Pre-Game Talk: Sens vs Panthers - Let’s hassle the Hoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Glad to see the coach make his first "tough" decision and dole out a healthy scratch to Wideman
This doesn't qualify as a "tough decision", he has scratched Wideman multiple times over his 3 seasons here.

A "tough" decision would be sitting out Pyatt, or Boro for their for the exact same reasoning that you think Wideman is being sat for.

Reactions: derriko

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Imagine running with Balcers/Chlapik/Bath for a few games as your third line when Pageau comes back.

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-White-Stone
Balcers-Chlapik-Bath
Boedker-Pageau-Smith

Now that's a good looking rebuilding lineup (minus Ryan of course).

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This doesn't qualify as a "tough decision", he has scratched Wideman multiple times over his 3 seasons here.

A "tough" decision would be sitting out Pyatt, or Boro for their for the exact same reasoning that you think Wideman is being sat for.

I'm talking about this season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hasn't GB already healthy scratched him this season?

I don't think so. And not a veteran. I could be wrong because we have had so many injuries. My gut feeling was when Jaros was ready that Wideman would sit. And GB alluded to the size and skating ability as to the reason why Jaros is back in.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't think so. And not a veteran. I could be wrong because we have had so many injuries. My gut feeling was when Jaros was ready that Wideman would sit. And GB alluded to the size and skating ability as to the reason why Jaros is back in.
Next tough decision should be to get Wolanin in there for Ceci or Boro

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Glad to see the coach make his first "tough" decision and dole out a healthy scratch to Wideman. He is trying but clearly is too slow and that hampers his game right now.

It would be awesome to sweep the homestand. Boys must be feeling good and confident and would want to play better after the 2nd period debacle in Florida.

Excited to go to see this one and will applaud if they do a Hoffman tribute. It is the right thing to do.
I agree, there is lots of trade talk surrounding him I don't think they want to keep him.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Wideman is as good as gone I agree.

He's nice depth to have but we can manage with Wolanin playing great and Jaros showing he can at least be a 3rd pairing guy.

I think we can get a pick for Wideman. He's not a bad guy to have on a 3rd pair and on the PP.

Hopefully Dorion also looking into a goalie.
I think they need to move fast on the Wideman situation, and the goalie situation if Anderson goes down does Condon come back up? It just seems to be quite a risky game they are playing.

Reactions: derriko

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Imagine running with Balcers/Chlapik/Bath for a few games as your third line when Pageau comes back.

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-White-Stone
Balcers-Chlapik-Bath
Boedker-Pageau-Smith

Now that's a good looking rebuilding lineup (minus Ryan of course).

No it's not, too many small soft players in that lineup. I think the time is coming soon for them to trade Pageau, Boedker & I would trade Balcers too. Ottawa has enough very good prospects coming that should be able to replace them soon enough. Where's Tierny?

Next tough decision should be to get Wolanin in there for Ceci or Boro

Ceci is a 24 yr old right shot defencemen with size & skill, who may be just coming into his own the way he has played since coming back from injury. Somehow I just don't see them trading him just yet. Boro on the other hand is 29 yrs old & with only a yr left on his contract I expect that he may not be re-signed & could possible be traded at some point between now & next season's deadline. Of course, if they can't come to an agreement on Ceci's next contract, he could be moved since this owner needs the jaws of life to open his wallet.

I think they need to move fast on the Wideman situation, and the goalie situation if Anderson goes down does Condon come back up? It just seems to be quite a risky game they are playing.

I agree, that I would like to see Wideman, Pyatt & Paajarvi moved for picks asap but it's also likely that PD won't be able to trade all three before the deadline. Condon could be next to impossible to move given that he has sucked this yr & makes too much money. I'm a proponent of looking for a #1 goalie for the foreseeable future until one of our own goalie prospects are ready to be the #1 in Ottawa but that could take yrs, if at all. Anderson is playing well this yr & if his pattern of playing well one yr & crappy the next holds true, he should go back to sucking next yr & needs to be replaced before next season. Good luck to PD to find a #1 goalie out there this yr that they can afford.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
No it's not, too many small soft players in that lineup. I think the time is coming soon for them to trade Pageau, Boedker & I would trade Balcers too. Ottawa has enough very good prospects coming that should be able to replace them soon enough. Where's Tierny?
Forgot about Tierney, he could replace Smith. The NHL isn't about being big and tough anymore its about speed and skill.

Ceci is a 24 yr old right shot defencemen with size & skill, who may be just coming into his own the way he has played since coming back from injury.
Imagine still believing in Cody Ceci. Must be lonely on that island. At least you will have GB and PD with you.

Reactions: Alex1234

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018

Ceci is a 24 yr old right shot defencemen with size & skill, who may be just coming into his own the way he has played since coming back from injury. Somehow I just don't see them trading him just yet. Boro on the other hand is 29 yrs old & with only a yr left on his contract I expect that he may not be re-signed & could possible be traded at some point between now & next season's deadline. Of course, if they can't come to an agreement on Ceci's next contract, he could be moved since this owner needs the jaws of life to open his wallet.

I agree, that I would like to see Wideman, Pyatt & Paajarvi moved for picks asap but it's also likely that PD won't be able to trade all three before the deadline. Condon could be next to impossible to move given that he has sucked this yr & makes too much money. I'm a proponent of looking for a #1 goalie for the foreseeable future until one of our own goalie prospects are ready to be the #1 in Ottawa but that could take yrs, if at all. Anderson is playing well this yr & if his pattern of playing well one yr & crappy the next holds true, he should go back to sucking next yr & needs to be replaced before next season. Good luck to PD to find a #1 goalie out there this yr that they can afford.
I think he moves Wideman first
Then Pyatt and hangs onto Paajarvi until the deadline.

Reactions: aragorn

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Which I am fine with he really cant defend at this level. So happy to see Jaros in over him.
Wideman has more hits than Ceci so I think he can defend just not given the chance in this system. I hope he gets moved soon. Can't see the coaching staff putting him into any long term plan.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Misinformation

Really?

Trading Hoffman was purely for internal cap reasons, everything else is a fabrication or over-exaggeration of a rift between two teammates. I am very happy Hoffman is doing well. Can't believe some people dismissed him as a player because he wasn't "good" defensively. He's one of the most exhilarating offensive players to put on a Sens sweater. Dynamic shot (literally breathtaking and akin to the likes of Ovechkin/Tarasenko/Kucherov), speed, and hands. Too bad he's gone.

That is misinformation.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Forgot about Tierney, he could replace Smith. The NHL isn't about being big and tough anymore its about speed and skill.

Imagine still believing in Cody Ceci. Must be lonely on that island. At least you will have GB and PD with you.

Interesting that two of Ottawa's best players are not considered speedsters by any stretch of the imagination in Stone & Tkachuk, so much for that theory. I'll go with hockey IQ & smarts over speed, lots of very fast players who can't finish or do much of anything else. There are tons of very good NHL players who are not speedsters & have done quite well in the NHL & continue to. Speed without smarts means more players skating through the backboards but it's clear there is a transition mostly because the kids coming up are all better skaters. They are all better coached today, most have more skill & they all seem to have taken skating lessons along the way to get them this far.

Have you not heard of the importance of a right shot defenceman in today's NHL to go with speed & skill? Ceci has all of those things & isn't quite as bad as people say he is, I'm neither here nor there regarding Ceci but EK was equally as bad defensively but his offence made up for it. It would be silly to give up on a 24 yr old defenceman at this point but it wouldn't surprise me either. If he's as bad as this fan base keeps suggesting why the hell does this coach & other coaches play him so much? What do they know that you don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->