Weekes: Sens working to extend DeBrincat

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The Landeskog special. What's wrong with 7M x 8 years? Is he better than Landeskog?

Anyone thinking 9.5M avv for this guy is smoking the real good stuff
I'd say yes, DeBrincat has shown to be better than Landeskog if not at least on par, while being 2 years younger than Landeskog was when he signed his 7M contract, while also signing with a looming salary cap boom. He's also got no ties to Ottawa to have any reason to give them a captain discount the way Landeskog did. I'd argue Landeskog was probably worth closer to a 8x8 anyways.

Reactions: Oryxo

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
?/I’ll guess 8.75M but middle loaded with seasons of 10M.

Something like:

8M
8M
10M
10M
9M
9M
8M
8M

For 70M @8.75M per year.

That would be really good but I'd be surprised if he signed for less than his QO. I'm guessing we're looking at 9-9.25.

Term will be tricky here. Is he willing to sign here for 8 years already? I'm thinking he might want a 5 year deal to score another big contract before he retires. 8 year deal would be great for Ottawa though, would have him locked up for his most productive years with the cap going up 10M.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is a really, really risky one. You sure you want to do that without seeing him away from Kane?

If they get him around 9M I don’t know how it could end up biting them.

Ottawa is loaded offensively (longterm) and todays superstar money is already 10-12M

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I'm expecting somewhere in the low 9s. Anything in the 8s is a win for the Sens. But that should be their last big contract they hand out. Need to start saving up for the rest of the roster.

Ledge And Dairy

The Landeskog special. What's wrong with 7M x 8 years? Is he better than Landeskog?

He is absolutely both better than Landeskog and quite a bit younger. Way more prime years being bought here.

He probably shouldn't get more than Tkachuk at 9.5M but certainly should get at least his QO of 9M

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
If Barzal got over 9m AAV. Don't see how Dcat doesn't get closer to 10m AAV, yes I know center compared to winger, but Dcat is the better player

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Cat played mostly with Toews, Strome, and Kahun in 18/19 and put up 76 points (41 goals) in 82 games. He's already played well away from Kane.

Not a significant amount more... but I'd be curious to see point breakdown based on linemates.

I am not saying he can't produce away from Kane, just that I am sure his point totals and goal totals are inflated due to that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This will be similar to Boeser as far as singing at something long term below his QO. How low? Not sure, but I can see two scenarios where he signs a 3yr extension or 7.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not a significant amount more... but I'd be curious to see point breakdown based on linemates.

I am not saying he can't produce away from Kane, just that I am sure his point totals and goal totals are inflated due to that.

Let's be honest here, I always see this used as a negative towards a player. "If he played away from player X, then he likely wouldn't produce as much". Right, playing with an elite players compared to lesser players will generally always result in better stats. That's just logic.

If Patrick Kane played with Max Domi and some other dude all year instead of with Debrincat, he would undoubtedly not do as good over a full season. It's also not all players who can do well with good players, some guys just don't have the talent and IQ to play with top line caliber players so a player that can produce with elite guys is a pretty good quality to have.

That said, Debrincat is a very good player on his own, and has always been. Debrincat will be playing with very good players in Ottawa. He will constantly play with a combination of Stutzle/Norris, Batherson/Giroux. I doubt his production takes a material dive with these players.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Well everyone seems to thinks that but you lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad