SERIES DISCUSSION: Metro Division Finals | (1) Penguins vs. (2) Rangers | GAME 1 FRI.

wolf fish

Dec 8, 2013
I thought the pens were practicing before games 5 and 6 against cbj with malkin and crosby on separate lines. I wouldn't put a whole lot of into the practice lines being what the use tonight.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I thought the pens were practicing before games 5 and 6 against cbj with malkin and crosby on separate lines. I wouldn't put a whole lot of into the practice lines being what the use tonight.

What is this 'practice' thing that you are talking about?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't see Bylsma going to Sid-Geno early to start out the series. At the very least he should shuffle the top 6 though. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does go to it right off the bat though. The top 6 shuffling tilted the balance for the Pens in round 1.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Did you watch the game? When the score was tied, Montreal picked it up and played fairly evenly with Boston. As soon as they got a lead (1-0, 2-0, 3-2) they sat back and got dominated.

I also agree with whoever said Boston clutches and grabs. Chara's free hand is never on his stick along the boards, it's always draped across an opponent... Just call them a few times and they'll interfering... and the game will be more interesting.

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2014-05-01-canadiens-bruins

You can see from the shot chart that it was a fairly regular shot/min difference between the teams. I don't many score effects going on there (we would see a slope change) or any evidence that MTL "picked it up". MTL had 1 good line (Eller line) and that may be what you were seeing. You can see a periodical "step" in MTL shots that most likely corresponds to Eller's line coming out. They were the only players who were positive. MTL would happen to "step it up" every time they were on the ice.

I don't know how anyone can think that was a close game (other than the score). BOS would win that game 9/10 times. Price was lucky (and good too) on many plays; Lucic's flub in front of the net, Marchart's goal save with his skate (for MTL), The puck that was shot parallel to the goal line behind Price, etc. I hate BOS as much as anyone, but this will not be a close series if this continues. I would say that MTL converted on almost 50% of their scoring chances. BOS converted maybe 15%. MTL has to find a way to control more of the play.

It has to be frustrating for BOS to not have won that game (and I hope it affects them negatively).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

You can see from the shot chart that it was a fairly regular shot/min difference between the teams. I don't many score effects going on there (we would see a slope change) or any evidence that MTL "picked it up". MTL had 1 good line (Eller line) and that may be what you were seeing. You can see a periodical "step" in MTL shots that most likely corresponds to Eller's line coming out. They were the only players who were positive. MTL would happen to "step it up" every time they were on the ice.

I don't know how anyone can think that was a close game (other than the score). BOS would win that game 9/10 times. Price was lucky (and good too) on many plays; Lucic's flub in front of the net, Marchart's goal save with his skate (for MTL), The puck that was shot parallel to the goal line behind Price, etc. I hate BOS as much as anyone, but this will not be a close series if this continues. I would say that MTL converted on almost 50% of their scoring chances. BOS converted maybe 15%. MTL has to find a way to control more of the play.

It has to be frustrating for BOS to not have won that game (and I hope it affects them negatively).

It is irrelevant now.

Everyone knew that Montreal could give Boston a run for their money. Whether Montreal was lucky or not, and it is debatable how uneven game one was, there is no reason to suppose that will be the game in subsequent games.

In the end Montreal won, and it sets up a must win for Boston tomorrow. Lose and they are extremely unlikely to emerge from this series.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

every time someone asks if you watched the game you just post extraskater.

Did you know: I know what extraskater is. I also watched the game. I disagree that Boston dominated for a majority of the game.

Please, in the future, do not post extraskater when asked a question about what YOU saw.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Counter tired legs with speed... Grit to wear down the already worn down players is silly... the flyers did the work... reap the benefits... dress menga and gibbons and watch that team try to keep up with them

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

As the shot chart shows, the Habs played the Bruins pretty evenly until the third. It was all Boston after that (right up until Subban trolled them--again), but the game wasn't 90 minutes of Bruin domination.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
every time someone asks if you watched the game you just post extraskater.

Did you know: I know what extraskater is. I also watched the game. I disagree that Boston dominated for a majority of the game.

Please, in the future, do not post extraskater when asked a question about what YOU saw.

The corsi/fenwick or whatever that graph is is obviously correct, but the totals really misleading. Until the third, the Habs were right there with them. Then, just at the moment the Bruins should have felt the most-confident, penalty gets called and Subban cranked the dial on the old trollometer up to 11. So your impression that "Boston dominated for a majority of the game" is incorrect is, well, correct.

Hell of a game.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The corsi/fenwick or whatever that graph is is obviously correct, but the totals really misleading. Until the third, the Habs were right there with them. Then, just at the moment the Bruins should have felt the most-confident, penalty gets called and Subban cranked the dial on the old trollometer up to 11. So your impression that "Boston dominated for a majority of the game" is incorrect is, well, correct.

Hell of a game.

Earlier I said basically what the graphs say - that through 2 periods it was a really even game with the Habs having a lead. I didn't walk away from the game thinking that Montreal is going to be another Detroit and lose four straight.

At the same time, I didn't walk away thinking they're going to win the series. I still think Boston takes this in 6 or 7, but Carey Price was really good at times last night, if he gets hot, he could absolutely force field them

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah, Bruins probably still win, but by all rights, just looking at the rosters, they should walk Montreal, but I don't think they're going to. I can see this going long.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
is mcdonagh a true #1 defenseman? top 10 in the league? 20? i think hes pretty good, but i dont see him in that top 10 category

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Counter tired legs with speed... Grit to wear down the already worn down players is silly... the flyers did the work... reap the benefits... dress menga and gibbons and watch that team try to keep up with them

you. of Corse are assuming that we have something called a coach.

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
Well, one of the Rangers fans came to a GDT one time and told us the meaning of "rags", i have no idea what it is anymore so you would have to check on the Rags board or the stanley cup thread. I think i'll ask there actually.

And Urban Dictionary answers my questions...

That nickname is absolutely fine for NY, imo. Less so than when Torts was coaching there, however.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I would say he (McDonagh) is top 10 at this point (he wasn't three years ago when Rangers fans thought he was as good as Doughty). He took a big step this season. Covers a lot of ground and has an extremely well-rounded game that involves a very good ratio of puck movement to risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad