Confirmed with Link: Sergey Zborovskiy signed to ELC

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's eventually going to be the player that the Rangers hoped McIlrath would be. I'm not sure that type of player is worthy of a first round pick, so I think the Rangers just made a big philosophical mistake when they picked McIlrath 10th, but I think there's a good chance Zborovskiy will be a shutdown top 4D.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think he's eventually going to be the player that the Rangers hoped McIlrath would be. I'm not sure that type of player is worthy of a first round pick, so I think the Rangers just made a big philosophical mistake when they picked McIlrath 10th, but I think there's a good chance Zborovskiy will be a shutdown top 4D.

How much time would he need in AHL?

To be honest this time last year i didn't think much of him but he's got everyone's attention now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How much time would he need in AHL?

To be honest this time last year i didn't think much of him but he's got everyone's attention now.

He's not really a project defenseman, so I would think he'd be NHL ready faster than most players. I said in the prospect thread I wouldn't even rule out him starting in the NHL next season, considering what his position is. There are players from his draft and his age that are playing in the NHL already, and some that will next season.

Probably 1 AHL season max. If it takes more than that, the Rangers have acquired great RHD depth between now and then or he's not very good. This isn't like Ryan Graves having to learn how to play defense. Zborovskiy was playing better defense at the prospect camp than Gilmour who some people here wanted to start the season in the NHL after a good preseason. The Rangers aren't dumb. Some people said it was a huge reach taking him in the 3rd, their pick is looking like a smart selection.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Zboro moves very well laterally, but for many kids -- and Zboro is no exception -- you need to physically grow into your body to really get the edge work and acceleration in place.

Does anyone remember McDs first games in NY? He had to scramble on many occasions and did well, but the game was really really fast for him. He gradually after a lot of work during at least a couple of years fully caught up with the speed at the NHL level.

Just going to the AHL is a very big step for a Zboro compared to the WHL.

I think normally a kid like Zboro needs a few years of pro hockey to really grow into his body and handle the skating part, edge work, acceleration etc, as good as the kid possibly can. In other words, if anyone makes it to the NHL before having reached their potential in these areas, they are going to be pretty spectacular when they do if you get what I mean?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The increase in speed and physicality from junior hockey to the pro game, the NHL in particular, is absolutely immense. Zborovskiy isn't a speedster, but more a guy who relies on positioning and reach. His size will no longer be an advantage when he turns pro. I would imagine he'd need a season or two to adjust to the speed of the professional game and to finish growing into his frame. Who knows, though--he could surprise.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
+37 in 21 games. Almost a +2 average per game. That's ****ing ridiculous.

Must have been fun last night for Zborovskiy but you have to look at that game as a real outlier--a once in a lifetime. I don't really know what kind of season Prince Albert is having but both their defending and goaltending was awful.

I doubt Sergei is really going to push for a job on the Rangers blueline next year. I have him pegged for Hartford on the third pairing. He is a good B to B+ level prospect though and for a pick that really got panned I like him better than Gropp or Halverson who were both 2nd rounders. I would think he's at least two years away.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hidden gem. I've liked him since draft day.

righty shot with good projectable size. skates well enough for a 6'4 guy. huge reach.

his game is understated and primarily plays defense first but he's skilled. won't dazzle you but he also won't make many mistakes. positionally he's very good and game he plays seems to come naturally to him. he's the kind of dman a coach can trust in all situations. very good at reading plays- when to pinch and when to push.

once he gains more confidence- and unlike some primarily defensive guys when they are young, this kid has the talent to play a more offensive role. he's physical and has an edge but he's got ability to play past the red line.

agreed with others and I've said it myself, he's gonna be a more talented, smoother skating, smarter and more skilled mcilrath.

or another way of putting it, he will be a defensively responsible 2 way nhl defenseman.

hell need 1 year in hartford.

well see him in ny the year after next perhaps sooner.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brandon Carlo who was from his draft and projects very similarly is already playing in the NHL, and playing very well.

The reason McIlrath took so long to get to the NHL was injuries and not being that good, not because he was such a project who would need so much longer in the AHL than others.

Zborovskiy is not a project just because he's 6'4. He has adjustments to make, but everyone does. Thats not to say he will play in the NHL next year, but I doubt he'd need more than one AHL season, if he's actually good. Given our lack of RHD depth, I wouldn't count out that he could make the team.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well we're need RJ defensemen right now, but no one knows what the team will look like by the start of next season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
How would you compare Zboro's skating to Dylan's? Similar? Zboro touch faster?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He plays on a stacked team. 5 out of 6 defensemen on his team are close to a PPG.

It's great experience for him, I'm glad he's getting it. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the pros.

I'll be keeping an eye on him at the World Juniors. Alexei Marchenko is the best Russian RHD at the moment, it's not like the bar is super high if he wants to be on the national team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yes, a touch faster. He's not fast, but for 6'4 200, he's not a log, like McIlrath. Maybe similar skating ability to someone like Holden.

He plays on a stacked team. 5 out of 6 defensemen on his team are close to a PPG.

It's great experience for him, I'm glad he's getting it. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the pros.

I'll be keeping an eye on him at the World Juniors. Alexei Marchenko is the best Russian RHD at the moment, it's not like the bar is super high if he wants to be on the national team.

I think Zaitsev is better than Marchenko.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
One only has to be in the vicinity of Adam Brooks and Sam Steel in order to get points and bump up their +/- rating. Brooks is best in WHL for PPG @ 2.37, and Steel is 2nd @ 2.10 PPG. 3rd place is Barzal @ 1.73. That shows how good Brooks & Steel are @ the WHL level.

Don't get me wrong, Zboro is doing well...but like Mikos said, Regina is pretty stacked. Zboro's own pairing partner (Chase Harrison) is also having a fantastic year.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Zboro is also very calm when he has possession of the puck. He'll use his long reach to keep the puck away from opposing players and make a better play than someone like Girardi would. Zboro won't treat the puck like a grenade. He's able to make more cerebral decisions...at least at the WHL level anyway.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

i have watched a few complete regina games recently and saw quite a few last season as well.

i have a buddy- best man at my kid brothers wedding actually, who works for the WHL and get bits and pieces from him when we talk. he was the one who had good things to say about mcilrath on draft day like:

"great kid" "solid citizen" and "tough as nails" and also this classic, "not the most skilled guy on the ice when skating and thinking is required" :laugh:

as far as zboro goes, his skating isnt a problem at all and just as good with the puck. he turns the hips well- he swivels effortlessly, can move in and out, walk the puck and shows good gap control. he's fluid and stable. he's calm and controlled so he never looks like he's hurrying things. no panic at all. he's not heavy on his feet and he shows flashes of both attack and recovery. mcilrath, for all his defenders, wasnt nearly as good a skater imo.

his skating isnt an issue what so ever. for a 6'4 guy- who looks it, his wheels are what you would expect from a russian kid who's been skating for ever.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's always nice when a steady defensemen adds some offense to his game. Time will tell if this is is really another level in his development, or just a benefit of playing on such a high-scoring, powerhouse team.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hes a product of a strong team this year. that whole defense pushes the puck.

when I've seen him play on tv, he looks the part. joins the rush and very good down low. has surprisingly good hands. seems to know where to go and where to be. his hot looks low and hard too.

love that righty shot too.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
As long as Zboro can maintain average mobility, move the puck out of the d-zone, and break up plays with a good defensive stick and reach, that's perfect for a 3rd round pick.

Edit: and translate this to the NHL level. Even if he's a 5D, quality contributions on ELCs are always valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad