News Article: Sens talking to Gatineau about new arena complex

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...s-to-tighten-security-at-canadian-tire-centre

Build it and they won’t leave?

The Ottawa Senators could end up playing a major role in the building of a replacement complex for Gatineau’s broken down Robert Guertin Arena.

In so doing, they could also help keep the Gatineau Olympiques, one of the most storied franchises in major junior hockey, from leaving following the 2017-18 season, when the 56-year-old Guertin arena is scheduled for demolition.

In a statement Tuesday, Senators Sports and Entertainment president Cyril Leeder signaled the organization’s intention to work closely with Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneault-Jobin on “a strategy to meet the growing demand for new ice facilities in their community.”

There was no specific mention of the Olympiques or the Robert Guertin Arena, but in early June, Gatineau city council put out the call for private sector help after scrapping its plan to construct a facility which would have housed the Olympiques and included a performing arts studio. Rising costs – a facility boasting a 5,000-seat arena could cost anywhere from $60 million-$75 million to build – was the major reason for the vote against the project.

Now along come the Senators, who through their Capital Sports Management arm, already operate the Bell Sensplex, Cavanagh Sensplex and Richcraft Sensplex.

“Senators Sports & Entertainment, through our Sensplex model, is in the business of partnering with municipalities to deliver multi-purpose recreational facilities to the community,” Leeder’s statement read. “To date, we have had very preliminary discussions with city officials to express our interest in being part of a solution.”

On July 13, Capital Sports registered with the Quebec lobbyist registry, a necessary first step before engaging in talks with Gatineau city council.

In case you havnt been following the news on the other side of the river, a plan to replace the piques arena fell apart in June. Sens could now swoop in and save the day. It's interesting given that they're working on a lebreton flats proposal right now too. A hull arena could end up serving as the sens primary practice pad.

Ttracer*

Most of the team lives in the west end, Carlton place etc. There is no chance Ottawa stops using bell sensplex, especially with the high end sports training/ rehab center attached.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not a big fan of them hiring people to lobby city council on this. Lord knows that side of the pond can't afford something of that stature. Its nice they want to help though but I'm not sure this would be a worthwhile investment for that community, but then again I don't live there or follow their politics.

It'd be nice if Melnyk is willing to become an investor on a new project though. It'd be a tragedy if the Olympiques left town.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Most of the team lives in the west end, Carlton place etc. There is no chance Ottawa stops using bell sensplex, especially with the high end sports training/ rehab center attached.

You do know there are THREE Sensplexes already, right?

They don't practice at the other two so I doubt they practice in Gatineau either if this gets built.

However, doing so, even sporadically, would help expand the fan base further.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I sincerely hope this happens. The Olympiques are such a great tradition and Gatineau would be so much less appealing without them. Considering it's already low appeal, this would be a tragedy.

Good on the region's major sports team to swoop in to try and save them!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Would be nice if the new arena name is sens related, assuming most of the olympiques fans are habs fans when it comes to the NHL it would be nice to have that over them in an argument.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This is cool. I hope something can be worked out.

*If* an arena happens at Lebreton, I could see the Senators holding some open practices at this potentially new Piques arena to stimulate fan interest on the Hull side.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

There is no chance they will be training in Kanata if LF arena is built.
Most likely OP is right, sens are trying to negotiate practice pad next to Olympiques place. They won't be able to build anything close by on the Ontario side - it would be a waste of prime real estate space and will never be approved by the city.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Most likely OP is right, sens are trying to negotiate practice pad next to Olympiques place. They won't be able to build anything close by on the Ontario side - it would be a waste of prime real estate space and will never be approved by the city.

actually, there's an existing rink at bayview that probably needs to be reconstructed at some point. Could be a future sensplex if needed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm really liking what I'm hearing out of the front office

Yeah the anniversary logo isn't too hot but stuff like this is encouraging

Ttracer*

The fact Ottawa is even reaching out to Gatineau is a disgrace. Working for the greater good of hockey sounds OK, but have you seen some of the local arenas in this city? Most local arenas are dumps, they should be bulldozed and built to NA standards. I will boycott the Senators if they fund Gatineau with anything, especially with the Senators name on it.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The fact Ottawa is even reaching out to Gatineau is a disgrace. Working for the greater good of hockey sounds OK, but have you seen some of the local arenas in this city? Most local arenas are dumps, they should be bulldozed and built to NA standards. I will boycott the Senators if they fund Gatineau with anything, especially with the Senators name on it.

So the Senators should be responsible for building ALL the arenas in this city? Despite the fact that they've already built 3 here?

Good lordy please make this happen so Ttracer boycotts the Senators....please...

Ttracer*

So the Senators should be responsible for building ALL the arenas in this city? Despite the fact that they've already built 3 here?

Good lordy please make this happen so Ttracer boycotts the Senators....please...
You actually want a Sens arena on Quebec soil? That's so insane. Sensplex 1 is a great complex, far away from the media and fans. We still make it out but still. Focus on hockey not helping the Gatineau Olympiques have a better building. When was the last time Quebec invested in Ottawa hockey? This is extremely controversial imo, we have the 67s and tons of rep teams that play in horrible arenas. I will be irate if anything with a Senators name on it pops up in Quebec

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
You actually want a Sens arena on Quebec soil? That's so insane. Sensplex 1 is a great complex, far away from the media and fans. We still make it out but still. Focus on hockey not helping the Gatineau Olympiques have a better building. When was the last time Quebec invested in Ottawa hockey? This is extremely controversial imo, we have the 67s and tons of rep teams that play in horrible arenas. I will be irate if anything with a Senators name on it pops up in Quebec

Wait... didn't the 67's arena get renovated?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Go to Mlack arena, Richmond, Manotick, Stittsville, Cumberland, Orleans and maybe you'll understand why supporting Quebec hockey is the worst idea on earth.

Why should the Senators care about the provincial border? They aren't the Ontario Senators. They represent the entire of Eastern Ontario and West Quebec. You act like the Sens are an arm of the Ontario government.

Mr_Squeaks

Poor Impulse Control
Jul 2, 2006
Ottawa
Go to Mlack arena, Richmond, Manotick, Stittsville, Cumberland, Orleans and maybe you'll understand why supporting Quebec hockey is the worst idea on earth.

Gatineau is not Montreal. It's a suburb of Ottawa. There are Quebec-born players who consider the Sens their home-town team. We have fans who come across the bridge to support us, not just to sing Ole.

There's a lot of controversy involved in inter-provincial politics, even in sport. But those are people over there, no different than the people on THIS side of the river. I would be incredibly proud to see a joint project involving the Sens keeping the Olympique in the area.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Maybe the Sens are looking at building their fan base across the river and, at the same time, reducing the Habs presence.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Dude, they'd be traveling halfway across Ottawa, not from one side of the GTA to the other. Do you have any idea how many thousands of people live in Hawkesbury and work in Ottawa, and make that kind of commute daily? Going from Kanata to Hull/Gatineau is a freaking piece of cake by comparison.

Cumberland and Orleans rinks are in fine shape.

If this thing has the potential to save the Olympiques, then hell yeah! They're a team with some good history and amazing fans. They deserve to keep their team. Having a Sens tie-in would be amazing to help convert any Montreal/Quebec City fans over to us.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
This is not an Ontario vs Quebec issue, don't turn it into one.

Furthermore, Gatineau is part of the Ottawa CMA if I remember federal census correctly, so it is the Sens supporting the Ottawa region.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sens built 3 great multi-rink facilities in Ottawa. Time to do something for the community on the Q side, especially if their new home is a stone throw away from the border.
Besides, if they train in Quebec there will be more ice time for regular people in Ontario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad