 byes, 16clubs playing in first round just like normal. This is so obvious it won't occur...;)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For sure we agree on this. heh

thanks for the reply. I do sympathize with the point of granting some teams some advantage, but that is had through potential byes, and through matchups. First team without bye should play worst team in the playoffs and so on. Eliminate divisions and conferences for that aspect.

heres my simple. First place club in each division has first round bye. This affords 4 bubble clubs that weren't in a position getting in. Top 4 teams in league after WC spots. So 20 in playoffs in all. 4 byes, 16clubs playing in first round just like normal. This is so obvious it won't occur...;)
What do you think of the money and market factor? Including these teams will help the league stop the bleeding. I usually dont like market reasons having priority but in this situation I think it's okay.

I also dont think the bottom teams in these playoffs are much of a threat. There wont be many upsets imo. The only real threats to do so are the Rangers, Jets, Jackets

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'd think they will be included in the playoff stats, or else casual fans will be confused about where their favorite player's stats went. It would be annoying for announcers to constantly remind people that the first round of the this tournament is not playoffs. Lol

edit: and I'll point out that playoff stats have always been skewed by the fact that every team plays a different amount of games, and by a lot. So tossing in this play-in round wouldn't be that out of place

The only things that could throw playoff stats out when comparing to historical results would be if a play-in team goes to the cup as they could have 3-7 extra games to achieve their results or more if comparing to years before the seven game first round. That said even with 10 extra games, no one today could catch some of the records from the 80s.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Looking those old videos of Gretzky days, boy was hockey ever pretty game to watch. And it looks like wearing a hat of any sort in sports arena was illegal on 1980s.

Can't wait to see McDavid and co. back on action, life has been boring.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What would you start our lines as? Bolded = Along for the ride. For me:

AA-McDavid-Kassian/Neal
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Haas-Neal/Kassian
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira, Chiasson
Benson-McLeod

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Green
Jones-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Bouchard

Koskinen
Smith
Starrett/Skinner

I’d go

Ennis - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Drai - Yamo
AA - Haas - Neal
Chiasson - Sheahan - Archibald
Nygard/Khaira

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Benning
Green/Jones

Smith
Koskinen
Starrett

I can see the case for Jones or Green coming in for Benning, but they’re definitely bottom pairing only, and not pushing Larsson down. Luckily, we have the luxury of having 8 NHL dmen, so it’s hard to go wrong with the bottom pairing. I’d rather go with the guys that got us here to start out against Chicago. Jones-Green might make a mistake that costs us simply by being less experienced (Jones), or less familiar with the systems (Green). Those guys can easily step in if someone struggles.

Up front, the only one I really disagree with you on is Chiasson. He’s probably our most underrated player. People shit on him, but he’s still been a 30 point player in a depth role for us this year, and it’s proven that he can slide all the way up to the top line if needed. He’s also a recent cup winner. I’d probably go for Granlund instead of McLeod too on the off chance we actually need them to step in.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I didnt mind Green and think that his puck moving ability could really help our club. If Larsson is healthy and ready to go he can help to make the Hawks miserable in our zone along the boards.
I don’t mind Green either, I just think Larsson was playing a lot better near the end of the season.

my comment was more about how good Larsson was playing

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Probably a bit unrelated but anyone else think Travis Yost is on crack cocaine?
Writes an article on finding the NHL's version of Jordan and Pippen and fails to mention the top two players in the game... oh dear
This dude gives the Oilers no respect whatsoever

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Writes an article on finding the NHL's version of Jordan and Pippen and fails to mention the top two players in the game... oh dear

sorry--we left you off of the chain email--the eastern media is not supposed to give us respect--when one does? HE gets fired

qannon97979

May 21, 2020
for the play in series against the hawks i would go with the following lineup:

Kassian McDavid Neal
RNH Drai Yam0
AA Haas Ennis
Archibald Shea Chia's Son

Klef Green
Nurse Bear
Russel Larsson

Smith

My rationale for the first line is that Neal is historically a hot starter (like earlier in this season) and I feel like he could take advantage of the rust goalies will undoubtedly have esp with McD setting him up. Second line does not need any explanation lol. The 4th line would be more a defensive line that tipp could use strategically throughout the game. Finally, the Haas line is a fast line that could be effective against the hawks inexperience bottom 6 and bottom 2 D pairings.

The d pairings : I elected to put Green on the top pair because he has vast amount of experience and is an excellent puck mover. this would be useful against a speedy team like the hawks. The second pairing was solid throughout the season and has a solid combination of puck moving (bear) and transport (nurse). Lastly, the last pairing would be more of a defensive option and russel and larsson are still decent at puck movement so thats why i chose this. The pairing is not the greatest i admit. i chose smith for the goalie because he has the experience and we def need a battler in the net.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
for the play in series against the hawks i would go with the following lineup:

Kassian McDavid Neal
RNH Drai Yam0
AA Haas Ennis
Archibald Shea Chia's Son

Klef Green
Nurse Bear
Russel Larsson

Smith

My rationale for the first line is that Neal is historically a hot starter (like earlier in this season) and I feel like he could take advantage of the rust goalies will undoubtedly have esp with McD setting him up. Second line does not need any explanation lol. The 4th line would be more a defensive line that tipp could use strategically throughout the game. Finally, the Haas line is a fast line that could be effective against the hawks inexperience bottom 6 and bottom 2 D pairings.

The d pairings : I elected to put Green on the top pair because he has vast amount of experience and is an excellent puck mover. this would be useful against a speedy team like the hawks. The second pairing was solid throughout the season and has a solid combination of puck moving (bear) and transport (nurse). Lastly, the last pairing would be more of a defensive option and russel and larsson are still decent at puck movement so thats why i chose this. The pairing is not the greatest i admit. i chose smith for the goalie because he has the experience and we def need a battler in the net.
I like it. I might switch Ennis with Neil but I would go either way. I’m bias and super like Ennis though haha.

Reactions: qannon97979

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Call me crazy, but its Toews that I fear the most. Simply because we know what to expect from Kane. I'm afraid that a rested Toews will be relentless with the opportunity that he didnt think he would have back in March. He won't be able to maintain it through 5 rounds, but he could be very dangerous in a short first round.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton

Ive read multiple articles he’s written on TSN. He’s a massive leaf homer and his articles are brutal. I’ve stopped reading his stuff just because all he writes about are the leafs.

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad