Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Boston vs St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This two days between games is for the birds. Lets end this shit tomorrow.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I can't believe there hasn't been an announcement by the league that Cassidy got fined for his outburst on the officiating after Game 5.

The next 24 hours are going to be the longest I can remember for anything in a long, long time.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I can't believe there hasn't been an announcement by the league that Cassidy got fined for his outburst on the officiating after Game 5.

The next 24 hours are going to be the longest I can remember for anything in a long, long time.
Not when the stakes are this high. People around the league realize the pressure players and coaches (and officials) are under in the Final. They usually give a guy the benefit of the doubt.

That’s why Barbashev’s suspension is overkill. It was a missed call, should have been 2 minutes for a check to the head, at most. No suspension was warranted, and the video explanation was kind of embarrassing.

But it won’t matter.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Even most of the high octane scoring teams in the league are all about collapsing around their net. Some of them have embraced that philosophy too much and have moved away from defensemen who are large and can defend well - because they rely on the system to keep pucks on the outside and then shot blocking and retrieval. In such a system, of course it makes sense to have faster D who won't get beaten outside and can then move the puck up ice after the rest of the team collapses and blocks. THAT system allows some more end-to-end rushes, but still almost no east-west movement and so many shots simply hit shinpads. The small-fast-D-collapse style's big vulnerability is a team that is skilled AND physically strong enough to work them down low. It turns those weaker defensemen around and forces them to check the puck away instead of picking it up loose after a block.

The real answer to the Blues' style is just better puck possession, if you can manage it. Skilled players who can pass the puck and make good, simple, two-way decisions with it through the entire lineup. It allows them to escape a heavy forecheck. That's why Dallas came close to knocking them out, because, as good as Bishop was, they're basically filled with fast, two-way third liners and they have skilled defensemen who also aren't defensive slouches. Same style, just a bit better/more mature, and they're through.

The style I, personally, hope other teams don't follow is San Jose's. Trap for a counterattack and then throw the puck on net from the point and hope for a deflection or rebound. If the other team isn't blazing fast, their best answer is to put the puck in deep all night so that San Jose has to come all the way up the ice instead of counterattacking. When the score is tied, give me a hard forecheck like the Blues' over that clog garbage.
I just wanted to quote this again from the main boards, because it needs to be seen again. This sums up our game, and also my hockey philosophy. Kudos, rumrokh! I wish I had written this!

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
I tried to name my dog Oshie one time. But her name is Dot, after that got vetoed.

That is unfortunate. I tried to rename my youngest daughter (13) to Gloria once they made the final but the wife was having none of that. I did rename the cat Gloria (from Necronomicon) but the stupid cat still won't acknowledge it. At least I got to name our first dog, a German Shepherd, Saber (for the job, not the team).

And congrats!

Snake Plissken

Apr 23, 2019
Today is gonna be the longest day ever. I usually crawl in bed around 8p.m. on game day to get up at 2a.m. for puck drop but that’s not gonna happen tonight. Coffee and cigarettes man....

Reactions: shmotz

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Today is gonna be the longest day ever. I usually crawl in bed around 8p.m. on game day to get up at 2a.m. for puck drop but that’s not gonna happen tonight. Coffee and cigarettes man....

I am in a similar situation, assume you are Europe-based? It will be hard to nap before the game tonight and I know it will be hard to go to sleep after it's done!

Snake Plissken

Apr 23, 2019
I am in a similar situation, assume you are Europe-based? It will be hard to nap before the game tonight and I know it will be hard to go to sleep after it's done!
Yeah I’m in Germany. I’m not worried about afterwards. If we win I’m going straight to the pub as soon as they open at 11:30a.m.!!! Make it happen Boys!

Reactions: Reality Czech

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Good luck tonight to the Blues. We are all fans of these guys now.
The definition of a Cinderella team coming out of nowhere to challenge the best teams in the league.

:thumbu:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
tbV5Qzh.jpg

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Motherless Child keeps popping up around me so I went back to look at Not Necessarily the News and 4:20 into the premiere episode I noticed they addressed the G5 Noel Acciari controversy. (This is from the year 1982, the year Gloria was released.)

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Motherless Child keeps popping up around me so I went back to look at Not Necessarily the News and 4:20 into the premiere episode I noticed they addressed the G5 Noel Acciari controversy. (This is from the year 1982, the year Gloria was released.)

4:20

Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad