Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hey everyone my name is ClinicallyOilered and I’m a huge Sam Gagner fan.

Those PO videos of Gretzky and co. beating on the Blackhawks makes me feel bad for goalies pre-2000s

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was listening to Gregor and Strudwick yesterday and they were both pretty adamant that Russell should start the series instead of Caleb Jones.

I have to admit, I'd be pretty irritated if that was the case.

I'd like to see something like the following at even strength:

Ennis-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
AA-Sheahan-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

I'd have Khaira , Nygard, P Russell and the other black aces as the extra forwards for Game 1. Khaira's only real value right now is on the PK and the number of calls really bottom out in the playoffs.

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Russell-Benning

There’s absolutely no chance you pull Russell out of the lineup. 0. I wouldn’t even take Benning out. You start with what got us there

Klefa - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Benning

If someone struggles, you bring in Jones or Green (or both) depending on what you need. Let’s not forget that 5 of those 6 dmen were in the lineup when we nearly made it to the conference finals. Bear for Sekera is the only difference.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Chicago is closer to the bottom of the conference than they are to Edmonton points wise.

Bit of a joke that they get a shot at the playoffs but they're still a dangerous team, especially in a short series, especially after a long break where the quality of hockey will likely be quite low.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I hope Draisaitl is keeping in shape for this. He sometimes takes a while to warm up..

I think it’s 50/50 against Chicago, but if we get past that then we have a higher chance against Dallas with our players all warmed up and juicy

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Would be a shame if Jones isn't in the lineup. He looked to be our best defenceman the last ~10 games or more. He was just getting that rhythm. Kris Russell is a detriment to our team every time he steps onto the ice. He is a net negative, and the only reason he is blocking shots is because he's routinely turning pucks over.

Keep him as far away from our lineup as possible!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There’s absolutely no chance you pull Russell out of the lineup. 0. I wouldn’t even take Benning out. You start with what got us there

Klefa - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Benning

If someone struggles, you bring in Jones or Green (or both) depending on what you need. Let’s not forget that 5 of those 6 dmen were in the lineup when we nearly made it to the conference finals. Bear for Sekera is the only difference.

Jones is a much more significant part of what got us there than Kris Russell is, and the conference finals were three years ago now. That an eternity in hockey.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I hope Draisaitl is keeping in shape for this. He sometimes takes a while to warm up..

I think it’s 50/50 against Chicago, but if we get past that then we have a higher chance against Dallas with our players all warmed up and juicy
Didn’t he start the season with like 15 points in 7 games?

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Right here, cheering on the Oilers.

upload_2020-3-16_17-19-35-png.336517

Just so everybody is clear, this is photoshopped.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

In 5 of the first 7 games this season Draisaitl scored either 2 or 3 points (he had more 3 point games than 2 point games).
Last season was a much slower start with just 13 points in his first 11 games.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm not surprised the Oilers are getting shafted again....more surprised the Ducks aren't being gifted a bye.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Isn't it a little pre mature to make a thread about this? Oh well, I'm going with it.

I pick the Oilers to win because you know... Optimism. Still there's something about the idea of this match up that makes me go:
l1KVavPEqx602g1qg.gif

Regardless... HOCKEY IS COMING BACK MOFOS!! :naughty:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My initial thoughts are that Chicago is a scary opponent. A veteran laden team with some young key players as well. Likely better goaltending as well. IMO the difference in this series is whether or not we get McDavids line going. We need guys like AA, Green and ennis to step up in a big way for us.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Obviously I'm less than happy about having to play a team that had a 1% chance of making the playoffs. I'm wondering if there has been any thought of changing the way this series goes, compared to traditional series. Like, why not give the higher team a slightly bigger advantage in the series? Maybe have them be the home team for every game, thus getting the last change every game. I also think that making that lower team have to win 4 games would also be fair, although I can't see that being accepted.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like the potential reseeding possibility after the 1st round of play ins.

I agree, Dallas and their defensive schemes aren’t a good matchup for us.

Burke was really pushing the reseed idea on the radio the other day. He said that it was scrapped in years past due to unfavorable travel, which obviously wouldn't be applicable in hub cities. Seems like the players want reseed as well, so I'm guessing that will probably happen.

Reactions: snipes

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
In a 5 game series, if Kane gets hot and the calls go Chicago's way (okay WHEN the calls go Chicago's way) the Hawks are a scary team. This could easily go belly up for the Oilers.

the should be *some* benefit to a team like Edmonton, who finished 11 points and 8 regulation wins up on Chicago. In a normal series, that would be home ice advantage.

I saw someone on twitter suggest that Pit and EDM should start their series up 1-0. That's reasonable.

Yeah, I just suggested that the #12 teams should have to win 4 games. Starting up 1 game would be fine as well, maybe even more fair actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad