Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bileur said:
What he said.

giphy.gif

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well why don't you enlighten us ChocolateLeclaire instead of just running and ducking like the other two posters who jumped all over this? I don't believe that the Sens need to invest in yet another practice facility just because "it's across the river" in order to potentially win the hearts of a certain linguistic demographic in our population?

They are the Ottawa Senators for a reason and not the Ottawa-Gatineau Senators. The San Jose Sharks don't sit there contemplating ways to appease the good folks who live in San Francisco by building a practice facility there? Wouldn't make any sense considering traffic and infrastructure issues they'd experience. On the other hand Buffalo doesn't court Niagara Falls Ontario by building a rink in that city as there are already tons of Sabre fans over on the Canadian side.

So if there "tons" of Sens fans already in existence in Hull, then let them drive over across the bridge like everyone else and support our team. let them secure funding via their own sources. Here's a test. Next season, how about having an exhibition game at the Guertin in Hull. Tickets can only be sold to those French speaking residents who live in Quebec. See how many people cheer for Montreal in relation to the Sens. You'd be surprised of the ratio. Yes I'm sure there are Ottawa fans that live in Gatineau but by building a new practice facility you are not going to automatically start converting fans by the masses. Not going to happen!

It's hard to enlighten the unenlightened but here's my misguided attempt to reason with someone who is being completely obtuse to the numerous factors why supporting a city literally within walking distance is beneficial for the Ottawa Senators.

Firstly, your assertion that San Jose makes no effort in San Francisco is RIDICULOUS. As someone who works in the tech industry and spends many a week in San Fran, the San Jose Sharks advertise themselves as a "Bay Area's Hockey Team" including numerous ads, billboards, cross-promotional efforts with the Giants and Warriors AND funding numerous youth hockey programs in San Francisco.

Secondly, who gives a flying **** how many Habs fans there are in Gatineau now?!? The point of investing in the Gatineau area is to build good will with numerous Senator fans that live in Gatineau but also cultivate new fans from children who live there. What do you honestly think is more influential on a young child, seeing Karlsson skate live in a practice and then meeting him post practice for an autograph and photo or watching PK Subban play in a city two hours away on TV? The whole "there are Habs fans, lets stay away" is such a ridiculous way of looking at it. By that logic, why do the Senators even bother with trying to cultivate fans in Ottawa? I mean, there are SOOOOOO many Habs and Leafs fans that there would be no point, right?!? Oh wait, they realized 20 years ago if the focused on children they could cultivate a fan base that way so that in time, those kids would buy tickets and root for the home team as opposed to who their parents cheered for.

Nah, that's a stupid idea, let's do what Barbershoppe wants and give up.

As for the actual name of the franchise, we're actually registered as the Ottawa Senators/Senateurs d'Ottawa so again, this franchise, from day one, sought to take advantage of the many French-speaking people in the Ottawa region. WHICH INCLUDES GATINEAU.

So let me reiterate. SO. MUCH. WRONG.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
The fact Ottawa is even reaching out to Gatineau is a disgrace. Working for the greater good of hockey sounds OK, but have you seen some of the local arenas in this city? Most local arenas are dumps, they should be bulldozed and built to NA standards. I will boycott the Senators if they fund Gatineau with anything, especially with the Senators name on it.

Not sure if you are trolling or not...

Just so that I understand, you will boycott the Senators for helping a local storied junior franchise because they havent invested inrenovating local, city owned arenas?

If that is truly how you feel then I urge you to stop cheering for the Sens right away, conditional support like you are suggesting is not needed, wanted or welcomed.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Man, I'm drooling...

And FYI, Aylmer<->Kanata, 45 minutes in rush hour traffic. The blockage is at the bridge on Aylmer/Lucerene (morning) or JAM Parkway/Island Park (afternoon)

You are probably taking the Parkway and by passing the ugly 417 rush hour traffic. On game nights when the roads are bad it is taking you at least an hour to get from one end to the next, probably longer.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
TLDR: Barbershoppe is wrong, a Sensplex in Gatineau would be awesome.

I still don't see a downside for the sens in your posts.

First, consider that the sensplexes seem to have been successes everywhere they have been built. You say the sens don't "need" to invest; Cyril Leeder says in the article that these rinks make money. Leaving aside the potential market growth, why wouldn't any organization invest in a profitable venture? Now add in the potential for the province and municipality to kick in 52 million dollars, why wouldn't an organization do it then?

Second consider long term market growth and immediate potential for increasing returns on marketing investment. Building this sensplex gives the Sens a much larger presence and foothold in Gatineau. A tie to the community which could influence a portion of several hundred thousand individuals living within an hour of the CTC to follow the Sens. Sure, some if it is a long term investment trying to influence children to become future Sens fans, but this has been the Sens marketing strategy for 20+ years, why would it change across the river?

Not to mention the Sens have possibly the best purpose built Gatineau marketing tool in JG Pageau. Born and bred in Hull, former captain of the Olympique's who went to the Pique's games as a child. A guy who plays a fan favourite type of hard working game. Having a photo op with Eugene, Cyril, JG, the Mayor of Gatineau (etc.) to cut the ribbon and open the rink is a marketing person's dream.

Consider the fact that at least some of these fans would be Habs fans and that at the same time that you're building your own fanbase you're chipping away at theirs.
Add in the fact that the Sens want to build a new rink at Lebreton and that it wouldn't have an easily accessible team-owned practice facility in proximity to the new rink. This Sensplex could serve that purpose. Regarding the potential Lebreton facility, consider the fact that having the facility in that location will be significantly more accessible to fans in Gatineau and that many individuals from Québec will be more likely to make the trip.

It honestly seems like a win-win. There is no downside here. The option the sens are pursuing gives them a chance to grow their brand significantly.

Strawman and a strawman with poor factual assumptions at that.

First we don’t know that San Francisco or Niagara Falls need a rink.

Second, Ottawa and Gatineau are closer and more merged than San Francisco and San Jose or Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

Third, your argument is ridiculous. Most professional sports teams try to increase their market like this. You try to increase the number of “touches” between your organization and fans or clients. It’s basic.

Are you aware that the San Francisco Giants’ class A farm team is located in San Jose? That the San Francisco 49’ers home stadium is located in San Jose? That the San Jose’s Sharks’ first rink was in Daly City (right next to San Francisco)? What about the fact that the Sharks actually had an ECHL team called the San Francisco Bulls from 2012 to 2014?

What about the Buffalo Bills frequently developing their Canadian market with games in Toronto? They’re put an end to it now, but it surely contributed to the fact that 10000-15000 of the Bills’ game day attendees come from southern Ontario. You don’t see the Bills saying “go watch the Argos”.

For that matter, why does the NFL hold games in London? Why are the Steelers considering a home game in Mexico? Why does the NHL broadcast games in Punjabi or in Spanish?

Why create artificial limits and exclude fans when other (more successful) leagues are working hard to break down borders?

Increasing the Sens reach in the NCR and in Québec could lead to good things. Hopefully eventually more games being broadcasted in French, which could help capture some other Québec or Maritime fans. I don’t see a downside.

There are many sens fans living in Gatineau. You say “let them make the drive”… they do make the drive, look at the plates in the parking lot, having a Sensplex in Gatineau wouldn’t change that. It would allow the Sens to play a major part in saving a Junior team, developing fandom in their local region, creating new sources of revenue and giving them a potential practice facility for the future.

Besides, why would you run a test where only francophones in Gatineau could buy tickets? It makes no sense.

First, francophones are present at current sens games. I’m sure many francophones from Gatineau are present too.

Second, the Gatineau region has plenty of Anglophones with over 10% reporting English as mother tongue or language spoken most frequently at home, and 65% of residents of Gatineau reporting being bilingual. Why would you exclude Anglophones? Should you also exclude bilinguals?

Third, Ottawa has plenty of francophones, and a large portion of bilinguals. Would you exclude these individuals from any “tests” in Ottawa? I know many posters on this very board are francophone, including myself, does not make us any less of a fan? Should you exclude Orleans from the Sens potential demographic because it has such a high concentration of francophones?

I don’t understand the viewpoint of people like you and Ttracer. Where is the downside?

Finally, it’s not your money, what do you care?

People like me eh? Well I suppose in your world only your opinion matters right? Everything you wrote is purely subjective and has very little facts to back it up. Never said anything about hosting a game strictly for Anglos so nice try. Both San Francisco and Niagara Falls do need new arenas thank you very much. The old Cow Palace is no-existent and hasn't been for some time now. The Warrior’s play In Oakland across the Bay Bridge. The 49's play in Santa Clara and not San Jose. Both of these cities (San Jose & then Buffalo respectively) are merged quite tight so you are incorrect. The falls is literally across the border from Buffalo and is part of the Buffalo-Niagara region. The Bay area is huge and your ignorance is justified when speaking about something you know nothing of. When ALL of the fans at Gatineau Olympiques home games actually start standing up and removing their caps for the playing of the National Anthem then you’ll get my attention. Source Ottawa 67's inter-league play going back 20 years

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When ALL of the fans at Gatineau Olympiques home games actually start standing up and removing their caps for the playing of the National Anthem then you’ll get my attention.

Give me a break. They don't even do that at Sens games. There's always a bunch of teenagers/adults who forget or don't care.

Source: Sens ticket holder since 2003.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
People like me eh? Well I suppose in your world only your onion matters right? Everything you wrote is purely subjective and has very little facts to back it up. Never said anything about hosting a game strictly for Anglos so nice try. Both San Francisco and Niagara Falls do need new arenas thank you very much. The old Cow Palace is no-existent and hasn't been for some time now. The Warrior’s play In Oakland across the Bay Bridge. The 49's play in Santa Clara and not San Jose. Both of these cities (San Jose & then Buffalo respectively) are merged quite tight so you are incorrect. The falls is literally across the border from Buffalo and is part of the Buffalo-Niagara region. The Bay area is huge and your ignorance is justified when speaking about something you know nothing of. When ALL of the fans at Gatineau Olympiques home games actually start standing up and removing their caps for the playing of the National Anthem then you’ll get my attention. Source Ottawa 67's inter-league play going back 20 years

People in glass houses...

Santa Clara is literally less than 15 minutes from San Jose.

Please keep going. This level of ignorance is amusing for all of us.

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
It's hard to enlighten the unenlightened but here's my misguided attempt to reason with someone who is being completely obtuse to the numerous factors why supporting a city literally within walking distance is beneficial for the Ottawa Senators.

Firstly, your assertion that San Jose makes no effort in San Francisco is RIDICULOUS. As someone who works in the tech industry and spends many a week in San Fran, the San Jose Sharks advertise themselves as a "Bay Area's Hockey Team" including numerous ads, billboards, cross-promotional efforts with the Giants and Warriors AND funding numerous youth hockey programs in San Francisco.

Secondly, who gives a flying **** how many Habs fans there are in Gatineau now?!? The point of investing in the Gatineau area is to build good will with numerous Senator fans that live in Gatineau but also cultivate new fans from children who live there. What do you honestly think is more influential on a young child, seeing Karlsson skate live in a practice and then meeting him post practice for an autograph and photo or watching PK Subban play in a city two hours away on TV? The whole "there are Habs fans, lets stay away" is such a ridiculous way of looking at it. By that logic, why do the Senators even bother with trying to cultivate fans in Ottawa? I mean, there are SOOOOOO many Habs and Leafs fans that there would be no point, right?!? Oh wait, they realized 20 years ago if the focused on children they could cultivate a fan base that way so that in time, those kids would buy tickets and root for the home team as opposed to who their parents cheered for.

As for the actual name of the franchise, we're actually registered as the Ottawa Senators/Senateurs d'Ottawa so again, this franchise, from day one, sought to take advantage of the many French-speaking people in the Ottawa region. WHICH INCLUDES GATINEAU.

damn straight! U been told!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The fact that there are those who think that a private business which isn't even publicly traded deciding to invest locally is a bad thing due to silly things like who cheers for who is profoundly saddening

The child who is a Habs fan "deserves" a local rink/arena as much as anyone (who lives in area in which a private business has decided to invest)

I am probably the biggest Habs hater on this board but some of you take it way too far

Also worth keeping in mind that if everything goes according to plan the Senators will be playing at Lebreton which is pretty damn close to Gatineau/Hull which makes this kind of move all kinds of smart.

EDIT: oh Barbershoppe is just a French hater... Well that explains his point of view

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
When ALL of the fans at Gatineau Olympiques home games actually start standing up and removing their caps for the playing of the National Anthem then you’ll get my attention. Source Ottawa 67's inter-league play going back 20 years

What is this, just some decades-old bitter grudge?

Jesus, let it go. What if they were proposing building an arena in Smiths Falls? Would your opinion be the same, or is this just an anti-French thing?.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto

Glad you've mastered the Caps Locks on your keyboard. Well considering your sole intention from the onslaught is to poke and prod you literally And you're arguing with me over the Bay Area? LOL Unlike you who worked a few weeks in the tech industry" I actually lived in the bay area for quite a few years so have no credibility whatsoever.

And where did I say that "San Jose makes no effort in San Francisco?" My reference was in relation to the fact that the Sharks market has primarily been established throughout the entire Bay Area. Of course sporting franchises are always looking to further develop their product, who says hockey in California is the exception? ******** statement!

My other points stand.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
You are probably taking the Parkway and by passing the ugly 417 rush hour traffic. On game nights when the roads are bad it is taking you at least an hour to get from one end to the next, probably longer.

Actually, I often drop off my wife to work at Les Terrases de la Chaudiere, then head out to Kanata, crossing at Chaudiere. Either I'll take the parkway all the way to Lincoln Fields or I'll head south on Parkdale and get on the 417W there, doesn't seem to make a difference for time. Often I'll do the same in reverse - again with no significant impact on time either way.

Wait, why are we talking commute times? Oh, investing in public transit? I have very strong opinions on lost opportunities in this field, but it's way off topic.

To bring it back on-topic - Selfiishly I would love for it to be in Aylmer, but I know that's not going to happen. I guess the Plateau would be my second choice. If it can get the minor hockey games out of Beaudry and/or Cholette (as was proposed earlier), that would be great. I actually haven't been to Stade since the Branchaud-Briere opened. Something similar further west would be great.

To the great Habs/Sens debate: My sons attend French first language schools in Aylmer. Our language at home is english, only because you don't learn effective french growing up in southwestern Ontarion. My oldest son is the hockey player and Sens fan. I think the rest of the school is Habs fans. As well, my own experience is that transplants from the other regions of Quebec tend to bring their Montreal allegiance with them.

But that really should have nothing to do with this. I really see no one, neither city, none of the teams, no citizen, losing out on this, it's a no brainer.

giphy.gif

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Give me a break. They don't even do that at Sens games. There's always a bunch of teenagers/adults who forget or don't care.

Source: Sens ticket holder since 2003.

:huh:

I was referring to inter-league OHL/QMHL action between the Ottawa 67's and Hull/Gatineau not the Ottawa Senators. The two aren't even related.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Glad you've mastered the Caps Locks on your keyboard. Well considering your sole intention from the onslaught is to poke and prod you literally And you're arguing with me over the Bay Area? LOL Unlike you who worked a few weeks in the tech industry" I actually lived in the bay area for quite a few years so have no credibility whatsoever.

And where did I say that "San Jose makes no effort in San Francisco?" My reference was in relation to the fact that the Sharks market has primarily been established throughout the entire Bay Area. Of course sporting franchises are always looking to further develop their product, who says hockey in California is the exception? ******** statement!

My other points stand.

Yes, your other points do stand. They stand as a beacon of incredible wrongness.

And I, too lived in the Bay Area. So your residency there, adds nothing to your misbegotten point that the Sharks did not invest in the Bay Area. In fact, I provided a link to a San Jose Sharks investment in Fremont, CA where they built a full-sized rink for a minor-pro team and a series of smaller rinks to support local hockey.

But you're just a francophobe trying to use this attempt by the Senators to extend their brand as a pulpit to spew nonsense.

200_s.gif

We all know who does and who doesn't have credibility here in this discussion.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Yes, your other points do stand. They stand as a beacon of incredible wrongness.

And I, too lived in the Bay Area. So your residency there, adds nothing to your misbegotten point that the Sharks did not invest in the Bay Area. In fact, I provided a link to a San Jose Sharks investment in Fremont, CA where they built a full-sized rink for a minor-pro team and a series of smaller rinks to support local hockey.

But you're just a francophobe trying to use this attempt by the Senators to extend their brand as a pulpit to spew nonsense.

200_s.gif

We all know who does and who doesn't have credibility here in this discussion.

At first I thought you were trolling, now I realize the bumps on your head really do matter! :D

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I was referring to inter-league OHL/QMHL action between the Ottawa 67's and Hull/Gatineau not the Ottawa Senators. The two aren't even related.

You're saying that somehow Hull fans not taking their hats off means something?

People forget or decide not to do that all the time at Senators games.

I guess they must all be francophones too.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think your mirror just broke... :D

At first I thought you were trolling, now I realize the bumps on your head really do matter! :D

Oh my god, you are the worst at this.

How's the air in the 1950's, by the way? Hell of an post-war economy you guys have going, there. I bet you're looking forward to seeing what Diefenbaker can do now that he's pushed St.Laurent out of office.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

At first I thought you were trying to make a point, then I realized trying to reason with the gibberish you posted was a futile effort.

Please, humour me. Provide ONE legitimate reason, the Ottawa Senators, a business, should not attempt to expand their reach in the Ottawa-Gatineau area. A business plan numerous other franchises attempt, including the San Jose Sharks.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Here we go again. More appeasement. I hope this never gets built. Let Hull or Gatineau or whatever they're called pay for their own arena. Ottawa has the 67's which many people don't seem to be care about or be supporting nowadays anyway so don't even think about a team in another province. Why don't the Habnots step in and offer to pay? They're all Montreal fans over there anyway!

I've read the entire thread and I'm truly trying to understand your point of view. I don't understand what is bad with the Ottawa Senators trying to expand their brand. Would you be able to explain it to me in a logical way?

I want to understand your point of view and why you're so against it.

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
What is wrong with you? I live in Gatineau. I am a huge sens fan and I am so proud of my team for stepping up and helping my community! First, some outdoor rinks and then this. I love this team! Thank you, thank you, thank you

Same. Vancouver-born, Ottawa/Orleans/Kanata-raised, raising my family in Gatineau, HUGE Sens fan.

ANY initiative that boosts Gatineau infrastructure while putting some money in the coffers and ALSO could see some Habs jerseys replaced with Sens jerseys definitely gets my vote of approval.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've read the entire thread and I'm truly trying to understand your point of view. I don't understand what is bad with the Ottawa Senators trying to expand their brand. Would you be able to explain it to me in a logical way?

I want to understand your point of view and why you're so against it.

I think he's been exposed as a French hater unfortunately

Oh well, you can't please everyone I suppose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad