Sergei Gonchar

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Can't complain that's for sure. Was worth making the move to get him and even if he is gone after this season he brought some stability and experience that was needed.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
If Beaulieu continues his development curve like he is right now with Gonchar, this trade would have been a severely underrated one.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Anyone else feel like he's starting to hit a wall physically? Not completely unexpected given his age. Can we rely on him in the playoffs?

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Everyone assumes Gonchar is gone after this season but why not make him an offer of $1M or something as an insurance policy? Also he'd be great to continue mentoring younger guys like Tinordi and Pateryn.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Everyone assumes Gonchar is gone after this season but why not make him an offer of $1M or something as an insurance policy? Also he'd be great to continue mentoring younger guys like Tinordi and Pateryn.
Just, I would already have 8D if I got my wishes. Hence no room.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

... but if we failed to land Petry or any other significant enough top-4 guy, or found a solid deal for Gilbert, then sure, $1M for Gonchar as depth would be fine.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Rather pay him to coach the D. Even Markov defers to him.

He's no Markov and never was, but he was a slick offensive guy. You could always take him out of any game with some early hits tho. Too old now obviously. No way he could keep up in a game like this. Curious why he can't help our powerplay as a player or coach.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He's no Markov and never was...

That's right, for most of their career overlap Gonchar would have been considered an upgrade on Markov - certainly right up to the very end of his Pittsburgh days at the very least.

In any event, if he felt good to go next fall, and if I could sign him to less than Mike Weaver money to be the Mike Weaver of the defensive depth chart/insurance policies instead of Mike Weaver, I probably would. Can't expect a full season out of him anymore though, that's for sure.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
He's no Markov and never was, but he was a slick offensive guy. You could always take him out of any game with some early hits tho. Too old now obviously. No way he could keep up in a game like this. Curious why he can't help our powerplay as a player or coach.

I don't know about that. He was a gamer in the playoffs for the most part, and that rarely leaves you no matter what age. I think Beau played a hell of a lot better when he was paired with him, and they were getting 20 a game not 14 or so that beau was getting last night. I didn't like last night because it felt like game 47 instead of PO game 2 after a major media poop storm and bad blood rising. Very much a regular piss on certain guys time kinda game. Also don't know how our PP could be much worse if Gonchar was on the second. Regardless of the goal, there was a time we would bury you if you game us that many PP. Habs were lucky to win given how many chances that crapped away during the powerplay

Sword

May 26, 2014
Has anyone heard anything about Gonch?

They mentioned he had family related problems last night on RDS I think, I might have misheard though, cause I wasn't paying too much attention to the TV.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
coming baaack as innn?? next year? because i dont see that happening

coming back for this years playoff run?

i dont see that happening either as were playing 6 dmen withOUT beaulieu

thx for the help sergei tho :D

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Doubt we see him in the playoffs unless there is a rash of injuries.

He is too slow to play against teams like the Bolts and the Rangers.

He was not physical enough to play against a team like the Sens.

He did well during his stint with the Habs in the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad