Seravalli: Seravalli: Flames trade demands rescinded following Darryl Sutter’s departure

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How did so many players have career years under Sutter year ago?

Look at the Jets, it’s not always the coach(es)
Anything can work once. When your answer to people figuring your shit out or facing adversity is to just be grouchier and less flexible…it’s not a surprise it would run out fast.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Anything can work once. When your answer to people figuring your shit out or facing adversity is to just be grouchier and less flexible…it’s not a surprise it would run out fast.

Inflexibility is a good way to describe it.

Darryl Sutter hockey works when you've got a team suited to play it. But when your team changes, you need to change with it and Sutter is incapable of that.

It's not just "tough coach" syndrome either. He did a bad job overall AND he's a prick about it in public. Who knows how much a tool he's been without a camera in front of him.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
For those of you who are calling these guys entitled, soft, etc, you're a part of the problem.

I'm in construction of fifteen years, in my 40s, so I have had a sample of various supervisors, bosses, foremen, superintendents. I know the difference between working for someone who respects his crew and ones who don't. Those who lie, manipulate, threaten, etc, no one wants to work for them anymore. Those who are firm but fair, they get results. It's easy to see this old school method of motivating people to work doesn't fly anymore. When you're treated like crap and know you'll get better treatment elsewhere, why would you want to stay?
I know someone will pipe up of how they make millions, that they should put up with it. Why should they? If you're miserable, you're miserable. Money doesn't fix that

I definitely notice it, even in my home life. If I'm working for a jerk, I am miserable and my home life shows it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How would that trade even work? Also D is far from our problem.

Kadri and Kylington balances the cap somewhat? I still don't think I'd do that for Calgary
Have my doubts that Karlsson would waive to go to Calgary considering their circumstances even if Calgary had interest (which would be understandable if they didn't).

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Have my doubts that Karlsson would waive to go to Calgary considering their circumstances even if Calgary had interest (which would be understandable if they didn't).
Tough to say. We do have a lot of Swedes so that might be enticing. I'd imagine Karlsson might prefer a stronger contender though if he had to move

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'm surprised with the amount of flack people are giving the players. If my boss was a D*ck I'd look for a new job. In pro sports you can't just do that, the closest they can do is ask for a trade.

I'm willing to bet they told management/ownership either trade me or fire the coach. It would be similar to a group of employees going to HR and filing a complaint about your supervisor.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

This could also tell the new leadership group isn’t as good as hoped

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, a bunch of entitled people who don't want to spend their prime playing for a guy who has no idea how to manage people/players anymore and was universally hated in the room.

If I joined a company and the guy I directly reported to was making it so that I hated going to work (as reported about Sutter), do you think I'd be an entitled person if I looked for employment elsewhere? Or do you think I should just tough it out?
Yeah he wasn't universally hated in the room. The GM brought in a couple of Primadonnas who had their feelings hurt.

I think that caused turmoil and frustration as more often than not they weren't rowing together.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As the Joker would say, “it’s about sending a message.”
I don't know that the message sent is a real good one. Give backing to the coach only to fire him after you realize you'll have no team?

The proper message was to fire him after the season IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad