Pre-Game Talk: Sens vs Panthers - Let’s hassle the Hoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Interesting that two of Ottawa's best players are not considered speedsters by any stretch of the imagination in Stone & Tkachuk, so much for that theory. I'll go with hockey IQ & smarts over speed, lots of very fast players who can't finish or do much of anything else. There are tons of very good NHL players who are not speedsters & have done quite well in the NHL & continue to. Speed without smarts means more players skating through the backboards but it's clear there is a transition mostly because the kids coming up are all better skaters. They are all better coached today, most have more skill & they all seem to have taken skating lessons along the way to get them this far.

Have you not heard of the importance of a right shot defenceman in today's NHL to go with speed & skill? Ceci has all of those things & isn't quite as bad as people say he is, I'm neither here nor there regarding Ceci but EK was equally as bad defensively but his offence made up for it. It would be silly to give up on a 24 yr old defenceman at this point but it wouldn't surprise me either. If he's as bad as this fan base keeps suggesting why the hell does this coach & other coaches play him so much? What do they know that you don't?

That's a really bad argument, given that Tommy Pyatt has played every single game so far this season.

Reactions: Lenny the Lynx

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I may be in the minority here, but I usually prefer it when we don't get scored on.

Well sure, but given that the Senators haven't shut a team out since December 16th, 2017* it's probably unrealistic to go that way. Assuming the Panthers score (which they will) it would be nice if it were Hoffman.

*Cue Andy shutout in 3, 2, 1...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hoffman is so much better than a lot of people around here realized, would be nice to see him pot a couple of goals (in a losing effort) as an FU to that section of the fan base.

He has a tendency to fade down the stretch so let's see if he can avoid that this season.

We all saw his hot streaks, we all know how solid he is when he is on his game, the problem was how ineffective he was when he wasn't scoring.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He has a tendency to fade down the stretch so let's see if he can avoid that this season.

We all saw his hot streaks, we all know how solid he is when he is on his game, the problem was how ineffective he was when he wasn't scoring.

He's no more/less ineffective than a guy like Dzingel. Bit of the nature of the beast when it comes to scoring wingers.

I'd wager he's gonna put up career highs in goals and points this season, so that should help keep Panthers fans happy with him as well.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Boucher, please put Dzingle back with Duchene!

I want to see triple D threat!

Dzingle - Duchene - Drake !!!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That and that @aragorn calls for P&P to be replaced and Boucher to be replaced as well.. but as far as Ceci is concerned the coaches know best I guess.
I know Ceci makes a number of mistakes but I also hear his name making all kinds of good defensive plays. He's not turned into the offensive defenceman we thought we were getting after his OHL career but he's also playing more of a shutdown role than offensive role. Whose call was that do you think? I know & have read your comments about him but looking at this young defence I'm not sure Jaros is ready to replace Ceci but IMO he could replace Wideman right now. Wolanin is a left shot playing the right side while Burgdoerfer is out, can Wolanin handle the right side in the NHL? Who knows & who is left? JBD could be a yr or more away, who can play Ceci's minutes now?

And since Wideman, Pyatt & Paajarvi are all UFAs in the last yr of their contracts & IMO should not be in this team's future plans, they should be traded, if possible. And since IMO Ottawa has prospects who have more potential than those three is another reason to replace them sooner or later & maybe get some extra late rd picks. This coach just pisses me off a lot, not that another would do any better, but he could be all they can afford at this time. I liked Paul Maclean the best of the last few coaches.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I know Ceci makes a number of mistakes but I also hear his name making all kinds of good defensive plays. He's not turned into the offensive defenceman we thought we were getting after his OHL career but he's also playing more of a shutdown role than offensive role. Whose call was that do you think? I know & have read your comments about him but looking at this young defence I'm not sure Jaros is ready to replace Ceci but IMO he could replace Wideman right now. Wolanin is a left shot playing the right side while Burgdoerfer is out, can Wolanin handle the right side in the NHL? Who knows & who is left? JBD could be a yr or more away, who can play Ceci's minutes now?

And since Wideman, Pyatt & Paajarvi are all UFAs in the last yr of their contracts & IMO should not be in this team's future plans, they should be traded, if possible. And since IMO Ottawa has prospects who have more potential than those three is another reason to replace them sooner or later & maybe get some extra late rd picks. This coach just pisses me off a lot, not that another would do any better, but he could be all they can afford at this time. I liked Paul Maclean the best of the last few coaches.

deviates from the exact point I made but... If they all cost the same $ the guys that can play RD in the NHL out of Say, Demelo, Harpur, Ceci, Wideman, Jaros... I would probably pick Demelo, Ceci , Jaros, Harpur, Wideman in that order.. Ceci and Demelo are close. Do I think Ceci is so far out in front of those guys he's ahead of to pay him 5m+ a year ... no way. Get me another Demelo under 2m per year ... that's the kind of value he has imo... He is nothing special. Jaros is barking at his heels. Brendan Bell was a pretty excellent OHL D as well that won CHL Dman of the year .. and how'd that work out.. Which coach should we blame for that? Sometimes players peak early and can't turn the corner for a variety of reasons. Ceci's processing speed has not been good. Could he have developed better in that D shut down role with Methot instead of Phaneuf .. maybe,, anyone suggesting "for sure" with any certainty is full of it... If he was naturally offensively gifted we would have seen it more. He has been given more opportunity than most players.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad