Post-Game Talk: Sens win 3-2 vs Toronto

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Oh good, the "Spezza is lazy" bullocks rears its ugly head again

If you can't see a difference in the edge he plays with now vs how he used to be idk what to tell you.

It wasn't laziness, but he always had trouble with aggressive play and seemed unwilling to do a lot of the dirty work necessary to go the extra mile.

What I see today is a slower guy with a lot more battle than he used to have when he played for us. Such a pity.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Late to watching the game but what an awesome night. Not much to complain about except that 3rd but whatever.

Stutzle looked great and could have had like 3 goals in that 2nd period alone. I was beginning to worry cuz that preseason was horrendous and fumbling the puck all the time.

Pinto also looked awesome in that 2nd.

Norris kinda quiet.
Batherson made some nice subtle plays
Kelly really noticeable as well.
Liked Stanford’s game a lot more than I did of his preseasons.

The only negative is Josh Brown, every time that dude is on the ice the most dangerous chances against happen. I really don’t get what the hell DJ sees in this dude. He is slow, dumb and doesn’t even use his size to clear the net or help himself defensively.

lol Tavares the whining snake, useless underachiever.

Go sens go baby

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If you can't see a difference in the edge he plays with now vs how he used to be idk what to tell you.

It wasn't laziness, but he always had trouble with aggressive play and seemed unwilling to do a lot of the dirty work necessary to go the extra mile.

What I see today is a slower guy with a lot more battle than he used to have when he played for us. Such a pity.
Spezza basically became a scapegoat after the cup final despite being our best forward.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Pinto was the most impressive player for the Sens today. He had some great scoring chances and deserved to score a goal (or a few). It is really starting to look like he has very high upside. I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops this season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Two things clearly stood out to me in a significant way:

Chabot and Pinto.

Pinto... he is going to be something special for us. Playing with the poise of a 30 year old veteran with skill and responsibility. He could have netted a hattrick.

Chabot.. we are going to truly see how special he is now with a very competent partner and actual firepower to work with. Chabot was everything this game until we took over again in that 2nd period segment.

Forsberg with an excellent showing but we had significantly more dangerous scoring chances.

Stutzle is going to be a star, Batherson was a clear catalyst on his line and was laying down the law. Holden was very impressive and made some excellent plays. Sanford played how you would want your 3rd liner to play.

It was just a great, great game. If we signed/acquired an actual top 4, this team could compete for playoffs.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
-Holden has been a nice surprise so far, has a nice first pass and stopped the cycle a few times. Could be a nice partner for Branny on the 3rd pair soon

-Josh Brown still not as good as DJ remembers from junior

-Mete is fast as hell, forgot that

-loved Paul-Pinto-Brown, wonder if it sticks after Brady’s back

-Tierney looked so bad tonight, I actually laughed when he scored

Reactions: Alex1234

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If Logan Shaw is only going to play 5 minutes, we’re definitely acquiring a centre at some point.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
That 3rd period was ROUGH but otherwise, I'm well happy with that game. Just an overall good day to be a Sens. And we hardly ever have one of those

Reactions: Alex1234

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Spezza basically became a scapegoat after the cup final despite being our best forward.

Best centre.

And I think a lot of fingers were pointed at Heatley who despite the points lacked the competitiveness of his linemates.

Spezza would go on to Captain the team and then subtly ask to leave when it was clear that the team needed another rebuild that he didn't want to wait around for in his advanced years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Late to watching the game but what an awesome night. Not much to complain about except that 3rd but whatever.

Stutzle looked great and could have had like 3 goals in that 2nd period alone. I was beginning to worry cuz that preseason was horrendous and fumbling the puck all the time.

Pinto also looked awesome in that 2nd.

Norris kinda quiet.
Batherson made some nice subtle plays
Kelly really noticeable as well.
Liked Stanford’s game a lot more than I did of his preseasons.

The only negative is Josh Brown, every time that dude is on the ice the most dangerous chances against happen. I really don’t get what the hell DJ sees in this dude. He is slow, dumb and doesn’t even use his size to clear the net or help himself defensively.

lol Tavares the whining snake, useless underachiever.

Go sens go baby
Weird to actually judge a player based on regular season play... Thought the 4th line was good last night. Sanford was on the puck and ripped a couple really hard shots.

Brown was horrid in pre season and was by far the biggest liability out there last night. No clue how DJ can justify continuing to play him over MDZ or Brannstrom... I get they want someone that will drop the gloves but he can't play in this league. The amount of time he turned the puck over with little to no pressure was not national league.

I also don't get the obsession over Zaitsev. He just really struggles. Every time he plays with a different partner they seem to struggle too. He does the opposite of what Zub and Holden do which is elevate.
If Logan Shaw is only going to play 5 minutes, we’re definitely acquiring a centre at some point.
I didn't think he was that bad to be honest. But they still need to get someone.

Thought Tierney played really well by his standards last night.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Nylander was everywhere tonight, he’s always open and he is always in the perfect position to distribute the puck, and crazy lower body strength. His body is always open and pointing the perfect direction to make slick plays look easy. Easily their second best player after AM. Really impressive showing.

He is very good. I got into a big argument with friends saying I dont think he is way worse than Marner altough Marner is very good and plays on the PK. Compare the salaries, give Nylander the same opportunities and id be curious to see how he does. Very nice player. More of a shooter than Marner but just saying ever since in Toronto one has way better linemates and opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: branch

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pinto was the most impressive player for the Sens today. He had some great scoring chances and deserved to score a goal (or a few). It is really starting to look like he has very high upside. I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops this season.
His defensive zone play was also outstanding ,helping the defense low in the corners... Tracking and covering forwards to the net,this kid is real good

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Weird to actually judge a player based on regular season play... Thought the 4th line was good last night. Sanford was on the puck and ripped a couple really hard shots.

Brown was horrid in pre season and was by far the biggest liability out there last night. No clue how DJ can justify continuing to play him over MDZ or Brannstrom... I get they want someone that will drop the gloves but he can't play in this league. The amount of time he turned the puck over with little to no pressure was not national league.

I also don't get the obsession over Zaitsev. He just really struggles. Every time he plays with a different partner they seem to struggle too. He does the opposite of what Zub and Holden do which is elevate.

I didn't think he was that bad to be honest. But they still need to get someone.

Thought Tierney played really well by his standards last night.
So many blind passes up the middle that would get picked off...I think he was the scariest one on the defense with the puck

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Spezza isn't young anymore, so he knows that he needs to put in more effort for similar / slightly less result. Doesn't matter much on the PP though, he's still elite at that. He also doesn't face the best opposing matchups anymore.

It feels like he's been on the Leafs longer than the Sens now unfortunately..

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Thoughts:

Mete: Well offensively made a bad missed clear attempt on the pk that lead to a goal

Zaitsev: Not an awful all around game but a few bone head moves in the D zone

Jbrown: Should not be in the line up

Form/ Pinto: Stellar games pinto couldnt buy a goal

Norris: Quiet but top line still looked real good withoutt our captain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad