Speculation: Seravalli: Arizona looking to add, no longer subtract

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

I don’t know how I feel about abandoning a rebuild when we’re half way through, so hopefully not a huge summer when it comes to big name acquisitions.

They're not going to go and get Kane and Dumba.

Think Bjorkstrand and MaxPac kinda trades. Good players who just don't work under their current team's cap.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
"I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that Logan Cooley signs with this team for next season."

Hey Frank, you might want to check the news.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Middling UFAs like Connor Clifton and Carson Soucy would be nice. Overpriced but not totally negative value players like Tyler Myers would be nice.

We should NOT trade assets for roster players. Buuuuut if we can upgrade without costing any assets beyond 2-3 year contract commits, that’s what we should be doing.

We’ll keep Keller if we do.

Bill wants a decent culture in place as the blue chips trickle in. It’s smart and I agree with it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Middling UFAs like Connor Clifton and Carson Soucy would be nice. Overpriced but not totally negative value players like Tyler Myers would be nice.

We should NOT trade assets for roster players. Buuuuut if we can upgrade without costing any assets beyond 2-3 year contract commits, that’s what we should be doing.

We’ll keep Keller if we do.

Bill wants a decent culture in place as the blue chips trickle in. It’s smart and I agree with it.
4 Dmen on the NHL roster, three under 25. A Myers, one of the 2 you mention and maybe another offensive minded Dman in a situation like Ghost was would be ideal….like a Girard.

Last edited:
Reactions: ck26

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Clifton and Soucy if cheap make sense, but I don't want $5M+ Girard...BA has talked about getting trees on the backend, well, Girard is a shrub - we don't like shrubs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure that teams will now complain about the cost of getting rid of their mistakes without AZ there to accommodate.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I kinda want BA to add some good character guys who want to be here for more than a year. Take some time to get some stability in the room when there is no stability anywhere else in the franchise. Like Ray Whitney/Adrian Aucoin type signings, only not so close to retirement.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Waiting for a Myers trade for awhile. High cap, low actual cost and massive. Vancouver is probably affraid of dealing with BA at this point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like Graves and Soucy. Maybe bring Bjugstad back if he doesn't get a deal somewhere. Compher if the price is right.

I think BA might go hard after Barbashev.

Announce a Tourigny extension please. Another upward season and then he gets scooped up by a wealthier team and I might just write off hockey forever.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't love this but don't hate it. I think another top 5 pick goes a long way for this rebuild. I'm also worried we make moves like this only to have Keller ask out next year when we are still in a questionable situation and AT doesn't want to re-sign. I guess at that point we move Keller for picks/prospects and keep the rebuild going after a slight left turn.

This makes the offseason much more interesting though, and if it is a way to secure Keller and AT then it is well worth it.

I like Graves and Soucy. Maybe bring Bjugstad back if he doesn't get a deal somewhere. Compher if the price is right.

I think BA might go hard after Barbashev.

Announce a Tourigny extension please. Another upward season and then he gets scooped up by a wealthier team and I might just write off hockey forever.

Would love Barbashev. And losing AT is my greatest fear right now, more so than losing Keller.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
"I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that Logan Cooley signs with this team for next season."

Hey Frank, you might want to check the news.

Couldn't he still change his mind? College players don't sign contracts.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Maybe @Schemp can get his boy Reinhart
Reinhart, I don't think so. But are they preparing us for something bigger? Shane infiltrating Toronto. And yes somebody has to say it, and there isn't anybody out there that's willing to start baseless rumors as much as me. But I'm gonna wait and see if something big happens at the draft before I go on a Matthews as a cap dump to AZ rampage.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Couldn't he still change his mind? College players don't sign contracts.
Yes, he can sign anytime. He intends to play for the GoGo Golphers and we've already picked up that he was disappointed that Tempe killed TED and wants to play in the Valley of the Sun. He probably is just waiting to see how this works out before signing a contract.

Reactions: Nowotny

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I don’t know how I feel about abandoning a rebuild when we’re half way through, so hopefully not a huge summer when it comes to big name acquisitions.
...that didn't come across to me as "we're abandoning the rebuild", more like "we're not going to be so blatantly trying to finish last now"...put another way..........
Stop tanking. Keep rebuilding. I like it.
^that's what I thought, too. Like the Fed pausing rate hikes - "we're not done, and we can always restart, but we're gonna slow down on these moves that we know make us look worse"

Reactions: Grimes

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
...that didn't come across to me as "we're abandoning the rebuild", more like "we're not going to be so blatantly trying to finish last now"...put another way..........

^that's what I thought, too. Like the Fed pausing rate hikes - "we're not done, and we can always restart, but we're gonna slow down on these moves that we know make us look worse"

Yeah. They were shooting for Bedard - that was Plan A - but Plan B was to stock up the prospect cabinet for the next decade by wheeling and dealing for as many picks as they could put in the bank. If Plan A didn't work out as they wanted because Tourigny was too good of a mentor, then Plan B succeeded beyond all of their wildest dreams.

BA himself has said a couple of times that the rebuild was going along faster than he expected. What I expect him to do in the offseason is to find some mentorship and protection for the core and for the young guys who will be making the roster and use the next couple of seasons as a bellwether for their development. We're not going to shoot for the playoffs but we're not going to be in the basement, either.

Frankly, I think if that's the way they're thinking, it's the best for the franchise, and Keller might appreciate that even if there isn't a building available yet (either here or elsewhere). Keller's whole deal is that he wants a confirmation of progress. If he isn't (and we're not) gonna get it from Meruelo/Gutierrez, then maybe Armstrong can give him enough to be satisfied, at least for the short term.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Don't like this, we're not ready. We'll be ready once the players we've actually picked start playing and become good (for instance like what is happening in NJ and BUF right now)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Don't like this, we're not ready. We'll be ready once the players we've actually picked start playing and become good (for instance like what is happening in NJ and BUF right now)

That could be another decade from now. We don't have time for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad