News Article: Sergei Gonchar to KHL?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Chesnokov is tweeting that it could happen sooner or later.

per Dmitry Chesnokov

Quote:
Sergei Gonchar is close to moving to Matallurg Magnitogorsk of the #KHL to join Mike Keenan. #Sens
https://twitter.com/dchesnokov/statu...27214250102784

Keenan has said he knows nothing about it, either way, only that his GM told him he would be signing more players. The Mallatallurg GM refused to comment.

It could be a leverage move to try to get Ottawa to offer him more money, as well.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I think the Olympics are the most important thing for him and now this way he's still going to be in top game shape. May be better for him actually, getting used to the big ice again before the Olympics. Since he's gotten slower he'll need some adjustment time and the KHL is perfect.

Good luck to Gonch if he does end up goin.

Lyndon Slewidge

Aug 1, 2011
With the emergence of Wiercioch, and Cody Ceci who I am sure will be making a case for himself sooner rather than later, I am okay with this. Peace Gonch, you're alright.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Do Gonchar and Keenan have a history of working together? I'm far from a league historian, but I can't think of an intersection of those two careers.

Or is this supposed to be Sergei thinking that the KHL is now serious because they've brought in a very successful NHL coach who is past this best before date?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Do Gonchar and Keenan have a history of working together? I'm far from a league historian, but I can't think of an intersection of those two careers.

Or is this supposed to be Sergei thinking that the KHL is now serious because they've brought in a very successful NHL coach who is past this best before date?

It would have more to do with playing in his home country I would think. He made his millions in N.A, I'm sure he is happy to play at home in his twilight years.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i'm going to assume this is likely.

bye bye gonchygoo

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
I think the Olympics are the most important thing for him and now this way he's still going to be in top game shape. May be better for him actually, getting used to the big ice again before the Olympics. Since he's gotten slower he'll need some adjustment time and the KHL is perfect.

Good luck to Gonch if he does end up goin.

Yes i agree with this. Gonch was a big help for us, but we need room for younger players to move up.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
It would have more to do with playing in his home country I would think. He made his millions in N.A, I'm sure he is happy to play at home in his twilight years.

I do question that assumption, though. It's the same line of thinking that has every single southern Ontario player wanting to go to the Leafs.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
With the emergence of Wiercioch, and Cody Ceci who I am sure will be making a case for himself sooner rather than later, I am okay with this. Peace Gonch, you're alright.

Emergence of Ceci? He has yet to play a full year of pro hockey, he is far from emerging.

Milan the God*

Crazy that Game 5 could have been the last time Gonchar plays in the NHL.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I do question that assumption, though. It's the same line of thinking that has every single southern Ontario player wanting to go to the Leafs.

These guys havent been playing in different continents for about 2 decades though. Huge difference.

Also Ontario isn't a country like Russia ;)

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
These guys havent been playing in different continents for about 2 decades though. Huge difference.

Also Ontario isn't a country like Russia ;)

I see your point about cultural differences being tiring, even after spending more than half your in the 'foreign' land.

I don't know. I'm skeptical about this report. Some one upthread speculated that it could be a ploy to get Murray to offer more - that I could see, and if he doesn't get what he thinks he deserves he goes "home", but I can't see it as a first option for any player.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Im worried were not going to find anyone good enough for 20 minutes a night to fill that hole. There is literally nobody in FA that is a real attractive option... theres not even a Dennis Wideman type like last year.

I hope Murray doesnt use all his time trying to get a scorer, and neglect getting an offensive second pair guy.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1h
Sergei Gonchar has an offer to go to Metallurg. Being advised to wait to see what his options are in NHL. Sens want him back at lower $

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 31m
Just checked by notes. That offer for Gonchar is north of $7 million. Let's put it this way: It's a lot of money. #Sens @ottawasuncom

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Good. The way Gonchar played the last bit of the season and playoffs made him not worth re-signing.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
****, 7 mil??? Take it Gonch!!! I would haha.

OK. That could be a deciding factor. And I'll trust Garrioch's report (yeah, I know).

I've always coveted Boyle. I wonder what the Sharks would want for him. I know he's not in the age that we're looking for, but still...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
$7 million offers from the KHL aren't always what they seem. To use a current phrase, that league is pretty "sketch". Plenty of guys have seen their contracts over there unilaterally changed or terminated at the whim of the team. If they don't like how you are playing, they simply cut your pay or send you packing, contract or no contract. No doubt, though, that this will strengthen the resolve of Gonchar's agent to get a two year NHL offer as opposed to a one year deal.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've always coveted Boyle. I wonder what the Sharks would want for him. I know he's not in the age that we're looking for, but still...

Has one more year at $6,666,667. Sharks board is kinda split on if they should move him or not. As am I.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
$7 million offers from the KHL aren't always what they seem. To use a current phrase, that league is pretty "sketch". Plenty of guys have seen their contracts over there unilaterally changed or terminated at the whim of the team. If they don't like how you are playing, they simply cut your pay or send you packing, contract or no contract. No doubt, though, that this will strengthen the resolve of Gonchar's agent to get a two year NHL offer as opposed to a one year deal.
Whatever the KHL league may be, at least Gonchar will get exactly the money he signs for whether it's here or in the KHL.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

The KHL has a huge benefit in terms of income taxes for these players so I don't think its really the same line of thinking.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Gonchar had a great career in the NHL & will likely end up in the HOF some day. I wasn't a fan but he had a decent season with Ottawa although his time here had it's moments both good & bad. I doubt this is going to get any more money out of Murray for his services, there is no way he should get a two yr deal & no way he should get more than $4 mil at his age. There is no guarantee he can have a repeat performance next season, his skill could go south just as quickly as he has in the past.

He has helped our team & our young guys now it's time to move on & see what Wiercioch, Ceci, Boroweicki or even a new guy can do. They can split his ice time up & get some valuable experience leading up to next yr's playoffs, they'll need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $185.00