Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: 2015-16 ECF - Pittsburgh vs. Tampa Bay ‎

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Window is slammed shut. We won't sniff the 2nd round for a long time. Especially if you guys get your way and Cooper, Bishop, Callahan and Stamkos get shipped out of town.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Window is slammed shut. We won't sniff the 2nd round for a long time. Especially if you guys get your way and Cooper, Bishop, Callahan and Stamkos get shipped out of town.

Really... slammed shut?? We should have the majority of our core back. At least the core that matters. Possibly have some money to upgrade our team if Stamkos doesn't come back. I actually think our window is still wide open.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
People thought the Sharks and Penguins' windows were shut for years now...

The Pens made a couple key moves (Kessel, Hagelin, Bonino, Cullen, Fehr, Daley and so on) to bolster their lineup. Sharks though, yeah. A lot of people even questioned their ability to reach the post-season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

most think cant get rid of callahan for awhile

some like me think stamkos stays

no one i know NOT one fan wants bishop gone. You cannot protect two goalies in expansion they are not giving anyone that option

so than it boils into the money if is a way am sure steve yzerman would try to figure it out

cooper talk is stupid is not an upgrade available in first place so anyone saying fire cooper is kinda lost

bishop or vasy will get picked in expansion draft whichever we dont protect imho that is a given to me.

can complain and be mad but is reality not the coolest thing ever but if we can keep one and the rest of the core we remain competitive and solid

the heart of this team is large enough to over come losing any one player they proved that this season

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Jesus dude - drink more/less and chill out.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The "move" or "buy out" Callahan posts are annoying me and over the top, but whatever. He is not going anywhere this year or next year. 2018, is another story. Which is why I want him to have a bounce back season next year in "production" and be able to get all the opportunities to do so, and keep it up for the next two seasons so he stays beyond the 2018 season.

Cooper is not going anywhere either, and Bishop will have at least one more season, but there could be a crossroads, depending on Vasy's performance next season, who will likely be the 1B and not the #2 goalie, if that makes sense.

Stamkos right now is the biggest question mark, and the only way he stays is if he takes a discount, around 8.5 to 9.0 million. Yzerman is not going to pay him over 9 million, if he does, people will have a new contract to complain about around here. ;)

Yzerman has two big decisions to make, this year it is Stamkos, and next year will be Bishop.

Last edited:

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
The "move" or "buy out" Callahan posts are annoying me and over the top, but whatever. He is not going anywhere this year or next year. 2018, is another story. Which is why I want him to have a bounce back season next year in "production" and be able to get all the opportunities to do so, and keep it up for the next two seasons so he stays beyond the 2018 season.

Cooper is not going anywhere either, and Bishop will have at least one more season, but there could be a crossroads, depending on Vasy's performance next season, who will likely be the 1B and not the #2 goalie, if that makes sense.

Stamkos right now is the biggest question mark, and the only way he stays is if he takes a discount, around 8.5 to 9.0 million. Yzerman is not going to pay him over 9 million, if he does, people will have a new contract to complain about around here. ;)

Yzerman has two big decisions to make, this year it is Stamkos, and next year will be Bishop.

I think Cally's performance really has a lot to do with which line he is put on and what he is asked to do by Coop. He was less productive this year but also was not standing in front of the net on the PP and not in the top 6 either. On the other side of the coin the guy was a huge boost to the PK and I think impacted our shut down line (3rd) line in a positive way decreasing our goals against.

So his performance next year, IMHO, will be tied a lot to his role on the team. If he has the same role as this year I can't see much oppurtunity for his performance to increase.

I think the real issue is what he makes. Certainly not his fault, the Bolts also agreed to sign him at his current wage. Is he over paid for a 3rd liner? Absolutely! But so is Flip and I would trade Flip long before I traded Cally (and I own a Flip jersey!).

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Here's the river you cried

iliamna-lake-ak-splash.jpg

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

you are my friend so will try to be fair so you GET IT

There are no absolutes. NO ONE IS SAFE steve yzerman has said that. KUCHEROV is not guaranteed to be here NEITHER is hedman so thinking is no way callahan is moved our bought out is just wrong.

Is bigger decisions than just bishop or stamkos so I totally disagree

hedman and kucherov are probably the safest two guys on team right now. Yet if steve yzerman thought he could do better somehow and he could do it he would do it:)

Is low chance callahan moves or is bought out but there is a chance and it shouldnt bother you like this.

I am as big of a kucherov fan as you are callahan probably bigger in total imho at least

do i trade kucherov for subban or karlsson?

YES

would i be sad YES

does it help the team moving forward? imho yes so you do it

this is a business is no one conspiring against you or callahan

just like all the fans all over ohhhh my god cant move bishop

The NHL is not giving the option of protecting two goalies at this time. You dont even have option on last plan they are likely agreeing on.

I get everyone is still looking at last expansion and had option on last agreement to protect two goalies in all that ive read so far that option is not out there this time.

So we are probably going to lose a goalie. You take that for what it is and do the best possible you can:)

Our options are limited why you get talk pretty much on every player:) Some makes a lot of sense others make no sense. Still gonna be talked about.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
you are my friend so will try to be fair so you GET IT

There are no absolutes. NO ONE IS SAFE steve yzerman has said that. KUCHEROV is not guaranteed to be here NEITHER is hedman so thinking is no way callahan is moved our bought out is just wrong.

Is bigger decisions than just bishop or stamkos so I totally disagree

hedman and kucherov are probably the safest two guys on team right now. Yet if steve yzerman thought he could do better somehow and he could do it he would do it:)

Is low chance callahan moves or is bought out but there is a chance and it shouldnt bother you like this.

I am as big of a kucherov fan as you are callahan probably bigger in total imho at least

do i trade kucherov for subban or karlsson?

YES

would i be sad YES

does it help the team moving forward? imho yes so you do it

this is a business is no one conspiring against you or callahan

just like all the fans all over ohhhh my god cant move bishop

The NHL is not giving the option of protecting two goalies at this time. You dont even have option on last plan they are likely agreeing on.

I get everyone is still looking at last expansion and had option on last agreement to protect two goalies in all that ive read so far that option is not out there this time.

So we are probably going to lose a goalie. You take that for what it is and do the best possible you can:)

Our options are limited why you get talk pretty much on every player:) Some makes a lot of sense others make no sense. Still gonna be talked about.
Thunder buddy does not see the business side enough! In a perfect world would I love to sign Stamkos sure! But it has
To work for yzerman and the Tampa bay Lightning as well as Stamkos. It's not impossible Stevie moves Callahan torts loves him he very well could get traded to the blue jackets to open up
More cap space. Flipper could get dealt garrison could get dealt! It's the salary cap world we live in.
Stevie's core is Stamkos, Johnson, Kucherov, palat, vasy and hedman. The rest is pretty much in flux right now.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I think Stammer is gone. I just don't think that management will see the point in overpaying. I don't want him to leave though.

We can't win without Bish (Vasi is not ready yet), but he has been injured the last three seasons in a row. If he is injury prone, then we can't afford to keep him either.

Why on earth would we get rid of Kuch? We should let BOTH of our biggest goal scorers leave? We need more goal scorers, not less.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i grew up in michigan met magic johnson fell in love with basketball over hockey reffing in nba made me change my views quickly lol

but was fan of fab five loved webber

as he went from one injury to next to this shoulder that shoulder someone elses shoulder
it became for me at least to believe in the injury prone thing

i never accepted it much till webber had his struggles

i never say this guy missed 5-10-15 games a year he is injury prone

with bens size with how the nhl allows people to charge him i really do not believe he can stay all that healthy and at this point i believe he is going to get injured more often than not

biggest reason is people charge him unlike any goalie i can remember and league does absolutely nothing so far.

other goalies smaller goalies get those calls.

to me is why think he is most likely not to ever finish a full season maybe it hits at right time here and there though:)

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
i grew up in michigan met magic johnson fell in love with basketball over hockey reffing in nba made me change my views quickly lol

but was fan of fab five loved webber

as he went from one injury to next to this shoulder that shoulder someone elses shoulder
it became for me at least to believe in the injury prone thing

i never accepted it much till webber had his struggles

i never say this guy missed 5-10-15 games a year he is injury prone

with bens size with how the nhl allows people to charge him i really do not believe he can stay all that healthy and at this point i believe he is going to get injured more often than not

biggest reason is people charge him unlike any goalie i can remember and league does absolutely nothing so far.

other goalies smaller goalies get those calls.

to me is why think he is most likely not to ever finish a full season maybe it hits at right time here and there though:)

I am not sure if believing an athlete is injury prone is necessarily like believing in something like luck. There are some athletes who just get hurt a lot. Bish just happens to have gotten injuries at the worst times these past few years (immediately before or during the playoffs). Every time it has led to us exiting the playoffs. I am not saying it is his fault at all. The problem is if we depend on him being healthy to win in the playoffs, then how many years in a row do we keep just hoping that he stays healthy? I imagine that some of it is mental at this point with him and the team. Maybe Vasi should get a lot more games next season so he can be more ready as well going in to the playoffs.

I hope that I am wrong about Bish. I hope that Vasi can get better and that the team gets more comfortable about playing with either goalie behind them.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I am not sure if believing an athlete is injury prone is necessarily like believing in something like luck. There are some athletes who just get hurt a lot. Bish just happens to have gotten injuries at the worst times these past few years (immediately before or during the playoffs). Every time it has led to us exiting the playoffs. I am not saying it is his fault at all. The problem is if we depend on him being healthy to win in the playoffs, then how many years in a row do we keep just hoping that he stays healthy? I imagine that some of it is mental at this point with him and the team. Maybe Vasi should get a lot more games next season so he can be more ready as well going in to the playoffs.

I hope that I am wrong about Bish. I hope that Vasi can get better and that the team gets more comfortable about playing with either goalie behind them.

i was trying to relay that i have more concerns of bishop being RUN down than do on the last few injuries

the refs give everyone a free card on bishop if was quick or price they get charging calls so is ok

bishop doesnt get those calls therefore imho he will get the whacks hits injuries which will always be a part of his career.

this is a deeper concern for me than him hurting self so to speak

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL

I wonder if we literally played Bish and Vasi every other game if it would be enough playing time to keep them in rhythm and allow us to further evaluate if Vasi is ready to be the starter.

While it is a gamble we are not guaranteed to lose a Goalie in the expansion draft. There are a bunch of teams out there that have 2 good goalies. St Louis, NY Islanders, Dallas, Pitt come to might quickly.

I wonder if teams will sign certain players to NMC for the early part of their contracts to get around protecting more of their key players?

The expansion draft will be interesting because the new teams will need to both fill their rosters, AND fit into the cap window (assuming).

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I wonder if we literally played Bish and Vasi every other game if it would be enough playing time to keep them in rhythm and allow us to further evaluate if Vasi is ready to be the starter.

While it is a gamble we are not guaranteed to lose a Goalie in the expansion draft. There are a bunch of teams out there that have 2 good goalies. St Louis, NY Islanders, Dallas, Pitt come to might quickly.

I wonder if teams will sign certain players to NMC for the early part of their contracts to get around protecting more of their key players?

The expansion draft will be interesting because the new teams will need to both fill their rosters, AND fit into the cap window (assuming).

Fleury is not a good goalie and his contract is hideous. Pitt would protect Murray and gladly let a team take Fleury.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
His contract isn't that hideous compared to what goalies after him have signed for. IMO he's exactly what an expansion team should be going for. A solid guy who will get you through the regular season without eating a ton of your cap. Going exclusively for prospects like Vasi and throwing them to the wolves behind crappy expansion D is a recipe for ruining them.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
You know, as a Preds fan as well, I watched a lot of the Sharks in the West playoffs, and they have looked amazing and pretty unstoppable at times.

Yet they are down 2-0 now to the Pens and even though the games have been close, it might end up not being much of a series. So it has to really highlight how good the Lightning were, that a team minus Stamkos and Bishop were one goal away from OT in game 7... It really might have been the Bolts season if not for those injuries.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You know, as a Preds fan as well, I watched a lot of the Sharks in the West playoffs, and they have looked amazing and pretty unstoppable at times.

Yet they are down 2-0 now to the Pens and even though the games have been close, it might end up not being much of a series. So it has to really highlight how good the Lightning were, that a team minus Stamkos and Bishop were one goal away from OT in game 7... It really might have been the Bolts season if not for those injuries.

For me it really puts into perspective how difficult it is to win one and really makes me appreciate 04 that much more. A lot has to go right for your team. A lot has to not go wrong too. We have a good team here though, our window isn't closed just yet.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Yeah this year is going to turn out to be as painful as last year and 2011 if the sharks get beat in 4 or 5 games.

Damn Tim Thomas, Bishops groin and Stamkos' blood clot. We could be looking at 4 cups in 12 years. Imagine that.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
I'd put Johnson's wrist instead of Bishop's groin since he was the catalyst offensively for last year's run and the offense dried up for the most part when he got hurt. Bishop wasn't as good last year as he was this year.

I think the finals is showing how good Pittsburgh is. I'm frustrated about the last two games like everyone here but they had a lot to do with that.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
For me it really puts into perspective how difficult it is to win one and really makes me appreciate 04 that much more. A lot has to go right for your team. A lot has to not go wrong too. We have a good team here though, our window isn't closed just yet.

Its talent, work, a little luck, a little health, depth, and a lot of video watching/drinking. It is insanely hard to win a cup. Nobody appreciates that. You have at least 16 games of just beating the tar out of four different teams, and I don't know the last time (or ever) someone ran the table and swept all four teams, so things just got that much harder. That is why it is so fun, that is why it is beautiful.

Whatever this "window" is you guys are on about is wrong. We're just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad