Sergei Bobrovsky for the third Vezina ?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To expand a little on how meaningful GSAx per 60 is:

- using 60% of possible games played as the cutoff, 8 of the last 10 Vezina winners had the highest GSAx/60 rate in that season. 9 out of the 10 winners finished no lower than third in that category.
- in both of the occasions where the goalie with the best GSAx/60 number didn't win, they were the runner-up in the voting.
- since 2014-15, every Vezina finalist has been in the top 10 in GSAx/60 for that season. Over 50% of the finalists have been in the top 5.

Thus, predicting the Vezina voting is easy. Find the starters who save the most goals above what is expected of them, and take your pick. It looks like it's Hellebuyck to win, with Bob and (likely) Demko as finalists - if Calgary misses the playoffs, Markström is probably getting snubbed.

Reactions: Oak

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
'Nominee' means you can only vote for those who are nominated. The Academy Award for Best picture has 'nominees'. The Vezina trophy in the NHL does not.

If a voter wanted to put Yaniv Perets #1 on their ballot - they can. They would probably have their voting rights recinded the following year, but either way - there are no nominees for this award. The NHL simply mentions who finished top-3 in voting as a way to create suspense and discussion.

That said - there is an award in the NHL where there are true nominees though. Each team submits 1 player, and the winner is selected from that bunch. I believe it's the Masterton trophy, but I could be mistaken as I'm not 100% sure.
Ok literal police, I meant finalist you know what I meant lol

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ok literal police, I meant finalist you know what I meant lol

To be a 'finalist', you'd need to win a round in some sort of competition where you advanced in some way.

It's a pet peeve of mine, and I do know what you meant (lots of people say it) - so I apologize if I was annoying. I'll stop now. lol

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
dude has the weirdest career I swear

even for a Goalie
Not really, the D was terrible when he got here, took Zito until now to finally make it solid. Bob was brought in to cover the warts, but with Yandle, a bad at the time Matheson, Stralman, Stillman, Keeper, Josh Brown, and Pysyk.

Reactions: Mase

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
yeah i'd honestly give it to him, but the NHL will instead gift it to Adin Hill

Why would Adin Hill even get a sniff? He's played 25 games to the other front runners 44+, has 15 wins to their 29-31. Basically has had half the workload of the others, no shot he should even get a top 5 vote right now.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah he's earning his large paycheck lately

Didn't he have a bad regular season last year? I know he was beast mode in the playoffs though
He was better than his numbers indicate. He had some good stretches and kept the Panthers in a lot of games. They were still learning how to play defense under Maurice up until about January.

Reactions: Mase

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Yeah he's earning his large paycheck lately

Didn't he have a bad regular season last year? I know he was beast mode in the playoffs though
I think that is more of a fan fiction from other teams than the truth, Bob was cooking from January 1st on, and was only out because of sickness at the end of the season. I have seen more than a few posters saying he lost the crease to Lyon, when that never happened.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You list his ranking in stats, of which he is ranked 1st is none, but suggest he should be considered the best? :sarcasm:

Hellebuyck will win it.

He is 1st amongst the candidates in age.

Boom owned

Screenshot_20240229_173019_Gallery.jpg

Arkstrom Scorpio

Mar 4, 2024
Always loved Bob. In another world (or in the multiverse for ya youngsters) he retires a Flyer. Just goes to show how out of touch GM Holmgren was (still is?). Never should've signed Bryzgalov, never.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Vezina these days really means nothing unfortunately. It’s more so now which goalie sucks the least.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Tim Thomas had a pretty weird career.
The thing with Thomas is that he got such a late start in his NHL career age wise that there was less time for typical goalie "Peaks and Valleys" to occur, and once TT peaked his play sustained at a very high level.

Really happy for SB, because there is a reality somewhere in which Lyon plays good enough that the Bob never gets his chance in the P/O's and the remainder of his contract is an anchor.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Vezina these days really means nothing unfortunately. It’s more so now which goalie sucks the least.
Are you saying that the difference in play between the top goalies (aka - those up for the Vezina) and the others is smaller than it's been so the Vezina means less? Because IMO relative goalie play is the largest indicator of success in the NHL.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Bob's best regular season as a Panther. After the birth of his first kid 18 months ago, he has been on absolute fire.
Yup, plus from what he supposedly said about Q basically making him feel terrible most of the time and that run n gun system it makes sense hes doin much better in our new defensive play.
Why would Adin Hill even get a sniff? He's played 25 games to the other front runners 44+, has 15 wins to their 29-31. Basically has had half the workload of the others, no shot he should even get a top 5 vote right now.
Hill for sure deserves a shout, can literally tell when hes not playing and Thompson is in by the score sheet. Just wish he wasnt in net vs us in the finals lol, but hes an incredible goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The thing with Thomas is that he got such a late start in his NHL career age wise that there was less time for typical goalie "Peaks and Valleys" to occur, and once TT peaked his play sustained at a very high level.

Really happy for SB, because there is a reality somewhere in which Lyon plays good enough that the Bob never gets his chance in the P/O's and the remainder of his contract is an anchor.
No there wasn't, Bob was never under threat of losing the crease to Lyon, lol, he got sick and his backup was in the Player Assistance program. Alex got a chance and the team got hot to close the season.

Good on Lyon for doing what he did but we didn't sign Stolarz for comparable money because Lyon had become possibly the next starter.

It just wasn't like that, sorry. The Org has kept a 1B on the team every year of Bob's tenure until this year. He has never lost the crease or majority of the starts. And in a real funky turn, Stolarz might be the best of them after he was thought to be in a presumed lesser role aka straight backup, from signing as the number 2, all to give Knight the starters role in Charlotte

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
This Bob situation is coming to a head sooner than later he will have two years left at a cap hit of 10 million but the real dollars to be paid out is 6 per year. The Panthers have paid 58 of the 70 million already.

The only way he ever had even a chance to live up to it is with a cup. It would also probably guarantee him entrance in the HoF.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
No there wasn't, Bob was never under threat of losing the crease to Lyon, lol, he got sick and his backup was in the Player Assistance program. Alex got a chance and the team got hot to close the season.

Good on Lyon for doing what he did but we didn't sign Stolarz for comparable money because Lyon had become possibly the next starter.

It just wasn't like that, sorry. The Org has kept a 1B on the team every year of Bob's tenure until this year. He has never lost the crease or majority of the starts. And in a real funky turn, Stolarz might be the best of them after he was thought to be in a presumed lesser role aka straight backup, from signing as the number 2, all to give Knight the starters role in Charlotte.

Did Lyon get the first 4 starts vs. Boston because Bob was sick? If what you say is true - then Bob's timing for getting healthy was 100% the luckiest thing on the face of the earth. If Lyon had been giving the Panthers .915 SP goaltending instead of the ~.890 he was and the Panthers were still behind in the series do you think they would have gone to Bob at the same time did that they did?

Prior to the incredible P/O run, Bob was one of the most underwhelming UFA goalie signings I can remember. Thrilled he was able to turn in around in the P/O's last year, and even more happy that he's been able to sustain his play into this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad