News: Sens will not bring back Chris Neil

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Chris Neil has suited up for his final game with the Ottawa Senators.

It’s the end of an era, indeed.

In a move that isn’t a surprise after he played only a limited role under coach Guy Boucher last season, the Senators have informed the 37-year-old rugged right winger he won’t be back next season and, as a result, he’ll test the market as a unrestricted free agent on July 1 because Neil would like to play another year.

Though GM Pierre Dorion and assistant Randy Lee both know the value Neil brings to the table there’s no sense bringing him back if he’s not going to play and isn’t going to be happy with his role under Boucher.
Make no mistake, there are no hard feelings here.
At the end of meeting the two sides shook hands and agreed to head their separate ways.
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...eil-and-the-senators-head-their-separate-ways

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Someone will definitely pick him up. Just last year he had 5 goals

Yup he'll get a 1 way deal somewhere (he won't sign a 2way, if he did he woulda still been a Sen)..

Guy can still be a good 4th liner.

Look forward to seeing him back within the Sens organization in 2018 though :)

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
How are Sens fans going to feel when MB signs him in MTL?

How are Habs fans going to feel for that matter?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
How are Sens fans going to feel when MB signs him in MTL?

How are Habs fans going to feel for that matter?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs give him a 1-2 yr deal...Of course at a lower salary than last season .

Wouldn't surprise me to see him dress all 82 games barring an injury...

No problem with it at all....The guy still bangs and still can step up and is a leader etc...

Montreal brought in Steve Ott and played him ...even in the playoffs...Ott played well.

Neil?? yeah

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Rutherford wants some toughness to protect Crosby from head shots. I can't think of a tougher hombre currently in the league. Not many, that's for sure.

I would love to have Neil for one season.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Rutherford wants some toughness to protect Crosby from head shots. I can't think of a tougher hombre currently in the league. Not many, that's for sure.

I would love to have Neil for one season.

This is a place I can really see Neil going.. 1 last shot at a cup..

Will probably be the only way Sens fans will ever cheer for Pittsburgh too :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I love Neil for all he's done for the Sens organization, but he was brought back to hit the 1,000 game mark and be in a leadership role, not because he played particularly well. Now fast forward another year of decline. I don't think he's got enough in the tank for another year.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I read somewhere that he decided the Sens-Rangers series.

I think he did. some of our players where playing scared till he sucker punched Glass. After that he basically sat on the bench and Glass behaved himself. Then we started playing way better as we where no longer scared. If we did not change how we where playing i believe we would of lost to NY.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He's still better than both of those guys.

Tanner Glass nowadays is much much better than Neil. Glass was actually very good (relative to expectations) in the regular season where he played a handful of games at the end and in the playoffs too. Ask any Ranger fan and they'll hate to admit it but he was solid and not a pylon for once

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He'd be the first guy I'd sign as GM in Vegas. Great character guy to have in the room.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Anaheim probably salivating right now. They love their goons. Perfect fit. Carlyle gonna slot him in Getzlaf's Wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: