Post-Game Talk: Sens win 3-2 in OT vs Montreal

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My bad. I misread something.

But our coach played Mike Reilly more than any other player last night. Even you, yourself, said anyone could see that Reilly was bad last night. So did our coach not see that? Whether he did or not, playing Mike Reilly that much was idiotic. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Coach is going to play who he feels he can rely more on. Obviously he doesn't have the confidence in guys like Coburn Brannstrom or Zub to play those minutes and situations. It's really a matter of a lack of better options.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
No need to start a debate on Reilly. He is bad, awful, abysmal. Whatever you want to call it. Same goes for Gudbranson. They are both Garbage and shouldn’t play in the league. I think we can all agree on that.

Reactions: h2

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
There are so many bad plays that wont be recorded as a give away but ultimately result in one.

Passes to players already covered, not moving or just in to their feet, behind them, etc...

It is actually incredible to think they get paid to play hockey and can't complete a 30 foot pass while under no pressure and both players wide open.

Then the curious decisions of skating IN to traffic and pressure and away from open ice only to be forced to dump it away.

The single most frustrating aspect of this team right now is the inability of our D corps to read a breakout and make a proper play.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Coach is going to play who he feels he can rely more on. Obviously he doesn't have the confidence in guys like Coburn Brannstrom or Zub to play those minutes and situations. It's really a matter of a lack of better options.
If the coach can't see how much better Zub and Brann handle pressure and move the puck quickly and smartly that is a huge red flag to me.

It doesn't take a trained eye to see they know where pressure is coming from and where their outlet is..anyone else not named Chabot (admittedly Z has been much better too) does not have the processing ability or skill of those 2.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

But at least two of those options ARE better than Reilly. The fact that our coach can't see that, or even really explore the possibility does nothing to dispel the notion that he's incompetent.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
You can't find the link because it doesn't exist, that's pretty bad. Here's the obvious sarcastic quote:

Post-Game Talk: - Sens win 3-2 in OT vs Montreal

Here's the part where he even said it wasn't real:

Post-Game Talk: - Sens win 3-2 in OT vs Montreal

If you have to use fake quotes to show our coach is biased, our coach isn't the one you're making look like an idiot.

Be better.
It is something odd, when the team was doing very poorly in games 3-10. The attacks were visceral, but you had no choice but to allow the venting. The loses were coming fast and furious and were at times, thrashings. The team and thus its manager and coach were looking bad!

In the roughly 10 games since, the team has only suffered 1 or 2 "bad loses" and has played very well in most games and could easily be above 500 in that span. Yet the attacks seem to be even more visceral. While Dorion and DJ have not moved from idiots to savants, they don't deserve this.

I think you know that rumors evolve into fact and repeated often enough, they become truth!!!!!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You would think that the extra minutes would go to Zub and Brannstrom....bit of a head scratcher.

Glad they won, and I'm sure that after the first MTL goal we all went "here we go again", but Murray was perfectly fine, thank God.

Young guys looking great, and Coburn was unexpectedly good. I think the writing is on the wall for Wolanin

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The beginning of the 3rd with Zaitsev and Reilly firing grenade passes at each other cross ice in our zone is one of the funnier things I've seen this season so far.
Followed closely by Z going behind the net and easing the pressure but then skating out into the corner at Reilly (bringing forechecker with him) and then dumping it off.

Last night was laughable on that front.

Reactions: cudi

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Watch the reaction of the Canucks’ bench and Hoglander when MacEwen goes after Forbort. How can you say nobody cares?
Meh, see how well this post ages. Check back in 2 years. Then check back in 5 years. It's on the way out.
Again, stop personalizing this to me. You keep saying "You might not like it". This isn't me. This is just what is happening.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Look at the other teams defensive coverage and breakouts. They like machines. It is all on bad coaching. DJ Smith has to install the structure, the discipline. Elimination of situations leading to turnovers. Bad passes to covered players, passes through the covered lanes with high risk play and so on. Practicing defense and initiating a proper breakout. I do not see that system installed at all. Do they ever practice keepaways?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree.. It will not be quickly forgotten cause it will be the beginning of many cheap shot.
This is such a strange argument. There were just as many if not more cheap shots back in the day when fighting was much more prevalent, fighting simply doesnt deter this stuff, it existed just the samewhen fighting was at it's peak.

A guy like Marchand isn't changing his game because a guy will try to fight him just like Claude Lemieux didn't. Send them to the box and cost their team a W though and you might see them reasses their gameplan, unfortunately officials want to let the players police themselves which is why you get cheapshots in the first place.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If the coach can't see how much better Zub and Brann handle pressure and move the puck quickly and smartly that is a huge red flag to me.

It doesn't take a trained eye to see they know where pressure is coming from and where their outlet is..anyone else not named Chabot (admittedly Z has been much better too) does not have the processing ability or skill of those 2.
Yeah this. That along with not rewarding Peca's great play last game are just mind boggling to me. Are they not watching the film? I know when the game is going on its alot for a coach managing the bench etc. But they must be watching the tape after. Sends a bad message to the group when you arent rewarded for obviously playing well and when players struggle get thrown back out there.

Reactions: Emrasie

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Meh, see how well this post ages. Check back in 2 years. Then check back in 5 years. It's on the way out.

Why would we have to see how my post ages? What relevance would the state of the league in 5 years have to whether « the code » and fighting are a viable solution now? You said:

[...] It doesn't work anymore. Those days of 'the code' are gone.
[...]

It's done. The fighting code is done.
[...]

I provided examples to the contrary.

In five years there likely will be less fighting, that doesn’t change that the players on the bench appreciated MacEwen doing what he did or that « the code » still exists in the NHL today (and likely still will in five years, if to a lesser extent).

Seems to me that we were pretty clearly discussing the present.

Again, stop personalizing this to me. You keep saying "You might not like it". This isn't me. This is just what is happening.

If you don’t want people to personalize a discussion I’d suggest not doing so yourself by suggesting their opinions are dumb or that they’re living in the past:

Enough with this talk of violent retribution. That's dumb.
[...]
But people demanding he be beaten to a pulp for it are living in a different era.

You're living in the past.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah this. That along with not rewarding Peca's great play last game are just mind boggling to me. Are they not watching the film? I know when the game is going on its alot for a coach managing the bench etc. But they must be watching the tape after. Sends a bad message to the group when you arent rewarded for obviously playing well and when players struggle get thrown back out there.
I thought Peca was dinged up in the Toronto game so they brought in Haley.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If they don’t care then why didn’t Boyle and Glass keep up their approach which was clearly paying dividends? Intimidation may not be quantifiable but it is a part of all pro sports.

Like I said, you may not like it but it isn’t gone, listen to the play by play here:

Watch the reaction of the Canucks’ bench and Hoglander when MacEwen goes after Forbort. How can you say nobody cares?

Did neil or Carkner fighting deter anything or did it just call attention to the cheap shots and for the officials to break out the riot act and tell both coaches any more shenanigans and they'll send one guy to the box?

The reality is as a deterrent, the threat of fighting doesn't really work, we still get the cheap shots. Sometimes a fight ensues and sometimes the cheap shots reduce after that fight but a causal link isnt really established if the refs are also telling the teams this can't be happening, there's too many variables at play.

Reactions: Back in Black

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The whole discussion around tough guys as a deterrent is a flawed one. Tough guys are there as an outlet, not a deterrent.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But at least two of those options ARE better than Reilly. The fact that our coach can't see that, or even really explore the possibility does nothing to dispel the notion that he's incompetent.

My point is, he doesn't know what he can get out of some of the other guys and he isn't comfortable at the moment pushing them for more. It's not that he didn't see Reilly didn't have a bad game. If you want to criticize him for not trying those guys sure. But don't assume he thought Reilly was good, that's not really fair.

Reactions: Emrasie

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No need to start a debate on Reilly. He is bad, awful, abysmal. Whatever you want to call it. Same goes for Gudbranson. They are both Garbage and shouldn’t play in the league. I think we can all agree on that.

They both have their moments are playing in too big of roles on this team. That said just about every team has at least two guys that the fan base feels they shouldn't be in the league. The lines between what is and isn't a NHL defensemen is blurred by so many.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If you don’t want people to personalize a discussion I’d suggest not doing so yourself by suggesting their opinions are dumb or that they’re living in the past:
Fair enough. Point taken about name calling.
But I still disagree that players appreciate it or think it has a lot of value. They react on the bench because that is the behaviour that is expected of them. There is no audience, so they have to bang their sticks and cheer. They've been programmed to do it.
I am fairly certain though that if you asked Stutzle if he would like the team to call up Haley to go beat up Danault for him, he'd probably find it absurd.
I have teenagers and they have a very different mindset. My son is Stutzle's age and has played competitive hockey, football, lacrosse. He's a big kid and back squats in the mid 400s, benches mid 300s, etc. I asked him about the fighting in sports and he doesn't get it. It wasn't a thing for him growing up. His friends and team mates don't look for it. It's not much of a thing anymore. The fight Gudbranson had with Kassian was so lame. It wasn't entertaining. And Kassian got injured. It made the NHL look silly. I just don't think fighting in the NHL still has the same importance that you believe it has.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Did neil or Carkner fighting deter anything or did it just call attention to the cheap shots and for the officials to break out the riot act and tell both coaches any more shenanigans and they'll send one guy to the box?
Anyone who watched the 2012 and 2017 series knows the correct answer is the former and not the latter.

Tanner Glass and Brian Boyle were invisible after the incidents (Boyle moreso because of a concussion from a massive Chris Neil open ice hit). OT hero Kyle Turris said it himself.

If you're trying to make a point that fighting or enforcers aren't a deterrent you couldn't have picked 2 worst series'. Except maybe the Montreal brawl series.

Reactions: Bileur

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Reilly is a different version of himself every time he takes a shift.

One shift he's hitting guys with long breakout passes

Next shift he can't make a 3 foot pass to his D partner.

The Mike Reilly experience is real and its spectacular.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anyone who watched the 2012 and 2017 series knows the correct answer is the former and not the latter.

OT hero Kyle Turris said it himself.
There were roughly 700 fights a year back before the lockout and aroud 250 these days, are cheepshots more prevelant now then in the days of Raffi Torres, or Ulf Samuelson, or Claud Lemieux? Nope, if anything they are less so. The idea that it is the threat of fights that deters cheelap shots is hoghly dubipus, particularly when frameded as preventative rather than retaliatory.

Also carkner got kicked out of the game and suspended for the next, I'm sure the thteat of fighting him remained a big deterrent while he hit the showers and watched from the pressbox. Meanwhile the refs realised they needed to calm things down before they had all out line brawls. I'm sure the talks they had with the coachs had no impact going forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad