Sergei Kostitsyn?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's got good offensive skills, moves the puck well a very good setup guy but he has has a great wrist shot. Works hard at both ends of the rink, is willing to take the body and throw some big hits. Has good lower body strength which gives him leverage to throw those hits.

I don't know where his upside is per say as I want to wait and see how he handles the next level, which we could see soon as London has gotten shelled at home by Plymouth, so we could see Kostitsyn in Hamilton soon if the Knights don't turn things around and if Hamilton can put together some wins against Rochester.

I happen to think very highly of Kostitsyn, I think he's one of the Habs top forward prospects, there aren't many holes in his game aside from needing to get stronger. Unlike his brother he has shown from day 1 a willingness to work hard and get his nose dirty, something his brother hasn't consistently done.

I'd like to see him shoot more though, he seems to look to pass first, which is fine but with his shot, I think that they should work with him to shoot more when he turns pro.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
its obvious that he has great talent. my question is why did he get picked so late in the 05 draft????

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
its obvious that he has great talent. my question is why did he get picked so late in the 05 draft????

I'm guessing he didn't get a whole lot of attention from the scouting community in the Belarus hockey league he played in his draft year. However, I remember reading that André Savard had Sergei rated as a 2nd rounder. Getting him at 200th overall was probably unexpected for the Habs scouting staff.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
I just saw Kostitsyn for the first time this weekend and what surprised me is that, beyond being skilled, he's a major agitator. Hadn't heard that about him before (maybe I just wasn't paying attention). He was in the middle of just about every little scrum that materialized during the game at Plymouth. He slashed guys behind the play a time or two. Etc, etc.

Given his offensive abilities, this edge is going to add to his NHL value, IMO.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
are you habs fans hoping for a duo ala the sedins??

In fact we are hoping for a trio! With Grabovski centering the 2 brothers. (The Belarus line) It will take 2-3 years before it might happen. This summer being crucial in Grabo + Sergei future.(Strenght training) Grabovski might make the team sometime next season or even out of camp if he plays well.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I just saw Kostitsyn for the first time this weekend and what surprised me is that, beyond being skilled, he's a major agitator. Hadn't heard that about him before (maybe I just wasn't paying attention). He was in the middle of just about every little scrum that materialized during the game at Plymouth. He slashed guys behind the play a time or two. Etc, etc.

Yeah if he can control it, mostly he's going on raw emotion when he does this stuff and it's not an attempt to get the other team off their game, but an attempt to get selfish payback/blow off frusterations.

No doubt he plays with physical edge though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

He didn't really have all that great of a season in the EEHL during his draft year. He had 4 goals in 40 games with Gomel. At the U-20's that year he was held pointless, that was the year Belarus beat USA. He did have a good U-18's that year but it was in division 1.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

agreed. He may not be the biggest guy and he looks like he's 15 years old, but he's one tough kid.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Sergei Kostitsyn is one of the most complete player in the CHL right now !! He is sooo dominant it's not even funny !!

I can't wait to see him turn pro after the elimination of the poor London Knights.

He has all the tools to be a Star player in the NHL: skating, grit, hustle, work ethic, leadership, offensive awareness, defensive awarenes, stickhandling, passings skills, vision, aggressivity, shots and the most surprising.... HE LOVES TO HIT !!!! I mean he has it all !! His style reminds me of a mix between Brandon Morrow and Erik Cole. This guy play's a N-A hockey style and it will benefit him in the PRO's. A bit Less skilled than his older brother Andrei, but he compensate with everything else !!

He is a bit on the skinny side, but he will be bigger and stronger when he'll be in the NHL, nothing to worry about.

I was hoping that my Ottawa Senetors drafted him in 2005 !! I can't believe that he was drafted 200th overall..... Shichhh !! :amazed: :cry: :rant:

The fact that he played in an unknown weak Belorussian league in his draft year hurt alot his stock, because not alot people were scouting him I think....

With all that said, he was still ranked 18th Europeen player in this 2005 draft class by the CSS. So he was still projected to go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round...

The fact that he slipped to the 7th round is still a big Mystery... :help:

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankings/2005final/euroskaters.pdf

Lucky habs fans....... :rant:

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
^^ Awesome, finally someone not a Habs fan that is a HUGE S. Kostitsyn fan. 'Course, I haven't talked to any non-habs fans about him. But I'm glad to see it isn't a result of pure homerism..

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i like sergei a lot to. not a big fan of andrei, but lets not get into that again. i dont see how sergei can "bust". allthough you dont exactly bust when you are picked in round 7. anyway, even if he's offensive game doesnt translate to the pro's he will still be a very usefull 3/4th liner.

Transported Upstater

^^ Awesome, finally someone not a Habs fan that is a HUGE S. Kostitsyn fan. 'Course, I haven't talked to any non-habs fans about him. But I'm glad to see it isn't a result of pure homerism..

Count me in too.

I love the way the kid plays.

mister lerock

Jul 30, 2005
i love his game but i dont know if his game wil translate better in the nhl.I presonally think his upside is a gritty 2 nd liner with 20-25 goals and 30-40 assits but i really want to see him succeed.i love his willilgneess and competveness

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
wrist shot is good- usually unleashes it from the point....his release is pretty slow though- you can see it coming from a mile away- but its hard and accurate.

he is not exceptional in any area...but he doesnt lack anything either. i like his game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
i like sergei a lot to. not a big fan of andrei, but lets not get into that again. i dont see how sergei can "bust". allthough you dont exactly bust when you are picked in round 7. anyway, even if he's offensive game doesnt translate to the pro's he will still be a very usefull 3/4th liner.

You probably have your reason to dislike Andrei, and that's fine. But what I'm excited about is that they are two different players with different styles that will probably compliment each other well. Andrei's two-way game has improved since his first stint, thanks a lot to Don Lever. Sergei already has the two-way game under control, while Grabovsky is pretty much pure offence. I think it will be a very exciting future line in Montreal. Not a 1st line, but definitely a good 2nd. I really hope the trio get a shot in the preseason, as Sergei didn't even get one exhibition game last year. If their chemistry is as good as they say, then maybe all 3 can make it next year, though doubtful.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I had heard what he could do offensively. However, the first thing I noticed when watching him play was his physical side and the fact he had a bit of a mean streak. He likes cutting to the net and roughing it up in the corners. He's the antithesis of the european player stereotype.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm guessing he didn't get a whole lot of attention from the scouting community in the Belarus hockey league he played in his draft year. However, I remember reading that André Savard had Sergei rated as a 2nd rounder. Getting him at 200th overall was probably unexpected for the Habs scouting staff.

If this is true (Andre Savard wanting Sergei at 2nd round...), then maybe this is one reason (not all but one) that Savard left the HABS? : he felt ignored by Gainey...? Anyways...I don't want to start anything !!

I still don't understand why the HABS didn't select him a lot earlier? (Habs are so lucky that he was still available, and I'm still scratching my head on that one...).

Savard did a great job while he was with us (scouted Komisarek, Higgins...for us before the Drafts, etc...).

Sergei might be (by far) the steal of that Draft year (2005).

I'm amazed too that no GM chose Sergei in the 2nd (or at worst in the 3rd Round).
I'm dumbfounded!! (is that the expression?!!).

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
IMO he will at least be a Peter Schaefer.

Schaefer...Sergei Kostitsyn (I guess for now I'll go with that comparison, since I can't think of any others...for now!!).

Marian Hossa > Andrei Kostitsyn > Marcel Hossa

(what do you think of that comparison?! A Kosts' MAJOR upside will be sometimes close to a Marian Hossa, and his MAJOR downside will still be better than that of a Marcel Hossa...fair enough?!).

Alright...enough of my comparisons:p:!! We'll just have to wait and see!!

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Sergei Kostitsyn is one of the most complete player in the CHL right now !! He is sooo dominant it's not even funny !!

I can't wait to see him turn pro after the elimination of the poor London Knights.

He has all the tools to be a Star player in the NHL: skating, grit, hustle, work ethic, leadership, offensive awareness, defensive awarenes, stickhandling, passings skills, vision, aggressivity, shots and the most surprising.... HE LOVES TO HIT !!!! I mean he has it all !! His style reminds me of a mix between Brandon Morrow and Erik Cole. This guy play's a N-A hockey style and it will benefit him in the PRO's. A bit Less skilled than his older brother Andrei, but he compensate with everything else !!

He is a bit on the skinny side, but he will be bigger and stronger when he'll be in the NHL, nothing to worry about.

I was hoping that my Ottawa Senetors drafted him in 2005 !! I can't believe that he was drafted 200th overall..... Shichhh !! :amazed: :cry: :rant:

The fact that he played in an unknown weak Belorussian league in his draft year hurt alot his stock, because not alot people were scouting him I think....

With all that said, he was still ranked 18th Europeen player in this 2005 draft class by the CSS. So he was still projected to go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round...

The fact that he slipped to the 7th round is still a big Mystery... :help: http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankings/2005final/euroskaters.pdf

Lucky habs fans....... :rant:

Brenden Morrow...Erik Cole...WOW!! Nice comparisons!! I'd even settle for the Peter Schaefer comparison anyday from a previous post!!

Why Sergei was chosen 7th Round?...It's a mystery to me, too!!
And, don't worry...your Ottawa team has always managed to find gems in the Draft. Same goes for Detroit...
This is one of the rare times that the Habs have managed to get a gem in the 7th round.

It was nice to hear good things about Sergei!, especially that you're not a homer/Montrealer like me!! (so no bias!!). I guess or can I assume you're not far from London, Ontario...this way you've had the chance to see Sergei Kosts, Gagner, Kane, etc...(lucky you! if that's the case!!).

To be honest...I'm hoping that Sergei ends up a consistent/2 way/gritty 2nd liner (if he'll one day be a 1st line player then...huge bonus!! downside...: maybe a solid 3rd liner?).

A year (or less?!) from now?...2nd line: Sergei Kosts - Grabovski - Andrei Kosts (the Belarus line!!).

I also hope he adds some or a bit of weight (not hat concerned though!), so he can one day be 195-200lbs, instead of 183 lbs?, and he's 5'11? (or maybe now he's 6'0...?).

Anyways...

Cheers!!

p.s.: for Hab fans' info...!! For now, the 2005 Draft looks good for the Habs...Carey Price (1st Round), Guillaume Latendresse (2nd Round), Sergei Kostitsyn (7th Round), and Matt D'Agostini (6th Round).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad