Post-Game Talk: Sens win 3-2 in OT vs Montreal

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This is what I don't get. How come NFL or Rugby or MLB or every other f***ing sports league in the world have enforcers on the field? There should be no *need* for enforcers if the refs and the league did their job and actually protected the players instead of them policing themselves.

Like it or not the NHL is completely different than those other leagues. There is much more of a grey area around what players can and can't do. NFL if you touch someone after the whistle there will be a penalty flag thrown. NHL you can push and shove quite a bit and they will let it go. Part of the game in the NHL is how you respond in situations like that. Boston dummying Vancouver in the finals is a great example. That's just part of the NHL game. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not. Sens have had plenty of seasons where they have been the team that pushed teams around.

Reactions: The Expert

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
This is what I don't get. How come NFL or Rugby or MLB or every other f***ing sports league in the world have enforcers on the field? There should be no *need* for enforcers if the refs and the league did their job and actually protected the players instead of them policing themselves.

Pretty funny that there are no "enforcers" in the NFL, arguably the most violent professional sports league known to man. Such a strange aspect of hockey.

Would like to see Haley square up with Aaron Donald.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Like it or not the NHL is completely different than those other leagues. There is much more of a grey area around what players can and can't do. NFL if you touch someone after the whistle there will be a penalty flag thrown. NHL you can push and shove quite a bit and they will let it go. Part of the game in the NHL is how you respond in situations like that. Boston dummying Vancouver in the finals is a great example. That's just part of the NHL game. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not. Sens have had plenty of seasons where they have been the team that pushed teams around.

That's my point exactly. Why is it different? Because the league and by proxy the refs do almost nothing to protect the players. There shouldn't be any grey area. You cross check? Penalty. You facewash with your glove. Penalty. Hit to the head, intentional or not. Believe it or not penalty. I think you'd see players adjust REAL fast, and voila no need for facepunchers like Haley.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Yeah I really don't understand why enforcers should be part of the meta of a sport, if by enforcer we mean a guy whose main responsibility is to literally fight people. After the whistle scrum stuff is dumb as hell, serves no purpose in the game. You can still be physical clearing out the front of the net and do it in the context of the game, but I never understood why hockey players are actually allowed to punch each other in the head after the whistle, simply because the puck is around the net. Like, if they did that post whistle stuff during the game they'd get a roughing penalty. But now that the game is stopped you are allowed to throw hands. What?

I say this as a guy who really likes physical play, and who relishes it when he plays sports (despite being a small guy). Hockey just always baffled me with how they interpret what is acceptable and what is not.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pretty funny that there are no "enforcers" in the NFL, arguably the most violent professional sports league known to man. Such a strange aspect of hockey.

Aaron Donald would rip every limb out of Haley's torso before he even managed to drop his mitts lol

Reactions: Mingus Dew

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
And on a side tangent, why are there fights after a big LEGAL check? I do not get that at all. Stupidest thing that crept into NHL semi-recently.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The edge work is beautiful

Any way gudbranson would ever get scratched even though he's an A?

I think he's a bit of a dinosaur. Kind of like Coburn.

Both are made for the game from a decade or two ago.

If you're a big guy like that, you have to be excellent skater or you'll always get walked. Even watching Chara the last couple years has been painful. I liked when Boston put Chara on the ice against us in the playoffs in 2017 because I knew the odds of getting a good chance when up when you had a speedster on the ice.

Canadianhero

Jan 16, 2021
Are The Sens making the playoffs this season? Most likely not. Hence , when a Canadiens players spears our superstar in the throat on purpose. This must be dealt with. Otherwise the targeting, spearing, headshots on the 19 year old Stuetzle will continue.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Hockey isn't like football, but in football there are a lot of times when someone could get someone back with a hard or dirty hit. Linemen could go after guys knees on the line, wide receivers would get pushed in the back as they are going out of bounds, a runner is tied up & you take advantage with a vicious secondary hit when he can't protect himself. Players take a shot at their head when they are already down, or you nail the corner with a crack-back block or blindside hit. There are all kinds of opportunities to nail guys in football that isn't always legal rather than drop the gloves & every now & then there is a melee in football.

Reactions: The Expert

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The idea of enforcers in rugby made me laugh though. There have been some doozy fights in rugby. Lots of enforcers always seem available :)

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad