Value of: Sergei Bobrovsky

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

With the news that Latvian goalie prospect Elivs Merzlikins will most likely be coming over to North America a year early, Columbus' goalie depth chart may see some drastic changes.

Bobrovsky will be due a new contract after next season (eligible for extension on July 1st this year) and will most likely be seeking a deal similar to Carey Price.

Joonas Korpisalo may also hold some value, as speculated by Portzline, considering the Jackets went to great lengths to keep him protected in the expansion draft (along with Anderson and JJ) and moved goalie Anton Forsberg to Chicago as part of the Panarin deal.

I'm not saying I would 100% want to trade Bob...but if he were to be moved, Columbus would be looking for a king's ransom in return in top-tier NHL ready prospects and roster players, or even a 1-for-1 hockey deal for a top-flight forward. Columbus' major needs are another top-line scorer to play alongside Panarin and/or a true #1C allowing 19-year old center Dubois to continue developing.

If Columbus decides to test the waters on the Bobrovsky trade front, what would your team be willing to give up to acquire a two-time Vezina winner and top-5 goalie in the league? Pre-negotiated contract extension could be worked out as part of the deal, as well.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Cbus would be crazy to move on from Bob. That said I would love him in Carolina so he can torch Cbus and Philly to make them regret trading him yearly.....

What does Cbus need?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Cbus would be crazy to move on from Bob. That said I would love him in Carolina so he can torch Cbus and Philly to make them regret trading him yearly.....

What does Cbus need?
Skilled scoring depth, particularly at C.

I suspect that's going to be pretty hard to come by, but you can't win if you don't try.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
this CBJ fan is 100% on board with moving on from Bob...great player, due a HUGE contract when he's already one of the top paid goalies, hasn't shown up in the playoffs for us, but is one of key reasons for us to have gotten there...like Viqsi said, if traded for a young playmaking C, he's not going to be given away...on July 1, a sign and trade may be possible...

Reactions: thebus88

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Bobrovsky feels like Fleury. A guy with all the skill, knowledge and physical ability who hasn't quite put it together yet in the playoffs.

Maybe he leaves CBJ and does what Fleury is doing now for the Golden Knights.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Schneider returned the 9th overall pick, not Horvat.

The 9th overall pick was Bo Horvat. So Schneider returned Bo Horvat.

Sergei Bobrovsky is better than Corey Schneider and has the hardware to prove it. Therefore, if he’s traded, he will return more than what Corey Schneider returned.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

I'm not saying I would 100% want to trade Bob...but if he were to be moved, Columbus would be looking for a king's ransom in return in top-tier NHL ready prospects and roster players, or even a 1-for-1 hockey deal for a top-flight forward. Columbus' major needs are another top-line scorer to play alongside Panarin and/or a true #1C allowing 19-year old center Dubois to continue developing.

If Columbus decides to test the waters on the Bobrovsky trade front, what would your team be willing to give up to acquire a two-time Vezina winner and top-5 goalie in the league? Pre-negotiated contract extension could be worked out as part of the deal, as well.

Doubtful

Goalies never return that much in trade
He only has one year to go until UFA and will likely seek a contract that could get ugly fast (Price)
His playoff numbers are awful, and that is over multiple seasons.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
And Bob’s trade value is 100x Korpi’s. So it’s at least worth exploring.
I've been told again and again in "Price to your team" proposal that goaltender don't hold that much value, not matter how good they are. I doubt Bob returns as much as you think, especially with one year left only and looking to sign an "albatross contrat" like Price as people like to say.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The 9th overall pick was Bo Horvat. So Schneider returned Bo Horvat.

Sergei Bobrovsky is better than Corey Schneider and has the hardware to prove it. Therefore, if he’s traded, he will return more than what Corey Schneider returned.

At the time, it was the 9th overall pick. Just because Horvat was a hit, it doesn't change the fact it was a draft pick.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
My OP absolutely mentions what we are looking for in return.

If a somewhat unproven Corey Schneider can return Bo Horvat, Sergei Bobrovsky will absolutely return the type of player we are seeking.

Goalies aren’t valued like they once were. How many goalies have even been drafted in the first round the past 5 years?

Bob is good but I don’t see any team giving up a top 10 pick for him. Mid first round pick would be a good haul. He isn’t bringing back a scoring center.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Good luck with getting that.

You should be happy with a mid-first round draft pick.
Um. No. I would not be shocked if that's the most we get offered given Bob's upcoming contract negotiation, his unfortunate playoff reputation, and the screwball nature of goaltender market value in general, but I sure as hell would not be anything like "happy" with it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At the time, it was the 9th overall pick. Just because Horvat was a hit, it doesn't change the fact it was a draft pick.
Horvat was the target of said pick, and the trade was at the time the pick was to be made. The "draft pick != player drafted" rule of thumb works in most situations, but not ones like that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As Portzline said, Bobrovsky is "entrenched" in Columbus.

They're gonna sink or swim with him.

Question is what will Korpisalo, Tarasov, and Merzlikins do if/when Bobrovsky signs long term.

Also I would expect $20 million AAV to go to Panarin and Bobrovsky combined.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
You could probably get pick 12 from the Isles and take Veleno at that spot. Thats probably the best you could do tbh, goalies dont have much value anyways and Bob will be looking for a Carry Price like contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad