SERIES DISCUSSION: Metro Division Finals | (1) Penguins vs. (2) Rangers | GAME 1 FRI.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Oh and my hope lives on, MTL takes game 1 in Boston and even if they lose game 2, they have home ice adantage back on their side now. Go Habs go!

Penguinzilla*

As a Rangers fan--I usually write Pens for Penguins--Isles for Islanders--sometimes Devs for Devils and almost always Flyers for the Flyers. I don't like any of these teams but don't feel a real need to **** on those that do--I'll abbreviate them often but it's all clean to me--nothing pejorative. I'm not under the illusion that all other Rangers fans feel the same way--that there aren't some looking to demean or insult other teams and their players. It happens all the time in any fan base. I've been following my team since 1971-72 and to me most of that **** is just puerile.

A lot of fans abbreviate that term for the Rangers. I really don't give a **** what terms they use. I do what I do and you all and the rest of the hockey world can do what you want to do. I know it offends a lot of Rangers fans though and I don't know any diehard Ranger fan that would use that term even in an abbreviated form. To us it's the Rangers period.

I'm confused. Did you just say that "Rags" is another word for the "Rangers period"?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I wouldn't be too worried about practice line combos.

They had KCB/KCS and JMN in practice for games 5 and 6 against Columbus but rolled KCM / JSN both games.

They may go back to their normal lines just to see if they have success (and maybe they should do that), but I don't think they'll hesitate to load up if needed.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
MTL won that game due to a miracle. BOS dominated them the entire game, but blew many chances. MTL doesn't stand much of a chance if future games are like this. We will see if that game breaks BOS spirit though. I know we all hope it does.

eh, I'm sure you have some numbers that support this, but from just watching it, I felt like the game was pretty even through the first two periods (with MTL earning a 2-0 lead). Boston definitely carried the play over the 3rd and 4th periods for sure, and I still except the Bruins to win the series, but I didn't think the gap between the teams was insurmountable.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I'm proud of this board.

Seems that we point out the obvious when we lose, like odd coaching decisions and some really mediocre players.

Looks to me like everyone else creates a ton of built in excuses beforehand like bad officiating and the usual nonsense.

Flyers fans have at least actually blamed goaltending or their GM when losing to us, especially around the Cup year. However, according to Rangers fans every Penguins win in history against them has been because of officiating. It's pretty funny.

I know! Remember in '92 when Graves broke Lemieux's hand with a two-handed ax chop, and then the refs took over and won the Pens the series?

Oh, wait, that was Ron Francis...........

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Oh and my hope lives on, MTL takes game 1 in Boston and even if they lose game 2, they have home ice adantage back on their side now. Go Habs go!

Id be amazed if the habs can pull it off, but if they can take a lot of these games to OT to wear them out a bit, it would give the Pens or the Moist Towlettes some hope next round.
Lets be honest, the Canadians won that game, but watching it it could easily have been a huge blowout for the Bruins. Puckluck and price isnt likely to win the series....

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Whenever I read "entitled pens fans" on hfboards I scratch my head. We seem to be the most honest, maybe even self-deprecating, fans on the site. Unless there's an army of Pens fans who don't post on the Pens board, only on the general boards, I don't think I've met very many entitled Pens fans.

#Hivemind
#RockHard

but more seriously, i find that all too often the opinions of local media are used as a proxy for the opinions of the fan base at large. i hope that's not the case in this particular instance but i could envision someone reading the Trib/Gazette and surmising that Penguin fans are an arrogant, dim-witted, entitled bunch.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I know! Remember in '92 when Graves broke Lemieux's hand with a two-handed ax chop, and then the refs took over and won the Pens the series?

Oh, wait, that was Ron Francis...........

After years of refs hating on superstars here in Pittsburgh and still hearing how we were favored in the ref department, I think all pens fans have given up on even mentioning them... NHL refs are above and beyond the worse officials in pro sports. Games shouldnt be evened up regardless of talent levels or penalty counts... but at least its consistantly bad for everyone.

A team may get an advantage one game, but will liely see the bad calls go against it the next one... its so consistant in its terrible nature that it cant ever be an excuse... players simply have to rise above it to win... the team down is getting a PP in the last 10 minutes whether the opposing team deserves one called or not, the team up is likely to get nothing save the worse penalties that can be committed or most obvious calls, a tie playoff game late is going to take a huge penalty, or one that is beyond obvious or a ton of the smaller ones before anything is called...

Ultimately if a game is close enough that reffing tips it one way or another you certainly werent performing good enough to earn the win

Learn to live with it and not whine should be the motto of the NHL fan

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
#Hivemind
#RockHard

but more seriously, i find that all too often the opinions of local media are used as a proxy for the opinions of the fan base at large. i hope that's not the case in this particular instance but i could envision someone reading the Trib/Gazette and surmising that Penguin fans are an arrogant, dim-witted, entitled bunch.

Its also the fact that one opinion from an idiotic arrogant fan is magnified in the eyes of messageboard or talk show communities. Think of how often you hear about how bad the opinion of one of the fanbases is on their board, then when you check it out its only one or two posters being idiots and everyone else reasonably talking them down... it happens a lot... The majority of the posters are reasonable, but stereotyped based on the few extremists in the group

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
#Hivemind
#RockHard

You know, thanks. That's a really logical answer. That and the fact that the Pens receive more blind hatred than any team south of Toronto.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
After years of refs hating on superstars here in Pittsburgh and still hearing how we were favored in the ref department, I think all pens fans have given up on even mentioning them... NHL refs are above and beyond the worse officials in pro sports. Games shouldnt be evened up regardless of talent levels or penalty counts... but at least its consistantly bad for everyone.

A team may get an advantage one game, but will liely see the bad calls go against it the next one... its so consistant in its terrible nature that it cant ever be an excuse... players simply have to rise above it to win... the team down is getting a PP in the last 10 minutes whether the opposing team deserves one called or not, the team up is likely to get nothing save the worse penalties that can be committed or most obvious calls, a tie playoff game late is going to take a huge penalty, or one that is beyond obvious or a ton of the smaller ones before anything is called...

Ultimately if a game is close enough that reffing tips it one way or another you certainly werent performing good enough to earn the win

Learn to live with it and not whine should be the motto of the NHL fan

Every time someone says this I just picture Dan O'Halloran laughing at Sidney Crosby after he had his stick slashed out of his hand while standing 10ft in front of the Columbus net.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
eh, I'm sure you have some numbers that support this, but from just watching it, I felt like the game was pretty even through the first two periods (with MTL earning a 2-0 lead). Boston definitely carried the play over the 3rd and 4th periods for sure, and I still except the Bruins to win the series, but I didn't think the gap between the teams was insurmountable.

MTL only took 38% of the shot attempts in the game (FF% of 38%). They were completely dominated. Outside of them pulling off the same kind of upset they had against WSH or PIT (similar circumstances), I doubt they win another game (if this continues). Odds are not in their favor. I do want them to upset (obviously). BOS probably had a 3:1 scoring chance advantage (don't have numbers for that though, just my memmory).

http://www.extraskater.com/team/montreal-canadiens/2013p

BOS is such a scary team.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
MTL only took 38% of the shot attempts in the game (FF% of 38%). They were completely dominated. Outside of them pulling off the same kind of upset they had against WSH or PIT (similar circumstances), I doubt they win another game (if this continues). Odds are not in their favor. I do want them to upset (obviously). BOS probably had a 3:1 scoring chance advantage (don't have numbers for that though, just my memmory).

The odds that the shot attempt disparity remains anywhere close to the level it was at last night are even lower. The most frustrating thing about watching these games is how the Bruins clutch n grab their way out of so many mistakes and only get called for every 11th interference infraction. Chara is essentially half hockey player, half pro wrestler at this point.

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown

They are 5-0 in the playoffs.... I think the passed the "naked eye" test last night.... they can skate with Boston, but need Price to continue to stand on his head.

Im not discounting their chances... but would expect Boston to win a long series.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The odds that the shot attempt disparity remains anywhere close to the level it was at last night are even lower. The most frustrating thing about watching these games is how the Bruins clutch n grab their way out of so many mistakes and only get called for every 11th interference infraction. Chara is essentially half hockey player, half pro wrestler at this point.

I agree, but you must give credit to BOS for walking a thin line of what is allowed. The refs are ultimately at fault. Pens need to realize this and do more of it. Clutch and grab is ruining hockey again. You can't protest (and not do it) because it will cost you a season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

That is playoff hockey, and everyone has had notice for years it will be called that way.

The only frustrating thing is that Shero/Mario ********* this team after the Islander-Pens brawl and Bylsma refuses to play that game. If you are going to unilaterally disarm if given warning, then do not complain.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It hurts when i constantly see Glass in practice lines.
I mean Megna, i get it, Bylsma loves Glass more than Megs.
But to start Glass over Gibbons hurts my friggin' head just thinking about the thought process behind that.

wopper

Jan 12, 2009

Did you watch the game? When the score was tied, Montreal picked it up and played fairly evenly with Boston. As soon as they got a lead (1-0, 2-0, 3-2) they sat back and got dominated.

I also agree with whoever said Boston clutches and grabs. Chara's free hand is never on his stick along the boards, it's always draped across an opponent... Just call them a few times and they'll interfering... and the game will be more interesting.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Shelly Anderson @pgshelly

#Penguins lines at skate: Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak Jokinen-Malkin-Neal Benett-Sutter-Vitale Glass-Goc-Adams

Shelly Anderson @pgshelly

All expected #Penguins are on the ice for game day skate except for Brooks Orpik, still out.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That is playoff hockey, and everyone has had notice for years it will be called that way.

The only frustrating thing is that Shero/Mario ********* this team after the Islander-Pens brawl and Bylsma refuses to play that game. If you are going to unilaterally disarm if given warning, then do not complain.

God forbid the Penguins make life miserable for the other team's best player. :shakehead

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
@penguins: Per Coach Bylsma: Fleury will be in net. Lineup will be a game-time decision. No injury updates.

Bylsma is being awful elusive on what, if anything, ails Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad