News Article: Sergei Gonchar to KHL?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Damn, would love to have traded the negotiating rights to Gonchar. Oh well, he turned out to be a teriffic signing (Minus the first year) for the Murray Brothers.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
They would be worth nothing anyways

This year I see guys like Gonchars negotiating rights being easily traded. Too many teams need to add cheap/cut salary drastically so being able to sign someone at below market price may be worth it for a few organizations. Giving up 7th round draftpicks to potentially discuss a deal for some players does not seem out of the question. This may be one of the few years where I would be okay if the Murrays pulled off a negotiating rights trade.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This year I see guys like Gonchars negotiating rights being easily traded. Too many teams need to add cheap/cut salary drastically so being able to sign someone at below market price may be worth it for a few organizations. Giving up 7th round draftpicks to potentially discuss a deal for some players does not seem out of the question. This may be one of the few years where I would be okay if the Murrays pulled off a negotiating rights trade.

Gonchar wouldn't be a cheap cut salary though. And why would teams needing cheap/cut salary want to trade for the rights to a player that will cost 4+ million

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Gonchar wouldn't be a cheap cut salary though. And why would teams needing cheap/cut salary want to trade for the rights to a player that will cost 4+ million

Cheap considering what he mights get as UFA. IE: If you sign Parise at five million dollars, its considered cheap. Some teams may evaluate Gonchar as a 4.5 million dollar player and may get him signed for four million dollars as an example

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Problem with Streit is the winning bid will be like the Gonchar contract. 3 years @ 5.5 million probably.

That's way too high.

I personally wouldn't sign him for anything above 2 @ 5 per.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Problem with Streit is the winning bid will be like the Gonchar contract. 3 years @ 5.5 million probably.

That's way too high.

I'd be okay paying that price, we have the $ and arent close to the cap. The cap historically rises too so this would be the year to sign UFA's. Look at the contracts signed at the first lockout, they look like deals now

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Does Ottawa even need to replace Gonchar? They have Karlsson, Methot, Phillips, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch & Boroweicki, Ceci, Sdao & Rutkowski in Bingo. They could always bring back Benoit for depth if he doesn't mind sitting in the stands most nights. I would like to see what those guys can do rather than bring in another guy like Lundin who doesn't play. Of course, if Murray can make a deal & bring in another guy with the impact of Methot I'd be all for that.

At some point next season likely near the trade deadline, I think the defence will look like this:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Phillips

Emerica

May 29, 2010

That's way too high.

So 5.5 is way too high but 5 is alright?

I'd be okay with a 1-2 year deal for Streit at 5.5 but that's pretty much it.

Milan the God*

So 5.5 is way too high but 5 is alright?

I'd be okay with a 1-2 year deal for Streit at 5.5 but that's pretty much it.

I think he's more referring to the term than the price tag.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I'd be okay paying that price, we have the $ and arent close to the cap. The cap historically rises too so this would be the year to sign UFA's. Look at the contracts signed at the first lockout, they look like deals now
Ugh, the cap will not be rising...

Have you paid attention to the new CBA?

And yes, I am referring to term. The difference between 2 and 3 years can be pretty high.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Does Ottawa even need to replace Gonchar? They have Karlsson, Methot, Phillips, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch & Boroweicki, Ceci, Sdao & Rutkowski in Bingo. They could always bring back Benoit for depth if he doesn't mind sitting in the stands most nights. I would like to see what those guys can do rather than bring in another guy like Lundin who doesn't play. Of course, if Murray can make a deal & bring in another guy with the impact of Methot I'd be all for that.

At some point next season likely near the trade deadline, I think the defence will look like this:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Phillips
Ceci is not close to being an NHLer. Let alone a top 4.

At minimum, he needs a year of development in the AHL. At minimum.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
How realistic is Ceci filling in next season? I haven't followed him much, is he good enough to step in?

Edit: NVM, Manked answered above.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
How realistic is Ceci filling in next season? I haven't followed him much, is he good enough to step in?

Edit: NVM, Manked answered above.
I know you saw my response, but in addition I'd like to clarify.

I have high hopes for Cody Ceci. That said, this year (67s/Attach/Bingo) wasn't an overwhelmingly amazing year for him. Not enough to let him become an NHLer without playing in the AHL first. All of our prospects have needed seasoning in the AHL, so there is no way Cody Ceci is fast-stracked to the NHL quicker than Erik Karlsson, Jared Cowen, etc.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Ugh, the cap will not be rising...

Have you paid attention to the new CBA?

And yes, I am referring to term. The difference between 2 and 3 years can be pretty high.

The cap goes down next year, we all know that and that is what teams need to make sure they are in the range with, but there will be growth after that in subsequent years. Revenues keep rising my friend.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
$7 million offers from the KHL aren't always what they seem. To use a current phrase, that league is pretty "sketch". Plenty of guys have seen their contracts over there unilaterally changed or terminated at the whim of the team. If they don't like how you are playing, they simply cut your pay or send you packing, contract or no contract. No doubt, though, that this will strengthen the resolve of Gonchar's agent to get a two year NHL offer as opposed to a one year deal.

I know they do shady stuff like that, even with Benoit, but Gonchar is pretty much a Russian hockey legend. I think they would bend over backwards to accomodate him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm okay with it, thanks for everything Gonchar.

I am shocked about how many people are ok with losing debatably the teams mvp this season.

Da Costa. Wouldn't pay a lot for Boyle.

#dreamworld

Would cost a first round pick + at the very minimum probably a lot more. All star defensemen don't grown on tree's no matter how older they are, no way San Jose lets him go.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
I know you saw my response, but in addition I'd like to clarify.

I have high hopes for Cody Ceci. That said, this year (67s/Attach/Bingo) wasn't an overwhelmingly amazing year for him. Not enough to let him become an NHLer without playing in the AHL first. All of our prospects have needed seasoning in the AHL, so there is no way Cody Ceci is fast-stracked to the NHL quicker than Erik Karlsson, Jared Cowen, etc.

Yea, thanks for the clarification. From what I heard mid-season Ceci wasn't wowing anyone either.

But who knows, maybe he can pull a Pageau

sensrulz

Nov 12, 2009
Yea, thanks for the clarification. From what I heard mid-season Ceci wasn't wowing anyone either.

But who knows, maybe he can pull a Pageau
Dream on, defensemen take longer than forwards to make it to the show. I can Ceci here after spending next season with Binghampton. If Gonch leaves then it does present a problem as he usually is solid back there for a PMD and eats huge minutes so either we go with a really young D corps or make a trade. Holes on this team just got bigger:(
Man do I wish Chara was still here, the man is a beast and is one of the best shut down D there is not to mention a cannon for a shot. Look at the B's, as there D corps is one of the best in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00