SERIES DISCUSSION: Metro Division Finals | (1) Penguins vs. (2) Rangers | GAME 1 FRI.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
What about my competing 'too lazy to type 7 letters' explanation? :cry:

Not as much potential, and you know it :laugh: .

Btw. pure poetry that Subban's game winner came off the first call against the Bruins in THEIR category (holding, obstruction, interference) of the night. After 84 minutes.

Not that the Bruins didn't 'deserve' a win on the strength of how they tilted the ice, but I cannot see how this is the same kind of rule book we've seen in most other series. PK is a beast.... and Therrien has that team composed mentally in a major way. Go Habs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As a Rangers fan--I usually write Pens for Penguins--Isles for Islanders--sometimes Devs for Devils and almost always Flyers for the Flyers. I don't like any of these teams but don't feel a real need to **** on those that do--I'll abbreviate them often but it's all clean to me--nothing pejorative. I'm not under the illusion that all other Rangers fans feel the same way--that there aren't some looking to demean or insult other teams and their players. It happens all the time in any fan base. I've been following my team since 1971-72 and to me most of that **** is just puerile.

A lot of fans abbreviate that term for the Rangers. I really don't give a **** what terms they use. I do what I do and you all and the rest of the hockey world can do what you want to do. I know it offends a lot of Rangers fans though and I don't know any diehard Ranger fan that would use that term even in an abbreviated form. To us it's the Rangers period.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As a Rangers fan--I usually write Pens for Penguins--Isles for Islanders--sometimes Devs for Devils and almost always Flyers for the Flyers. I don't like any of these teams but don't feel a real need to **** on those that do--I'll abbreviate them often but it's all clean to me--nothing pejorative. I'm not under the illusion that all other Rangers fans feel the same way--that there aren't some looking to demean or insult other teams and their players. It happens all the time in any fan base. I've been following my team since 1971-72 and to me most of that **** is just puerile.

A lot of fans abbreviate that term for the Rangers. I really don't give a **** what terms they use. I do what I do and you all and the rest of the hockey world can do what you want to do. I know it offends a lot of Rangers fans though and I don't know any diehard Ranger fan that would use that term even in an abbreviated form. To us it's the Rangers period.

Like I said, I had zero clue that it was an issue, nor could I reasonably have known until I was told. If you listed 100 possible definitions of the abbreviation 'Rags' to me and asked me which Ranger fans took issue with, the meaning you all felt it was referring to would be close to the bottom of that list.

I honestly was in shock and laughed when I was told (and infracted as well) because it wouldn't have occurred to me in a thousand years. It is not close to being obvious like 'Cindy' and other childish name calling coming from some in other fan bases is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jesus, Bob Cole calling this series too?

Listening to Bob Cole call the series actually helps me stay more focused on the game. I find that I have to keep track of the players to know who is on the ice since Cole often gets the players' names wrong. That, and he often sounds confused about stuff happening on the play, so it keeps me more focused on what's going on.

Overall, I just get amused at his comments.

"The play has stopped ... I'm not sure the reason ... must be an offsides ..." (a player is injured thirty feet away from the puck, the ref has his hand up for a delayed penalty)

"Crosby passes the puck back to Adams" (Marcel Goc, he of #57 not #87, is currently on the ice)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

It's weird, I have never heard of that term for the Rangers, outside of HF.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Tee hee. :sarcasm:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Like I said, I had zero clue that it was an issue, nor could I reasonably have known until I was told. If you listed 100 possible definitions of the abbreviation 'Rags' to me and asked me which Ranger fans took issue with, the meaning you all felt it was referring to would be close to the bottom of that list.

I honestly was in shock and laughed when I was told (and infracted as well) because it wouldn't have occurred to me in a thousand years. It is not close to being obvious like 'Cindy' and other childish name calling coming from some in other fan bases is.

Really? It's not Cindy obvious (stupid, lazy and sexist, a hat trick) but "on the rag" is a known phrase. It's interesting, I guess. I only made the connection when I found out they took issues with it, I thought it was just an abbreviation for Rangers, a stupid abbreviation, granted (sexist but less lazy). I also keep forgetting they don't like it, I'm a lazy typer.

Is there not an abbreviation that isn't NYR that I don't know about? Rangs?

:laugh:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
The same Ranger fans that get upset when they see someone say "Rags" are the ones most likely to use "Debbies", "Flygirls" and "Cindy" I've noticed. Like if they weren't Ranger fans they'd be calling them the Rags too. Because feminizing a bunch of professional athletes is very clever and high comedy.

HoRneR814

Apr 23, 2014
From the Rangers thread I think the team name is now " Pittsburgh Refdules" Refs + schedule is all I see in their thread.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm proud of this board.

Seems that we point out the obvious when we lose, like odd coaching decisions and some really mediocre players.

Looks to me like everyone else creates a ton of built in excuses beforehand like bad officiating and the usual nonsense.

Flyers fans have at least actually blamed goaltending or their GM when losing to us, especially around the Cup year. However, according to Rangers fans every Penguins win in history against them has been because of officiating. It's pretty funny.

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
The same Ranger fans that get upset when they see someone say "Rags" are the ones most likely to use "Debbies", "Flygirls" and "Cindy" I've noticed. Like if they weren't Ranger fans they'd be calling them the Rags too. Because feminizing a bunch of professional athletes is very clever and high comedy.

I always thought that "Rags" was meant to be pejorative and an insult. I didn't think of the whole "feminizing aspect" though. I just thought that it was meant to be generally a putdown, like when people call Philly "Philthy" ect..

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
All this talking about Rags ... not one person has mentioned Red Wings. I don't know if I'm disappointed or not :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe he's learning. We can only hope. ;)

Well, if any coach gives one cause to hope, nay to expect, humility and flexibility, then clearly it's Bylsma. :sarcasm:

But, hey, all seriousness, in much the same way I hope to win the lottery, I'll never stop 'hoping' where Bylsma is concerned. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not as much potential, and you know it :laugh: .

Btw. pure poetry that Subban's game winner came off the first call against the Bruins in THEIR category (holding, obstruction, interference) of the night. After 84 minutes.

Not that the Bruins didn't 'deserve' a win on the strength of how they tilted the ice, but I cannot see how this is the same kind of rule book we've seen in most other series. PK is a beast.... and Therrien has that team composed mentally in a major way. Go Habs.

Taking Boston's game and throwing it right back in their face. Patience, suffocating in the neutral zone, packing to protect the house. And, yep, MT's got that team ready, even to deal with the Bruins rulebook.

One thing I noticed: For as much as he trolls people, Subban doesn't like to have it thrown his way. Will be interested to see if Boston amps that up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm proud of this board.

Seems that we point out the obvious when we lose, like odd coaching decisions and some really mediocre players.

Looks to me like everyone else creates a ton of built in excuses beforehand like bad officiating and the usual nonsense.

Flyers fans have at least actually blamed goaltending or their GM when losing to us, especially around the Cup year. However, according to Rangers fans every Penguins win in history against them has been because of officiating. It's pretty funny.

Whenever I read "entitled pens fans" on hfboards I scratch my head. We seem to be the most honest, maybe even self-deprecating, fans on the site. Unless there's an army of Pens fans who don't post on the Pens board, only on the general boards, I don't think I've met very many entitled Pens fans.

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown
a little OT, but last night's game, despite me hating both teams, is exactly what playoff hockey should be... Electric crowd/building, skilled play on the ice, some end to end at times.

I can only hope our crowd and on ice performance is similar tonight.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Taking Boston's game and throwing it right back in their face. Patience, suffocating in the neutral zone, packing to protect the house. And, yep, MT's got that team ready, even to deal with the Bruins rulebook.

One thing I noticed: For as much as he trolls people, Subban doesn't like to have it thrown his way. Will be interested to see if Boston amps that up.

MTL won that game due to a miracle. BOS dominated them the entire game, but blew many chances. MTL doesn't stand much of a chance if future games are like this. We will see if that game breaks BOS spirit though. I know we all hope it does.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I see he's gone back to the lines from before as well.

Yep, it's like after he won the Islanders series, the successful combo of:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

then quickly became:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

before the puck even dropped in round 2. :shakehead

Head scratching decisions to say the least. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad