Sergei Kostitsyn?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
If this is true (Andre Savard wanting Sergei at 2nd round...), then maybe this is one reason (not all but one) that Savard left the HABS? : he felt ignored by Gainey...? Anyways...I don't want to start anything !!
05).

Actually, Savard admitted in a La Presse interview (I think it was at the beginning of the 06-07 season) that the lack of trust from the Habs management was the #1 reason why he left. He felt that Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier didn't care anymore about his opinions, so when his friend Michel Therrien offered him to join the Pens organization in an assistant coach position, he quickly made up his mind about leaving the Habs.

pouskin74*

sergey kostitsyn is rubbish player. nhl dosnt need a player from europe for a 3 or 4 line!

GNick42

Sergei isn't small...at 6' 200 lbs and 20 years old....if management deems him ready...

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
If this is true (Andre Savard wanting Sergei at 2nd round...), then maybe this is one reason (not all but one) that Savard left the HABS? : he felt ignored by Gainey...? Anyways...I don't want to start anything !!

I recall hearing - no idea where - that the Habs were able to make all of their selections in the 2005 draft from the top 75 or 100 guys on their list. So, I'm not all that surprised that we went for Sergei in the 7th round... really, when you think of it, if we had him rated in the 2nd round, that could be anywhere from 30-60 on our list... if it's towards the 60-ish end of that spectrum, then we'd have had to wait to pick him because we had others higher on our list still available to us.

Regardless, Savard was good to our prospect pool and Sergei will hopefully be a productive Hab for a long time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I recall hearing - no idea where - that the Habs were able to make all of their selections in the 2005 draft from the top 75 or 100 guys on their list. So, I'm not all that surprised that we went for Sergei in the 7th round... really, when you think of it, if we had him rated in the 2nd round, that could be anywhere from 30-60 on our list... if it's towards the 60-ish end of that spectrum, then we'd have had to wait to pick him because we had others higher on our list still available to us.

Regardless, Savard was good to our prospect pool and Sergei will hopefully be a productive Hab for a long time.

All the players they drafted in '05 were picked off their top 70. I believe that Philippe Paquet they had on their list around 70th but ended up getting him at 229th overall as their final pick.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
lol,

Mr.Hab..I always wanted to ask you..why do you always bold certain things in your post? lol

Ha ha!!

Simply put...I'm a little weird, maybe?!! (weird with the bold thing!!).

Or..., I'm just a bold guy!!

Seriously...I think (or maybe I know it?!) that I do it to put more emphasis on what is important (or what I think is important!), and...I always over do it!! (see!! I just did it again!!).
Also, I think I do it when I write too much and feel like no one will bother to read it so I might as well bold the few important details!!!! ha ha!!

In the end...I'm probably just a little weird with the bold thing!!;) :p:

I may need help if this continues!!:help: :p:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Quote:Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
05).
--------------- ------------------

Actually, Savard admitted in a La Presse interview (I think it was at the beginning of the 06-07 season) that the lack of trust from the Habs management was the #1 reason why he left. He felt that Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier didn't care anymore about his opinions, so when his friend Michel Therrien offered him to join the Pens organization in an assistant coach position, he quickly made up his mind about leaving the Habs.

Maybe this was an example of SAvard not feeling the trust from Bob et compagnie?
(example: maybe Savard felt ignored when he would say things like, "we should really go after Sergei Kostitsyn in the 2nd or 3rd Round..." and Bob et compagnie would just finally select him in the 7th round...

No? (the above was just ONE exmaple! one out of many examples, possible scenarios...we'll never know for sure, unless...you're related to Savard or Gainey!!).

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Sergei isn't small...at 6' 200 lbs and 20 years old....if management deems him ready...

200lbs is a generous listing. He's not a big guy, I wouldn't call him small either. Damn I really love his game. i don't see any glaring weakness and I could really see him being the kind of player that comes up with timely goals and plays in clutch situations. Here's hoping to a bright future for him.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
The best brother duo since...??

The Sedin brothers?

(and if Andrei and Sergei play on the same line I really feel that they will complement each other so well...it's also perfect 'cause Andrei is a RW & Sergei is a LW...).

Same as previous post...here's to hoping he has a great & long career as a HAB:handclap:

p.s.: I love the "love" that Sergei is getting from Hab and non-Hab fans...
btw...Sergei is listed as 5'11, 183Lbs, but...maybe he has gained weight + an inch in height?

Knight444

Apr 17, 2007
From a Knights fan:

The Good: Sergei Kostitsyn is the best two-way forward on the London Knights this year. He's a fluid skater with a deceptively quick release on his wrist shot, he's also almost a lock on breakaways. One of the aspects that is often most overlooked with Sergei is his balance. The kid has thrown some of the best open ice checks in the OHL this year, including a punishing check on Downie earlier this year. You can see that check here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng_tBYeb7U

Sergei plays on the penalty kill, and from time to time, has even been known to get down and block a shot. He has a good nose for his own end, and the strength and speed to be a quality backchecker.

The Bad: 'Billy,' as is his nickname, doesn't work in traffic as well or as often as a guy with his balance and size should. He tends to be more of a perimeter player than a guy who will drive to the net with the puck. He also tends to disappear for periods of time throughout the year. While his numbers look okay during the playoffs, he has been reasonably ineffective for the Knights with the exception of a period here or there. Sergei is also rarely the first man on the forecheck, preferring to act as the trailer.

Because he's likely to make the NHL as first or second liner, I would imagine he is still 2.5 to 3 years away while he works on adapting to the speed of pro level hockey, and learns to use his body better to work along the walls, and while driving the puck to the net.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
He didn't really have all that great of a season in the EEHL during his draft year. He had 4 goals in 40 games with Gomel. At the U-20's that year he was held pointless, that was the year Belarus beat USA. He did have a good U-18's that year but it was in division 1.

although he was held pointeless at the U20's, him and Andrei pretty much were the team for Belarus that year. I remember watching them upset USA and i was very impressed with both the brothers. When i saw that game, i thought for sure Siarhei would be considered a top prospect during his draft year (he was only 16 at this time)

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
although he was held pointeless at the U20's, him and Andrei pretty much were the team for Belarus that year. I remember watching them upset USA and i was very impressed with both the brothers. When i saw that game, i thought for sure Siarhei would be considered a top prospect during his draft year (he was only 16 at this time)

Yeah I remember watching that game and being surprised at what a fiesty little ******* he was. I recall he was slashing and cross-checking everything in sight.

Andrei on the other hand looked like he was playing against 6 year-olds.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
From a Knights fan:

The Good: Sergei Kostitsyn is the best two-way forward on the London Knights this year. He's a fluid skater with a deceptively quick release on his wrist shot, he's also almost a lock on breakaways. One of the aspects that is often most overlooked with Sergei is his balance. The kid has thrown some of the best open ice checks in the OHL this year, including a punishing check on Downie earlier this year. You can see that check here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng_tBYeb7U

Sergei plays on the penalty kill, and from time to time, has even been known to get down and block a shot. He has a good nose for his own end, and the strength and speed to be a quality backchecker.

The Bad: 'Billy,' as is his nickname, doesn't work in traffic as well or as often as a guy with his balance and size should. He tends to be more of a perimeter player than a guy who will drive to the net with the puck. He also tends to disappear for periods of time throughout the year. While his numbers look okay during the playoffs, he has been reasonably ineffective for the Knights with the exception of a period here or there. Sergei is also rarely the first man on the forecheck, preferring to act as the trailer.

Because he's likely to make the NHL as first or second liner, I would imagine he is still 2.5 to 3 years away while he works on adapting to the speed of pro level hockey, and learns to use his body better to work along the walls, and while driving the puck to the net.

thanks for your input...2.5-3 yrs away? Gosh darnit...I was hoping more like a year, a year and a half away;) . Wishful thinking on my part...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad