Blue Jays Discussion: September Call-ups & Meaningful Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Shapiro in his office: "You know what will really screw with zeke from hfboards. Signing <insert name here>"

Best way to conduct business!

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
sorry. i won't make a big deal of it, but signing cherington is almost as if shapiro has a personal grudge against me. it's just funny.

i hope to god he was responsible for the newest crop of red sox kids drafted while he was gm, because the red sox drafts when he was actually one of the guys in charge of scouting were, iirc, a bit of a dead zone between the current great crop of kids and the last great lester/pedroia/ellsbury group 10-15yrs ago.

Even then, his primary role doesn't appear to be scouting or drafting, but player development, which... it's really, really hard to assign credit for these types of things, but it's hard to argue against the results of the Red Sox player development system under his tenure with guys like Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley having so much success.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
sorry. i won't make a big deal of it, but signing cherington is almost as if shapiro has a personal grudge against me. it's just funny.

i hope to god he was responsible for the newest crop of red sox kids drafted while he was gm, because the red sox drafts when he was actually one of the guys in charge of scouting were, iirc, a bit of a dead zone between the current great crop of kids and the last great lester/pedroia/ellsbury group 10-15yrs ago.

He was VP, player personnel, and assistant GM during the time when those kids were drafted. He became GM and, well, refused to trade them when everybody wanted him to make the big splash.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Not even sure what to say at this point. This feels like a collapse. There's still time for them to come out of it, but (barring some miracle winning streak) I think the possibility of winning the division is pretty much moot.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
They pretty much have to win five or six out of seven out west. They simply cannot afford to lose any more ground going into the final week+ of the season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They pretty much have to win five or six out of seven out west. They simply cannot afford to lose any more ground going into the final week+ of the season.

To have a legitimate shot at the division, yeah, probably.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
People say that non stop for years so throw enough **** at the wall eventually it will stick and you can say "I told you so". I've been saying for 2 years that Estrada will fall back down to earth so it'd be easy for me to say I told you so now but everybody hits cold streaks. The Jays hitting is just in one now. After last season people expected close to 6 runs a game. Part of the problem is our core guys are injury riddled. EE has been off and on as has JD and both try playing through it. Then there is Jose and Tulo...

The problem is the previous front office chose to build around a big ball philosophy, I think its a lazy/ poor approach. I prefer a team built around speed and pitching, not band-aid starting pitching and over the hill big boppers. The team is built to choke, it is and was predictable when the season started.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Seen this scenario before.........the trend is bad. Hate to say it, but I think its over. I'm not even expecting a wild card spot.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
03161193-640x360.jpg

Rogers Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi joins Prime Time Sports to discuss the Toronto Blue Jays hiring former Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington as vice president of baseball operations.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...and-Joey-Vendetta--pts-20160914-Interview.mp3

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The problem is the previous front office chose to build around a big ball philosophy, I think its a lazy/ poor approach. I prefer a team built around speed and pitching, not band-aid starting pitching and over the hill big boppers. The team is built to choke, it is and was predictable when the season started.

Just last season we almost made the WS and came back from 2-0 in the first round. So maybe your definition of choking is different.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Man this slide is brutal to watch. Season is quickly slipping away. Squeaking in with every aspect of the team running cold would be an early exit even if we do somehow manage to sneak in. Confidence is very very low with this team

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
one of my greatest joys of the last few years has been mocking the ben cherington disaster in boston.

the lester trade. the lackey trade. the miller trade. the pablo signing. the Hanley signing. the castillo signing.

just an amazing job of destroying a team i hate.

and now he works for the jays. hilarious.

if that has filled your life with joy zeke, maybe its time to get out more

:laugh:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I understand the general concept of qualifying offers, but can someone explain a bit further for me.

So when the Jays give a QO to Bautista & Edwin this off-season and they reject them, how is the draft pick compensation determined? Is it dependent on the signing teams draft picks and how do they figure out if they're in the 1st or 2nd round?

Also, I was reading that Colby Rasmus was the only player to ever accept a QO? Why is that the case? Most guys looking for the bigger ticket?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Seen this scenario before.........the trend is bad. Hate to say it, but I think its over. I'm not even expecting a wild card spot.

Hey, it's ain't over til it's over.

If they can't win now they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

If they do pull it together and win the division or a wild-card game, they will have some positive momentum on their side.

All they have to do is win a few games and let the other guys sweat it out. No probs.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hey, it's ain't over til it's over.

If they can't win now they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

If they do pull it together and win the division or a wild-card game, they will have some positive momentum on their side.

All they have to do is win a few games and let the other guys sweat it out. No probs.

They also can't throw away 130+ games because they hit a bit of a skid.

They're still in it and will need to wake up. But it's not over.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just last season we almost made the WS and came back from 2-0 in the first round. So maybe your definition of choking is different.

We also almost choked it up in 3 straight vs Texas too, Texas just happened to choke it up worse than the Jays... If you think this team was or is anywhere near WS quality, we clearly have a different standard of what is WS worthy. You seem to forget just how poor they looked vs KC too.

Good teams figure out ways to gut out wins, if the big hitters aren't hitting the Jays are clueless how to score. If the journey men pitchers aren't over achieving, the Jays are sunk.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Wow 8-1 thumping at home.

This team is just lacking something.

Lots of things it could be of course but what an unfortunate time for it to come apart.

Thought after the players only meeting and the W things would get back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad