Speculation: Seravalli: Arizona looking to add, no longer subtract

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
i know he's a bit of a different animal but the Draft Analyst podcast had an episode last year where he raved about Dudas and how he was a mistake free defenseman. Morgan has said that the Coyotes are excited about him but nobody is going on record just yet saying that he has top pairing potential. The cupboard may not be as bare as we think.
Personally I feel like he’s got top 4 written all over him. Him coming over here to play college hockey was a great move and I’m excited to see the kind of year he’s going to have. Reminds me a lot of Sergachev. We draft ASP at 12 trade some 2nds for a more mature D and we shouldn’t be too bad.

Reactions: Grimes and hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Personally I feel like he’s got top 4 written all over him. Him coming over here to play college hockey was a great move and I’m excited to see the kind of year he’s going to have. Reminds me a lot of Sergachev. We draft ASP at 12 trade some 2nds for a more mature D and we shouldn’t be too bad.
ASP number 8 on my list

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
ASP number 8 on my list
ASP was asked by a team at the combine, who in the league is like you? He said nobody is like me. There are not many sub-six foot top pair or top 4 defenseman to choose from. Unless those guys have exceptional traits, and maybe he does, I would be wary of drafting them. Adam Boqvist and Soda, both an inch taller, were highly regarded coming out as well.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
ASP was asked by a team at the combine, who in the league is like you? He said nobody is like me. There are not many sub-six foot top pair or top 4 defenseman to choose from. Unless those guys have exceptional traits, and maybe he does, I would be wary of drafting them. Adam Boqvist and Soda, both an inch taller, were highly regarded coming out as well.
He’s 5’11. Looked fantastic at U18’s. Button compared him to Zubov. Elite level passing and puck moving.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
A lol of things fell our way to reach 70 points. I don’t think improvement is necessarily a straight line. We can be better as a team but have kess points.
I agree with this. And that our very young blueline may struggle a bit more than they did last season.

And I've said it before, but I think all but two of the teams below us have gotten better and maybe only Philly is worse than us on paper out of teams above us.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Yeah. But we also had two really bad road stretches that I think tired the team out on and added some extra Ls. We will have a more normal road schedule. Hard to know how to balance that with not getting a career year from Keller, no Chychrun, and no Ghost. Hopefully the young guns keep getting better and we hit on hungry free agents like Bjugstad again. Really felt Cooley coming in could have kept the positive momentum going if we could sort the defense. More shaky now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree with this. And that our very young blueline may struggle a bit more than they did last season.

And I've said it before, but I think all but two of the teams below us have gotten better and maybe only Philly is worse than us on paper out of teams above us.
I also agree with you two.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
???

There are a few other players too -- maybe you've heard of Sidney Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Hedman, J. Toews, Kane, Drew Doughty, Backstrom, Marc-Andre Fleury. Pietrangelo. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting that's just off the top of my head.

Maybe you haven't heard of any of these guys. Or maybe you have heard of some of these players and are just arguing in extremely bad faith.

No idea why you or anyone would say (or actually believe) something like this. Here's a better idea -- why don't you take a look again at the Stanley Cup Champs from 2011-2020 (your dates, not mine) and see if you can find a single SC winner that doesn't have at least one of their homegrown top 5 picks as a cornerstone of their roster. Good luck, you will need it.

In the meantime, I don't have time for this and neither does anyone else.

edited for clarity / spelling
those all prior to '11
top 4 this year
vegas - 0 top 5
dallas - 1 heiskann #3 '17
florida - 2 barkov #2 '13 - ekblad #1 '14
Carolina - 1 svechnikov #2 '18

oh yeah have to have roster full of top 5 - BTW AZ has #5 hayton and will have #3 cooley

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I agree, but not on the step back. When Cooley comes up I want to trade one of our top 6 forwards for a 1st or 2nd pair RD or a first pair LD
Right here is a great example of why you always draft BPA...

If we drafted a bunch of mediocre D because we needed them ... and then decided we needed to trade one of them for forward help.. all we will get is a mediocre forward.

Mediocre may be a bad choice of words..but you get the idea etc..

Cooley , Benson , and Michkov(lol) come in ..maybe we can afford to package or trade couple of forwards for a top D?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Hard to make predictions until we see final rosters.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
It was always the correct decision to stop sabotaging the roster intentionally after two years of losing on purpose. You can’t do it any longer than that. We had bad lottery luck. Thems the brakes. Nothing to be done. Keep rebuilding. Stop tanking. Don’t panic. Enjoy the ride.
The top 8 picks in next years draft is looking nice! Too early? :snide:
Without tanking, we're probably picking in this group. The teams below us will be improving and our defense looks weaker.

Reactions: Grimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad