Sergei Gonchar

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I expected Sergei to give us some decent hockey when we acquired him but he far surpassed all expectations I had with him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I hope he is not worn down come playoff time. He has been a pleasant surprise

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Rock-solid. Great for Beaulieu's development. Slow as molasses, but at least he knows it and plays a conservative game.

Nice trade, Bergy.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Perfect mentor for Beaulieu. Really everything that the kid needed. Someone that he could respect and teach him on and off the ice, because the raw talent is unbelievable on Nate.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He's the best thing that's ever happened to Beaulieu's career, put it right back on track because he gives him that extra half a second to react.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
He has been great but lately his ice time has been reduced is he playing hurt and being protected against over use? cause he was getting 20 min a night and he ain't getting near that lately...

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
He has been great but lately his ice time has been reduced is he playing hurt and being protected against over use? cause he was getting 20 min a night and he ain't getting near that lately...

He is probably banged up and we can't over use him if we have to count on him come playoff time, so we have to manage his ice-time.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
HUGE fan of the father-son defensive pairing thing with rookies and swan song hall of famers

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Same here, I never thought of him as such a smart D-man. But he really is. Maybe it's the experience.

I'm sure experience plays a role.

But he really understands his limitations at this stage of his career and he was smart enough to evolve.

A younger gonchar took more chances, and up until a few years ago, I thought of him as borderline careless. But his legs no longer allow him to play that type of game anymore even if he wanted to.

Much like Markov, when gonchar has the puck on his stick, he just has a knack of making the right decision time and time again, whether he is under pressure or not.

The big question, as has already been stated in this thread, how much more gas is left? Can we get a potential playoff run out of him?

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Unsung hero of our season. Stable veteran presence who does not look out of place playing ~20 minutes a night. It's just too bad his offensive game isn't what it once was. Feel like he's focusing more on defence as his skills/speed erode, which is ok with me.

Hackett makes a solid point about how much he has left for a playoff run. Personally would like to see us sit him more often and put Weaves in, to give him some breathers. Markov wore down as the playoffs went by last year - not a stretch to think an older Gonchar would find the same fate.

Why did you have to make those memories come back...

Christ. Chris Campoli is easily the worst regular defenceman, MAB/Patrice Brisebois 2.0 included, to play for this team in the last 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad