Pre-Game Talk: SENS vs Leafs in T.O., Saturday night 7:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Great win.
The Kids
Chabot great game... he will continue to grow in leaps and bounds imo. White's icetime was cut from 8 minutes in the first to 3 minutes in each of the 2nd and 3rd... basically 4th line ice time. Predicatbly, imo, he definitely did not look as good with Duchene as he did with Stone and Smith. Formenton was pretty evenly distributed for 12 minutes total.. He , again, predictably was less noticeable than he was playing with Boedker vs Chi. Lajoie played more against a very high powered offense. I really like his game. He's definitely top 4 LHD on this team. Boucher has a tough line to walk this year , trying to be as competetive as possible, get the boys / team some wins when he can and develop players. Players that are developing need to play and they need to keep their confidence up . Skipping by them on shifts where they sit for stretches doesn't help that.. but.. the win is at least equally important as well.

Reactions: Alex1234

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I like that when both the Habs and Sens are good, we're fierce rivals, but when we're both bad, we're basically super-bros united in arms against Toronto. :laugh:

The Atlantic division is funny sometimes.
Hockey as a metaphor for life.... yeah, why not? Super-bros it is -- united underdogs!

Somebody needs to take a screenshot of today's standing. Hilarious.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the second chances was in the second, I missed most of the first but caught that chance. Could be wrong though.

As for why Natural stat trick categorized the chance as a regular scoring chance and not a high danger one, it's just an algorithm based on the types of events and how often they've historically scored, so sometimes what is a great chance by the eye test doesn't register because the data is incomplete. In the end, it uses the NHL's real time stats which are a bit flaky too.

Over a full season, the noise becomes less of an issue, but for a single game, there's a bit of a margin of error you have to account for.

well, I really don't know how the stats sites categorize chances in terms of deciding shot versus scoring chance versus high danger scoring chance...but the first play I mentioned imo was the best chance in the first period, the second play was a breakaway....if they are not considered high danger chances, then i'd say the algorithms got it wrong

Reactions: aragorn

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I know Ottawa was outshot (surprise surprise) and the Leafs were really pressing at the end to tie the game, but I thought it was a pretty even matchup overall. Of course you wouldn't know that from reading the TSN/Sportsnet/CBC recaps where it was complete and utter dominance from puck drop to finish by Toronto, and Ottawa should just be grateful they were allowed to skate on the same ice as the Chosen Team.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know Ottawa was outshot (surprise surprise) and the Leafs were really pressing at the end to tie the game, but I thought it was a pretty even matchup overall. Of course you wouldn't know that from reading the TSN/Sportsnet/CBC recaps where it was complete and utter dominance from puck drop to finish by Toronto, and Ottawa should just be grateful they were allowed to skate on the same ice as the Chosen Team.

They have a narrative which they cling to no matter what happens.

In both of our games we were leading in the third which usually leads to pressure against as the game closes out.

In any event, a good road game with good goaltending.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Man. Why is everyone so annoying. We have two decent games. (We celebrate that fact). Our own fans that stand with management no matter what say “wow already back on the back wagon”. And other teams fans are like “wow you think you’re good after two games”. Like neither of those statements are true. Can’t we just celebrate a victory lmao.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
In some ways it's kind of cool to see the reverse of what we've experienced with other teams in the past (Montreal, Buffalo). When we were good there were always bad teams that gave us trouble. Now Toronto is supposed to be a good team, a contender (lol, we'll see - their holes weren't addressed by adding Tavares) and we just beat them... they didn't dominate us.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Man. Why is everyone so annoying. We have two decent games. (We celebrate that fact). Our own fans that stand with management no matter what say “wow already back on the back wagon”. And other teams fans are like “wow you think you’re good after two games”. Like neither of those statements are true. Can’t we just celebrate a victory lmao.
i-want-to-be-nice-but-everyone-annoys-me-facebook-8903558.png

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I really enjoyed that game.

Demelo, Tierney scoring is a huge confidence boost. I like what both bring so far. Tierney is a solid hockey player in all facets and curious to see what he can do with some PP time.

Boedker has been sandbagging I guess in preseason. I think he had a lot of people fooled but he is very noticeable out there.

Chabot was outstanding. In fact , most of the defence was.

Boro struggled again and wonder with him having the least minutes on D of Harpur might dress tomorrow. Hope so. He wasn't terrible, just not good enough.

Ceci decent.

I love Stone's reaction to every goal and while I am not a Smith fan, it looks like the waiving has had the desired effect. Didn't you love the high five between between them after the empty netter?

I'm pumped, but realistic. There will be tough games. But I will worry about those at the appropriate time!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ya the waive might have been the kick in the pants that smith needed

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It’s not a rebuild. It’s a wholesale cost-cutting measure marketed as a rebuild by a group trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the casual fan. Everyone can see that. Can’t rebuikd without a 1st champ.

You have to still consider that Matt Duchene is a very good center, and what we got for that 1st.

And there is nothing wrong with including a 26yr old #1C in your rebuild.

If he gets traded for scrap pieces then yes it was a complete disaster.

If the Sens aren't as bad as everyone thought this year though, this is a complete non factor.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It’s not a rebuild. It’s a wholesale cost-cutting measure marketed as a rebuild by a group trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the casual fan. Everyone can see that. Can’t rebuikd without a 1st champ.
I disagree, just because Ottawa doesn't have a significant first for next season doesn't mean anything at this time. They had two firsts just this past draft, they had two firsts when they drafted White & Chabot, sometimes having two firsts makes up for not having one every now & then because they gave away a first to bring in a centre most on here wanted. Given this team was the second worse team in the league last yr they had to make changes & some of those tough decisions included getting rid of players who made a lot of money or whose contracts were ending & they were going to cash in. IMO it was the necessary thing to do to cut costs & rebuild with youth as numerous other NHL teams have done & are doing.

They seem to have a good number of very good young prospects coming to make up for possibly not having a first next yr & maybe a couple of them late rounders will surprise & play like a first rounder is expected to play. Lajoie has stepped up unexpectedly, Gustavsson has #1 potential, Formenton is having another exceptional camp, Batherson & Brown have tremendous potential & Jaros & JBD should improve our defence in future. Ottawa has plenty of pieces to build a championship team & should have more good pieces in place in future. So far I like what I see & think this team is far more exciting to watch & they have tremendous potential for the future.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Loved watching that game, two quick goals and I was thinking it was going to be a long night, then two quick goals again and I was thinking, 'but for who?'

Ha, love how happy the guys all look, and our new players, both young and older, have been outstanding compared to expectations.

Looking forward to adding BT one of these days soon!

Go Sens

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Brady Tkachuk is changing the face of this franchise from a soft easy to play against team to a hard nosed, tough & hard to play against team, no more easy two pts when they come to Ottawa. While I support Mark Stone being the next captain of this franchise I would also support Tkachuk as an alternate captain & future captain in a few yrs time. They should also have the motto that they never quit which would also be a big change from last yr.

Trade by Deadline: Pyatt, Paajarvi, Carey & Wideman
Insert into Lineup: Brown, Paul, Chlapik, Jaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad