Sergei Bobrovsky for the third Vezina ?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Did Lyon get the first 4 starts vs. Boston because Bob was sick? If what you say is true - then Bob's timing for getting healthy was 100% the luckiest thing on the face of the earth. If Lyon had been giving the Panthers .915 SP goaltending instead of the ~.890 he was and the Panthers were still behind in the series do you think they would have gone to Bob at the same time did that they did?

Prior to the incredible P/O run, Bob was one of the most underwhelming UFA goalie signings I can remember. Thrilled he was able to turn in around in the P/O's last year, and even more happy that he's been able to sustain his play into this year.
Lyon started 3 games, because of his late season run, PoMo didnt change the lineups at all. Lyon got shelled in game 3 giving up 2 softies and never played again.

The UFA deal was a dud before the ink was dry. No goalie is worth that, but it was a misguided attempt by Dale Tallon to try and save his job.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Did Lyon get the first 4 starts vs. Boston because Bob was sick? If what you say is true - then Bob's timing for getting healthy was 100% the luckiest thing on the face of the earth. If Lyon had been giving the Panthers .915 SP goaltending instead of the ~.890 he was and the Panthers were still behind in the series do you think they would have gone to Bob at the same time did that they did?

Prior to the incredible P/O run, Bob was one of the most underwhelming UFA goalie signings I can remember. Thrilled he was able to turn in around in the P/O's last year, and even more happy that he's been able to sustain his play into this year.
Bob had things turned around before the playoffs last season. Bob was out sick when Lyon came on and went on his crazy hot streak. Lyon started the series vs Boston because the team was on a roll and Mo didn’t want to mess with the mojo. Bob’s first years in FL they were runnin’ and gunnin’ while Bob was often left hanging out to dry in the breeze. The uptick in Bob’s play coincides with the Panthers greatly improving their defensive efforts in front of him. His sustaining it this year also has a lot to do with the team’s play in front of him.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
To be fair, Bob was genuinely awful his first year and change in Sunrise. You can blame it on the defense or anything else you want, but he let in a lot of atrocious goals and his abysmal numbers/analytics back that up.

Reactions: Mase and Chaos2k7

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Bob contract has turned into gold the last 2 years. It wasn't long before that, it was seen as perhaps the worst contract in the NHL.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This Bob situation is coming to a head sooner than later he will have two years left at a cap hit of 10 million but the real dollars to be paid out is 6 per year. The Panthers have paid 58 of the 70 million already.

The only way he ever had even a chance to live up to it is with a cup. It would also probably guarantee him entrance in the HoF.
I mean if he somehow wins a Vezina, that along with a SCF appearance would make the contract worth it

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I mean if he somehow wins a Vezina, that along with a SCF appearance would make the contract worth it
I have a different perspective. A goalie signing that deal needs to be a top tier goalie almost EVERY year to make the contract worth it, because for a cap team significant sacrifices elsewhere from a salary perspective. Like I said before - glad Bob has been able to turn it around.

Justlou4545

Jul 14, 2007
Hialeah,Fl
Bob is having s great year and it great to see him playing at high level again. It also helps that the team defence in front of him has been really good. However, as a Panthers I still think Hellebuyck wins it easily.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I have a different perspective. A goalie signing that deal needs to be a top tier goalie almost EVERY year to make the contract worth it, because for a cap team significant sacrifices elsewhere from a salary perspective. Like I said before - glad Bob has been able to turn it around.
Not unless he’s a UFA. That’s a whole different situation. The team winning the free agent knows they’re overpaying

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Not unless he’s a UFA. That’s a whole different situation. The team winning the free agent knows they’re overpaying
Respectfully disagree when a team is committing $10M to a goalie. That level of commitment to goaltending really hampers other aspects of team construction.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Respectfully disagree when a team is committing $10M to a goalie. That level of commitment to goaltending really hampers other aspects of team construction.
It's tricky because while there's a lot of goaltenders in the $5 million - $6.5 million range, you only get three in Price (who is now LTIR'd), Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy north of $6.5 million and in that ~$10 million range.

I think there would be more, there just aren't a lot of long-established goaltenders at the moment. Hellebuyck moves to $8.5 million next season, which is getting there but still gives a solid $1.5 million of room to play with of difference.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Bob is having an incredible season
3rd in wins
7th in SV%
2nd in GAA
4th in SO

I think he should get at least a nomination, might be hard to beat Hellebuyck but he’s closing the gap
Why can't these teams that my team might play in the playoffs have shit goaltending like my team?

:(

Bob is good.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hill for sure deserves a shout, can literally tell when hes not playing and Thompson is in by the score sheet. Just wish he wasnt in net vs us in the finals lol, but hes an incredible goalie.

He has been good no doubt but the others just have a much heavier workload so far this season. Which is generally weighed heavily in Vezina voting.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Bob 100% gets nominated

He now leads the league in GAA among starters and tied for the shutout lead

He’s tied with Helly for the second most wins and only trails him in SV% - 0.915 vs 0.922

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If he gets a nom, and it looks like he will, that all but punches his ticket to the HHOF.
Despite being 36, he still looks like he has a lot of good hockey left in him . He'll retire with at least 400 wins, who knows exactly how many he'll end up with. He also might have another few postseasons on a good Panthers team to polish up his playoff resume.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3